Caanoo At E3

gdsense said:
Nova said:
I notice they included a photo of the Homefront billboard. I wonder what they think of that game (Korea vs America war game)

It's between North Korea vs. America, not South Korea. :ph34r:

Beg pardon then.

Last edited by a moderator:
StreaK said:
Caanoo looks pretty.. design looks like good old Atari Lynx [v2] but in smaller form factor..<snip>

I was thinking that, this thing earns a few extra points from me as I have a soft spot for the humble LYNX.

RajTakhar said:
do we have any info on how much its going to cost
Looks real nice though

iirc it's going to be about 120€ without VAT

migo said:
Lynx eats Gameboy's shorts doesn't strike me as "humble"

The LYNX was a hugely underrated and unloved system.

I had one and when Atari went bust and the flow of games dried up, I couldnt bring myself to buy a Gameboy instead, that horrible 4 shades of grey screen looked like a toy next to the LYNX's (good at the time) backlit colour LCD.

Also, the LYNX's ungodly energy requirements made owning a GP2X painless for me.

Orkie said:
coldfis said:
horrible 4 shades of grey screen
Even worse, it was more like four shades of green!
Yeah a huge reason I got a Lynx instead. I didn't have a version 2 I had the long ass launch version. I loved my Lynx. It was made out of hard ass metal. Also, it had some really good games. I loved Gates of Zendocon, Ninja Gaiden, Blue Lightning, and Shadow of the Beast. Anyways, I do like the look of the new Caanoo, and yeah it does remind me as well of a version 2 Lynx. It seems like it will be a good system and I wonder how the 128 megs of ram will help out with certain apps. I'm surprised GPH even had money to go to E3. Getting a booth is not cheap by any means.

how much to get a booth of GPH size at E3? 15K? I heard there are rules to follow and you can get kick out if you break them with no refunds, such exhibiting products outside E3 compounds.

Is there a website that shows what EACH attendee has to show? Would be nice to discover the little gems like GPH.

I'm not sure it's underrated. While it had the hardware, in 1989 to 1990 going from playing someone else's Lynx to someone else's GameBoy, I didn't notice the lack of colours on the GameBoy. I also never played anything on the Lynx that drew me in as much as Super Mario Land - a game I still like playing to this day.

I had a Lynx and I wasn't that impressed with it. It had advanced graphics for the time, even with SNES's scaling/rotation and on sprites too boot (with projection as a catered to feature) but it was crippled by the tiny resolution (even smaller than Gameboy's!) and lack of colors (only 16 on-screen, worse than say, the 32 Game Gear offered)

Sure, it was backlit (backlighting/screen weren't very great) and had color, which was more than could be said for Gameboy, but what it offered didn't make it worth the battery guzzling.

I think my biggest pet peeve was how little effort developers (for the games I played anyway) put into sound. But that's what happens when you just give developers some DACs and tell them to go nuts, especially if you don't give them a coprocessor for it. Sure, you could do all kinds of cool things with this in theory, but Lynx didn't have the CPU to easily generate waveforms very well, so what you ended up with was a bunch of games that didn't even have music at all. I was pretty disappointed when I got Toki and found it dropped the music found in the NES version - some use of that "32-bit" sound. Gameboy games made much better use of its PSG.

migo said:
I'm not sure it's underrated. While it had the hardware, in 1989 to 1990 going from playing someone else's Lynx to someone else's GameBoy, I didn't notice the lack of colours on the GameBoy. I also never played anything on the Lynx that drew me in as much as Super Mario Land - a game I still like playing to this day.

The music still haunts me...

I do think the original GameBoy and the Color are the greatest machines ever made. I have nigh on 70 cartridges, I like them all. Hopefully with my 10 machines, I'll be able to play them all for a long time yet too!

rsuryase said:
Would be nice if Gameboy Color was 16-bit.

What's wrong with the GBA?

rsuryase said:
GBA is 32-bit. I like 16-bit graphics. Nintendo skipped 16-bit on the handheld.

What does "16-bit graphics" even mean?

Exophase said:
I had a Lynx and I wasn't that impressed with it. It had advanced graphics for the time, even with SNES's scaling/rotation and on sprites too boot (with projection as a catered to feature) but it was crippled by the tiny resolution (even smaller than Gameboy's!) and lack of colors (only 16 on-screen, worse than say, the 32 Game Gear offered)

Sure, it was backlit (backlighting/screen weren't very great) and had color, which was more than could be said for Gameboy, but what it offered didn't make it worth the battery guzzling.

I think my biggest pet peeve was how little effort developers (for the games I played anyway) put into sound. But that's what happens when you just give developers some DACs and tell them to go nuts, especially if you don't give them a coprocessor for it. Sure, you could do all kinds of cool things with this in theory, but Lynx didn't have the CPU to easily generate waveforms very well, so what you ended up with was a bunch of games that didn't even have music at all. I was pretty disappointed when I got Toki and found it dropped the music found in the NES version - some use of that "32-bit" sound. Gameboy games made much better use of its PSG.

You've pretty much covered the LYNX's "issues".

The sound and software in general was always that little bit underwhelming. Only stand out 3rd party titles like Dracula, SOTB and Lemmings showed what the system could do with sound and gfx. Atari's and Epix's in house teams seemed to produce titles with generic sound fx, and unsophisticated music and gfx, gameplay varied from sub-average to good but nothing like what Nintendo squeezed from the Gamboy.

Having said all that, I still have a fondness for that ole' slab of plastic and spent 100's of hours on the thing.

Exophase said:
rsuryase said:
GBA is 32-bit. I like 16-bit graphics. Nintendo skipped 16-bit on the handheld.

What does "16-bit graphics" even mean?

I know, mate.

In my honest opinion, it was just a whole lot of marketing bullsh*t...because if all that crap still applied today then PS3 and 360 would be/have what?...256 bit graphics?

Back