Release Classic Apogee Games (Full Versions)

Any of these classics can be played via DosBox or Qemu (these version run DosBox in the background as well). Everybody knows that. And that's not the point of these offers.

Any of these classics can be played via DosBox or Qemu (these version run DosBox in the background as well). Everybody knows that. And that's not the point of these offers.
Indeed. Part of it is that people haven't played the remaining episodes and part of it is communicating to people that there is some market for commercial software on this platform.

Most of the games I've bought for my Pandy were games that I already owned.

Never heard of this one, but bought it anyway just to support further Pandora releases.  I only see 2 downloads so far, including me :-(

Never heard of this one, but bought it anyway just to support further Pandora releases.  I only see 2 downloads so far, including me :-(
I think most of you missed the spot, when pollo pollo and arora rift was released. Many of users from boards was talking about this and that. And what they dont like in these productions [negative comments are stil present in repo, btw]. I think we missed a small window of opportunity then to really get new releases in future. It was a time to support indie devs, but that time passed away, and OP community didnt really care [especially how many of you comment DRM's in Pollo Pollo and lack of 800x480 res in AR].  There is a reason why arora rift and pollo pollo creators didnt released anything new & commercial on OP since then.. [when new games from these autors popups on other platforms..]

Last edited by a moderator:
Never heard of this one, but bought it anyway just to support further Pandora releases. I only see 2 downloads so far, including me :-(
I think most of you missed the spot, when pollo pollo and arora rift was released. Many of users from boards was talking about this and that. And what they dont like with these productions. I think we missed a small window of opportunity then to really get new releases in future. It was a time to support indie devs, but that time passed away, and OP community didnt really care. There is a reason why arora rift and pollo pollo creators didnt released anything new & commercial on OP since then.. [when new games from these autors popups on other platforms..]
I bought those too lol. But as small as the community is, I guess the ones that don't mind supporting with their pocketbooks are even smaller.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk

Never heard of this one, but bought it anyway just to support further Pandora releases. I only see 2 downloads so far, including me :-(
I think most of you missed the spot, when pollo pollo and arora rift was released. Many of users from boards was talking about this and that. And what they dont like with these productions. I think we missed a small window of opportunity then to really get new releases in future. It was a time to support indie devs, but that time passed away, and OP community didnt really care. There is a reason why arora rift and pollo pollo creators didnt released anything new & commercial on OP since then.. [when new games from these autors popups on other platforms..]
I bought those too lol. But as small as the community is, I guess the ones that don't mind supporting with their pocketbooks are even smaller.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk
Its hard to believe we're small community when 3500 pandoras are released [or even more] and for example PCSX Rearmed was downloaded 10.000 times. Compared to downloads of pollo pollo its visible that something is wrong with community. 0,1% of people purchased pollo pollo that owns OP already. Ewen when we're small community, why there's no 3500 downloads of pollo pollo? IMHO, thanks open source people just get lazy enough to not support new releases on OP platform. If there would be no 'ports' the hunger for commercial releases would be bigger. 

I'm not going to buy a game I am not interested in, or which I think does not meet a certain level of quality making it worth to pay for. For me it doesn't make sense to buy such titles just to encourage to get more of them. Give me something I like and I'm happy to pay for it.

Actually I tried just that yesterday, but somehow my payment for VVVVVV is not being booked ... I hope it will within the next days or so.

Its hard to believe we're small community when 3500 pandoras are released [or even more] and for example PCSX Rearmed was downloaded 10.000 times. Compared to downloads of pollo pollo its visible that something is wrong with community. 0,1% of people purchased pollo pollo that owns OP already. Ewen when we're small community, why there's no 3500 downloads of pollo pollo? IMHO, thanks open source people just get lazy enough to not support new releases on OP platform. If there would be no 'ports' the hunger for commercial releases would be bigger.
Why throwing useless numbers around ? PCSX Rearmed was downloaded ~10000 times, but this includes also updates and redownloads. And downloads don't tell anything about usage - I downloaded PCSX Rearmed several times over the years, but barely use (I have only one PS game).There are more than 3500 Pandoras sold, but not everybody is a regular forum or repo user, nor does everbody share the same interests. And some of these people may even think that they already do support the community enough by donating to the preorder fund, or think they have already invested enough, if they got screwed over by craig.

Postulating about somethings "wrong" with the community without any real arguments seem quite wrong to me.

I'm not going to buy a game I am not interested in, or which I think does not meet a certain level of quality making it worth to pay for. For me it doesn't make sense to buy such titles just to encourage to get more of them. Give me something I like and I'm happy to pay for it.
second (except the quality part).

Why throwing useless numbers around ? PCSX Rearmed was downloaded ~10000 times, but this includes also updates and redownloads. And downloads don't tell anything about usage - I downloaded PCSX Rearmed several times over the years, but barely use (I have only one PS game).
There are more than 3500 Pandoras sold, but not everybody is a regular forum or repo user, nor does everbody share the same interests. And some of these people may even think that they already do support the community enough by donating to the preorder fund, or think they have already invested enough, if they got screwed over by craig.

Postulating about somethings "wrong" with the community without any real arguments seem quite wrong to me.

second (except the quality part).
All i can say, is community as whole didnt care about sustaining indie dev to grow [then and now]. You're in particular on the 'wrong' side, when you're saying that you will not buy anything without 'subjective quality'. Spoeaking about arora rift and pollo pollo, how you judge quality of app iftheres no demo version of those, releas3ed in the past?

And downloading a software just for 'downloading sake' isnt good anyway. 

About useless numbers.. throw any number of users that regularly using op, and there will be still 0,x % that bought pollo pollo, and wants to sustain indie dev in OP. So dont expect new games/apps from indie dev on OP when download counter for commecrial games are below 100. 

Even if pollo pollo takes 2-3 months of coding to complete, the game dev earns only few dollars max so it means , it is just not worth the time to code anything commercial for OP. 

All i can say, is community as whole didnt care about sustaining indie dev to grow [then and now]. You're in particular on the 'wrong' side, when you're saying that you will not buy anything without 'subjective quality'. Spoeaking about arora rift and pollo pollo, how you judge quality of app iftheres no demo version of those, releas3ed in the past?

thats why I put "except the quality part" in my post, "quality" is rarely part of my decision making process of buying a game
About useless numbers.. throw any number of users that regularly using op, and there will be still 0,x % that bought pollo pollo, and wants to sustain indie dev in OP. So dont expect new games/apps from indie dev on OP when download counter for commecrial games are below 100. 

Even if pollo pollo takes 2-3 months of coding to complete, the game dev earns only few dollars max so it means , it is just not worth the time to code anything commercial for OP.
That's just a matter of opionen, I have no interest in supporting something just for the sake of it. I'm just not interested in the commercial releases available for the Pandora currently and so may think some others too. Other may want support it, but don't have the funds to do so, some may be niggard, etc.Making a general statement about "something is wrong" with the community in general is just plain wrong

thats why I put "except the quality part" in my post, "quality" is rarely part of my decision making process of buying a game

That's just a matter of opionen, I have no interest in supporting something just for the sake of it. I'm just not interested in the commercial releases available for the Pandora currently and so may think some others too. Other may want support it, but don't have the funds to do so, some may be niggard, etc.
Making a general statement about "something is wrong" with the community in general is just plain wrong
Not really, because there was numerous topics on boards that sounds like: "why we dont have commercial releases on OP? Pandora is a nice piece of hardware, but without luck for commercial releases" and from other hand the OP community by not supporting commercial releases just puts a nail to commercial/indie dev coffin on OP. 

Maybe , yes. I shouldnt say it as a whole community dont care, but i feel FOSS zealots slowly taking over whole boards. 

If many of You supporting dev fund + op donations , why dont support indie dev the same way? Just buy a game not for play, but for support to sustain indie devs here. This is a key to success and to have better releases in the future from Indie dev

If many of You supporting dev fund + op donations , why dont support indie dev the same way? Just buy a game not for play, but for support to sustain indie devs here. This is a key to success and to have better releases in the future from Indie dev
Because I do not believe that subsidies do any good. Supporting an Indi-dev just for the sake of it may motivate him to develop more things for the Pandora, but that does not mean much alone. It's likely that he will get the idea that people actually like/use what he is doing, and probably will try to do more of the same - which sounds like a vicious circle to me. And this wouldn't be a guarantee either that other devs would be attracted by it, or that we even see "bigger" titles released, as the Pandora (and its successor) will always be a niche device. So its not likely that someone outside the community has much interest in developing for it, if the motivation is mostly "monetary".

... but i feel FOSS zealots slowly taking over whole boards.
This is something you can expect in a forum about an open device with an open OS, based on open collaboration... and I think that those "zealots" are also the main engine of the whole thing...

This is not to say that commercial things must be banned, at the countrary, this device has a lot of use for proprietary games and apps, but it is not right to buy something just for "random supporting"... one should download something only if it is really interested in it...

This is something you can expect in a forum about an open device with an open OS, based on open collaboration... and I think that those "zealots" are also the main engine of the whole thing...

This is not to say that commercial things must be banned, at the countrary, this device has a lot of use for proprietary games and apps, but it is not right to buy something just for "random supporting"... one should download something only if it is really interested in it...
Im interested in knowing how GPL/FOSS fans would welcome free apps/games [proprietary] with AD's. This might be interesting.. 

Try and find out.

I bet it depends a lot on how it's done. If you have a game where the ADs blend in with the game (like Chupa Chubs in Zool or Quavers in Pushover) I wouldn't mind. Also static images shown when you start or quit the program are acceptable. One could even live with a banner placed somewhere in the GUI (unless it takes up too much space).

If the program starts nagging you to connect to the internet, so it can download the latest banners, or you are interrupted by pop-ups, or there are other annoying things going on, people will not accept it. Nobody likes to be annoyed. And there are a lot of ways to annoy people with ADs, and they all take a lot less effort than figuring out a way that makes them bearable.

Try and find out.

I bet it depends a lot on how it's done. If you have a game where the ADs blend in with the game (like Chupa Chubs in Zool or Quavers in Pushover) I wouldn't mind. Also static images shown when you start or quit the program are acceptable. One could even live with a banner placed somewhere in the GUI (unless it takes up too much space).

If the program starts nagging you to connect to the internet, so it can download the latest banners, or you are interrupted by pop-ups, or there are other annoying things going on, people will not accept it. Nobody likes to be annoyed. And there are a lot of ways to annoy people with ADs, and they all take a lot less effort than figuring out a way that makes them bearable.
Yeah. You said it annoys people , but this is the price for free app, as the dev want to earn some money by using alternative payments. Customer gets it for free but for "price" to watch ADs in app.

Of course it should be done in acceptable manner, popup window that not eat whole screen or sth. And the ability to turn off nag screen in actual program session.

Maybe there will be a way to override connecting to net by bundling few rotating banners, and just update them in next version in repo, so people will not be forced to connect to internet, to download banners. 

So ideal to dev and community will be releasing 2 [or 3 versions] versions of a product. Free/AD and Full/Commercial [and eventually DEMO with disabled options]

Apart from 2 or 3 people I see engaging in zealotry, I don't think we really have very many zealots on the fora. Perhaps they're here and not posting or perhaps they don't have an account at all.

I think the more likely reason for those games not doing well is that they were released so long ago. There's been nearly 3k units shipped since then and this is really the first time I've heard about several of these games. If it weren't for this topic, I wouldn't know about any pay games.

The bigger issue seems to be that you have to log into the repo in order to even see these games. I'm not even talking about buying them, but last I checked, they wouldn't even show up in the store on the handheld if you weren't browsing through the website.

Perhaps having a top paid app list like they have in the Play store would help. But, with such poor visibility, it's not really a surprise that these are selling so poorly.

Apart from 2 or 3 people I see engaging in zealotry, I don't think we really have very many zealots on the fora. Perhaps they're here and not posting or perhaps they don't have an account at all.

I think the more likely reason for those games not doing well is that they were released so long ago. There's been nearly 3k units shipped since then and this is really the first time I've heard about several of these games. If it weren't for this topic, I wouldn't know about any pay games.

The bigger issue seems to be that you have to log into the repo in order to even see these games. I'm not even talking about buying them, but last I checked, they wouldn't even show up in the store on the handheld if you weren't browsing through the website.

Perhaps having a top paid app list like they have in the Play store would help. But, with such poor visibility, it's not really a surprise that these are selling so poorly.
Very good point. I didnt know that because im not using any PND Managers on pandora. This might be the reason , that many ppl dont even know commercial apps/games on OP exists. 

@hedwards: good points, about the not so direct buy process and the off-line ads idea (like GOG.com do for their installers)

Back