Release CG Madness

• Its a 1GHz unit from December 2013
  • I've run the upgrade OS tool recently, and rebooted
  • I haven't done anything unusual with drivers, so I assume its the default one
  • I'm not overclocking anything
  • I haven't forcibly killed any OGL apps since reboot
  • sysinfo says SZ R1.61 and Kernel 3.2.58

• cgmadness is using  between 2.5% and 3% cpu time, and 3.1% memory
  • The .out file is attached, after it got stuck displaying the sky image (for a few minutes at least) and had to be killed by holding the pandora button - but it doesn't seem to be much help, since I don't see any errors in it.
  • on attempting to run it again, it gives the numerous EGL errors described earlier

=======================================================================================
PND : /media/pandora-apps/pandora/menu/cgmadness_ptitseb.pnd
PND_FSTYPE : Squashfs
APPDATADIR : /media/pandora-apps/pandora/appdata/cgmadness
APPDD_FSTYPE : ext3
PND_CPUSPEED : <unset>
EXENAME : runscript.sh
ARGUMENTS : <unset>
=======================================================================================
[ START ]--- Mount the PND ----------
Mounting : mount -t squashfs -o ro "/dev/loop1" "/mnt/utmp/cgmadness"
Mounting the Union FS : mount -t aufs -o exec,dirs="/media/pandora-apps/pandora/appdata/cgmadness=rw+nolwh":"/mnt/pnd/cgmadness=rr" none "/mnt/utmp/cgmadness"
[SUCCESS]--- Mount the PND ----------
[ START ]--- Starting the application ( runscript.sh ) ----------
--------------------------------------------------------------
Setting PATH to /mnt/utmp/cgmadness:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games
System check
============
Freememory is 451
Cpu Speed is 1000
Sys Speed is 400
Nubs as mbuttons, mouse
./runscript.sh: line 91: 2945 Terminated ./cgmadness $*
[SUCCESS]--- Starting the application ( runscript.sh ) ----------
[ START ]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------
[SUCCESS]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------
[ START ]--- uMount the PND ----------
[ START ]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------
[SUCCESS]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------
auplink:plink.c:223: AUFS_CTL_PLINK_MAINT: Inappropriate ioctl for device
rmdir: failed to remove `/mnt/utmp/cgmadness': Device or resource busy
[ START ]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------
[SUCCESS]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------
cleanup done
[SUCCESS]--- uMount the PND ----------
Return code is : 1
Ok, I tested, It's defently the video driver. The default driver just don't work well enough on the Gigahertz model.

Please update your driver (go to 4.03.02, it's the most versatile driver for Gigahertz), the Notaz' SGX driver thread is there.

I'll probably add an error message to startup sript if I publish a new release, when I detect a gigahertz model and default driver.

Last edited by a moderator:
The best Marble Madness Remake out there is "Rolling Madness 3D" http://www.lucaelia.com/games.php.

I think binaries are only available for Windows, but the author says on the website "The 3D engine is based on OpenGL, SDL takes care of the interaction with the OS and FMOD is used for sound. This means the game is as multi platform as possible, and non windows builds should be fairly straightforward." ... not sure about FMOD, but if someone thinks it can be ported it might be worthwhile to contact the author.

If not this is still the best remake out there and if you have Windows running somewhere you should check it out :)

The best Marble Madness Remake out there is "Rolling Madness 3D" http://www.lucaelia.com/games.php.

I think binaries are only available for Windows, but the author says on the website "The 3D engine is based on OpenGL, SDL takes care of the interaction with the OS and FMOD is used for sound. This means the game is as multi platform as possible, and non windows builds should be fairly straightforward." ... not sure about FMOD, but if someone thinks it can be ported it might be worthwhile to contact the author.

If not this is still the best remake out there and if you have Windows running somewhere you should check it out :)
Why are there never any open source versions of this stuff :|

This looks actualy pretty good. :) Maybe contacting the Author could make a Pandora port possible? At least he writes that multi platform is not an issue.

• Its a 1GHz unit from December 2013
  • I've run the upgrade OS tool recently, and rebooted
  • I haven't done anything unusual with drivers, so I assume its the default one
  • I'm not overclocking anything
  • I haven't forcibly killed any OGL apps since reboot
  • sysinfo says SZ R1.61 and Kernel 3.2.58

• cgmadness is using  between 2.5% and 3% cpu time, and 3.1% memory
  • The .out file is attached, after it got stuck displaying the sky image (for a few minutes at least) and had to be killed by holding the pandora button - but it doesn't seem to be much help, since I don't see any errors in it.
  • on attempting to run it again, it gives the numerous EGL errors described earlier

PND : /media/pandora-apps/pandora/menu/cgmadness_ptitseb.pnd
PND_FSTYPE : Squashfs
APPDATADIR : /media/pandora-apps/pandora/appdata/cgmadness
APPDD_FSTYPE : ext3
PND_CPUSPEED : <unset>
EXENAME : runscript.sh
ARGUMENTS : <unset>
[ START ]--- Mount the PND ----------
Mounting : mount -t squashfs -o ro "/dev/loop1" "/mnt/utmp/cgmadness"
Mounting the Union FS : mount -t aufs -o exec,dirs="/media/pandora-apps/pandora/appdata/cgmadness=rw+nolwh":"/mnt/pnd/cgmadness=rr" none "/mnt/utmp/cgmadness"
[SUCCESS]--- Mount the PND ----------
[ START ]--- Starting the application ( runscript.sh ) ----------
--------------------------------------------------------------
Setting PATH to /mnt/utmp/cgmadness:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games
System check
============
Freememory is 451
Cpu Speed is 1000
Sys Speed is 400
Nubs as mbuttons, mouse
./runscript.sh: line 91: 2945 Terminated ./cgmadness $*
[SUCCESS]--- Starting the application ( runscript.sh ) ----------
[ START ]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------
[SUCCESS]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------
[ START ]--- uMount the PND ----------
[ START ]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------
[SUCCESS]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------
auplink:plink.c:223: AUFS_CTL_PLINK_MAINT: Inappropriate ioctl for device
rmdir: failed to remove `/mnt/utmp/cgmadness': Device or resource busy
[ START ]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------
[SUCCESS]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------
cleanup done
[SUCCESS]--- uMount the PND ----------
Return code is : 1
Ok, I tested, It's defently the video driver. The default driver just don't work well enough on the Gigahertz model.

Please update your driver (go to 4.03.02, it's the most versatile driver for Gigahertz), the Notaz' SGX driver thread is there.

I'll probably add an error message to startup sript if I publish a new release, when I detect a gigahertz model and default driver.
It worked!

Unfortunately, my pandora has now come down with a case case of psod and broken inductor. I shall probably have to send it off to Dr Dragon in the near future.

New build on the repo.
Updated build and libs, and using latest version of gl4es.
You can now play with shader by using the GLES2 Backend.
But as it slows down the game (on Gigahertz, I go from 25fps to 15fps), it's not enabled by default.
Tu use GLES2 Backend, it's always the same way (works on many PND now): create a file in appdata/cgmadness named .es that contain just the number 2 (and it will select GLES2 backend).

Build 02
-----------

• Refreshed build
  • Updated libs
  • Switched to gl4es
  • Added ability to play with shader.

Back