[Cancelled] Aluminium cases are NOT being made!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that a Problem?

You can Spray a new Colour on that Case when you want

another Colour ;)

Do it Yourself Colours ;)

Just order an Black one and you will see the new Colour better on it when you Change it.

Is that a Problem?

You can Spray a new Colour on that Case when you want

another Colour ;)

Do it Yourself Colours ;)

Just order an Black one and you will see the new Colour better on it when you Change it.
no, that won't do... however color is just something I dislike, not the real problem, the problem is that we still have no details on the windows, IE, the only significant difference in design from the user point of view...

O.k. let's give an Update:

We already started the redesign of the housing parts and hopefully we can order the aluminum blocks later next week. Depending on the time the material needs to be delivered, we can start milling early October and finally ship the whole stuff to ED by end of October - early November.

So, if nothing goes too wrong, you will have the "tough cases" before christmas. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds good.

What do you think, how long will it take to make one complete Alu-case? I just thought about that recently when I was reading about the iFixit iPhone 6 Plus article ( https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone+6+Plus+Teardown/29206 ). It seems that the metal iPhone hull is milled or at least partly milled. ( https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/gphoSAywifZrXOxU https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/mTp2hFEggGxOIM6P.huge ) Assuming there will be millions of these phones, how do they make that in recent time? Maybe they have thousands of Milling Machines in a row for that job, somehow impressive.

We already started the redesign of the housing parts and hopefully we can order the aluminum blocks later next week. Depending on the time the material needs to be delivered, we can start milling early October and finally ship the whole stuff to ED by end of October - early November.

So, if nothing goes too wrong, you will have the "tough cases" before christmas. :)
Man!  it's always two months! :D

Thanks for the update!

[...]

Assuming there will be millions of these phones, how do they make that in recent time? Maybe they have thousands of Milling Machines in a row for that job, somehow impressive.
I'm going to resist making a crude joke involving sandpaper and low-wage countries ...

It doesn't look like it's hand made (look at the pattern inside of the metal, clearly machined). But of course there is still alot of pure hand work in the iPhone.

I'm not so sure if the milling process will be / was used to produce the cases directly. Much more probable is pressing and then brushing. Milling was probably only used to produce the dies into which the aluminium sheets were punched, and of course the draw punch itself, as it is MUCH more expensive to remove material from a block than to conform it into a die form (for 99% of practical cases)! :)

Therefore, instead of "thousands of Milling Machines lined up", they have a single one or a few precise machines, that produce the dies for cheaper processes!

Pure milling would be used if just one or few units were to be produced. In this case, with an order of 100 units, it is hard to say, but probably is more profitable to produce one die / draw punch pair and mold sheets of alu.

In case of phone / computer manufacturers, where thousands, maybe millions of equal parts are produced, only a mad man would use milling to cut them from blocks opposed to conformation processes!

Just curious,

How did the redesign of the case go? Are the wifi window, hinge and lcd cable issues solved?

"So, if nothing goes too wrong..." Obviously not familiar with the Pandora crowd. Famous last words. ☺

Shipping to ED after the milling... I hope that my order note to ED concerning leaving the wifi window out of mine is known in time.

I hope that my order note to ED concerning leaving the wifi window out of mine is known in time.
I put that on my order page - but to be honest, without any information on the window, I'm not sure if I want it. My internal WiFi is okay, but not great, but depending where the window is, and how big would totally affect my decision.
That said, if I get one without the window, I bought a cheap WiFi dongle, so not being able to use the internal isn't too bad. Would be nice to have some sort of information, even if it's just the location on the case

Would be nice to have some sort of information, even if it's just the location on the case
Yes, this is the main reason I keep waiting.  I am getting one either way, but I want more info so I can make a decision on with wifi window or not.

That said, if I get one without the window, I bought a cheap WiFi dongle, so not being able to use the internal isn't too bad. Would be nice to have some sort of information, even if it's just the location on the case
 Maybe they were stored in a burning car. Shit happens :)
Did you mean to quote me? Because that doesn't make any sense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back