Christmas Update - what happened 2021 and what will happen 2022

I forgot, did the audio coprocessor need binary only firmware to run ? Of course it needs a kernel driver and that must be free (once it works with current kernels). But does it also need a blob? I'm always interested on what works with only 100% free code. And I had 3D acceleration, and modem in my list, but not sure whether I was once told audio too (although it will work as much as it now does without the blob, I guess).
It needs an extension for the alsa kernel driver (called twl6040-abe+aess) to load the firmware. This is included in the LetuxOS kernels - but neither debugged nor working.
The "firmware" is somewhere on github - but needs to be repacked into a format that modern firmware loaders in the kernel can manage.
It was almost working some years ago (after some intensive work by Peter, Andrey and Marek and myself) but there is currently nobody who can invest the necessary time to get it back into good shape and keep it maintained.
So this would perhaps need some crowd-funding to get someone paid who knows what is missing and is able to run many hours of debugging sessions...

Merry Christmas to ED and a happy new year to everybody.

So this would perhaps need some crowd-funding to get someone paid who knows what is missing and is able to run many hours of debugging sessions...
If that what it takes so be it. Who can kick it off? I'll happily chip in.

Thank you @EvilDragon for taking the time out of your Heiligabend to update us on Pyra progress, particularly given you probably had hardly any break during the build up to Christmas... Many thanks also to your wife for supporting this project even with manual labour! I find your approach consistently refreshing in being so honourable RE keeping the Pyra price the same and your policy for case replacements, whilst covering any consequent losses to yourself with profits from your store! If only others’ business practices followed your example.
Hope you enjoyed a fröhe Weihnachten and will enjoy a gute Rutsch!
Definitely looking forward to seeing your next update when the new cases arrive and in the interests of transparency, I would be grateful if Ilyas was willing to explain to us on these boards how that single parameter managed to slip through (by the sounds of what you say it involves some rather concerning internal events...), why they’re certain that it is indeed only one incorrect parameter and what they plan to do to ensure this can’t happen again (because we definitely don’t want you suffering further financial losses from this project and we equally don’t want further delays either, particularly given the new battery cover design change).

Last edited:
It needs an extension for the alsa kernel driver (called twl6040-abe+aess) to load the firmware. This is included in the LetuxOS kernels - but neither debugged nor working.
Thanks a lot for explaining (and for your work all these years) and giving the name.
The "firmware" is somewhere on github - but needs to be repacked into a format that modern firmware loaders in the kernel can manage.
If you mean like this, then yes, it's on github, under dual GPL/BSD, but without source.
It was almost working some years ago (after some intensive work by Peter, Andrey and Marek and myself) but there is currently nobody who can invest the necessary time to get it back into good shape and keep it maintained.
Ok, understood.
Merry Christmas to ED and a happy new year to everybody.

Yes, and to you and all.

Reactions: rSl
Poster from the movie: Workplace Alone 1
merryxmas2021.jpg
Two burglars, the sticky-key bandits, try to rob a small pc shop on Christmas eve. But they just robbed the wrong shop...
By putting microchips upside down as spikes. Using a soldering gun on the doorknob, and using a very long double-shielded Cat6 cable he overpowers them
and the sticky-key bandits were made to work through christmas to assemble Pyra's.

Die Hard 1: Deleted Scene 45. The third brother Micheal Gruber falls from the Pyratomi towers. Yippee Ki Yay Pyra Hoarders!
natatomitower.jpg
Trivia: To get that face of surprise from the actor, one second before letting him go, they told him the PCB's were delayed yet again.

Last edited:
Thank you for the update, ED. I don't think I would have retained my equanimity so well as you when describing the cause of the case issue*.

As for dealing with the audio driver/firmware issues, this guy could probably do it, but I don't think we could afford him...

http://dmitry.gr/?r=05.Projects (Read the Hacking e-Ink Price Tags project)

(For those interested, the link to the Audio Driver thread with Bounty is here: https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/audio-driver-with-bounty.99429/)

Good luck with the move!

tl;dv; A change at the case producer caused the production run to produce cases that shrank more in the production process than for the prototypes. So the prototypes were fine, but the production cases had a lot of problems due to the shrinkage.

Last edited:
so for what i understand is, " 2 months and i get my Pyra. LOLOLOLOLOLOL" JK. happy everything is working out and you are fixing the bugs with it. last year sucked major balls so hopefully this year will be better for all

I am willing to help
Do you have a prototype board i can lay my hands on? Thank you.

you can directly PM me. Thanks.

That is a good solution, if all you have in an x86 box. But you can't test what you have built without using an emulator or something. But if you have access to an SBC with a similar power budget, you can code natively and test locally. Cross compiling has benefits if your x86 box is far better at compiling stuff that your ARM SBC, but that's less of a distinction than it's ever really been these days.

Sounds awesome, although like whit the original from the „best American President in the world „ I think it’s grammatically incorrect:
Make the Audio again great ..
(Mache die Tonausgabe wieder großartig)
Although I have my English from a few semesters evening shool and 3 Years in Work Shool as well as several 2 Months (tm) zykles of Pandora/Pyra Boards

Back