Caanoo At E3

tony11@hotmail.com said:
Are you saying you admire the OP team for not running off with everyone's money? Are you some kind of idiot?
Either way i cannot help but admire what the Open Pandora Team have done.(HEY LOOK NOVA I PUT A FULL STOP IN) At any time they could have buggered off with the money in there bank accounts, but they didn't
i put a full stop in there to indicating the end of a sentence. i did list why i admire the OPT, sorry i do not feel i have to drop down to your level and start name calling. :)
The full stop means nothing, and even if it did I wouldn't blame Nova for disregarding it on account of your god-awful grammar. Saying 'they could have buggered off with the money in there bank accounts' is a really silly thing to do straight after you praise OP for what they have done. They could have also shat in a letter and sent that instead, but I don't praise them for not doing it. I don't praise them for not replacing the Pandora's PCB with a fish, because that's just not acceptable anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
The openpandora team are lucky craig isn't the only spokesperson for the device. He antagonizes other people and GPH fairly often. Luckily, evildragon is a much nicer and fair person. I trust that he doesn't make stuff up and always seems to just want to support the community. Sometimes I get the feeling craig likes to bash gph partially to draw attention away from the massive delays the pandora has faced.

Pandora does seem to be a very nice machine and it is a great achievement that they finally got it out (in limited numbers at least) but its not perfect and neither are the openpandora team. The gph team do make a lot of mistakes and questionable decisions but they are the ones that stumbled on this whole open handheld thing. Though they don't seem to be making great technological leaps they do put out a pretty solid product. They tried some fairly new tech with the wiz oled screen but that didn't completely work out.

So, while I don't blindly buy anything I have kept my eye on both gph products and the pandora. Some people over dramatize the faults of gph and openpandora. I think overall they've both done a pretty good job considering everything.

Pandora does seem to be a very nice machine and it is a great achievement that they finally got it out (in limited numbers at least) but its not perfect and neither are the openpandora team. The gph team do make a lot of mistakes and questionable decisions but they are the ones that stumbled on this whole open handheld thing. Though they don't seem to be making great technological leaps they do put out a pretty solid product. They tried some fairly new tech with the wiz oled screen but that didn't completely work out.

So, while I don't blindly buy anything I have kept my eye on both gph products and the pandora. Some people over dramatize the faults of gph and openpandora. I think overall they've both done a pretty good job considering everything.

Well said jbrodack :)

Craig isn't a sales department type person, but he IS obstinate and bloody minded enough to drag the Pandora through to completion, most people would have just got tired of all the flack and armchair experts and just called it a day long ago, so he has the will too keep slogging, also, if I was him I would be well P*ssed off by all the sniping, insults, flames and just plain offensive posts by now, if I was Craig most of MY replies would require asbestos underwear for safe reading, keep beating a dog all the time and all you will get is bitten.

quote said:
tony11@hotmail.com said:
Are you saying you admire the OP team for not running off with everyone's money? Are you some kind of idiot?
Either way i cannot help but admire what the Open Pandora Team have done.(HEY LOOK NOVA I PUT A FULL STOP IN) At any time they could have buggered off with the money in there bank accounts, but they didn't
i put a full stop in there to indicating the end of a sentence. i did list why i admire the OPT, sorry i do not feel i have to drop down to your level and start name calling. :)
The full stop means nothing, and even if it did I wouldn't blame Nova for disregarding it on account of your god-awful grammar. Saying 'they could have buggered off with the money in there bank accounts' is a really silly thing to do straight after you praise OP for what they have done. They could have also shat in a letter and sent that instead, but I don't praise them for not doing it. I don't praise them for not replacing the Pandora's PCB with a fish, because that's just not acceptable anyway.

you seem to have only quoted half of what i actually said, but for your benefit:
At any time they could have buggered off with the money in there bank accounts, but they didn't.

perhaps i should have highlighted it for you because you seemed to have missed that bit where i said they didn't, to me that proves they are trust worthy and there customer support has been really good. When you get people complaining about the wiz that they are getting dead pixels and there emails have been ignored, that sounds bad on both the company that sold the wiz and for GPH.

tony11@hotmail.com said:
you seem to have only quoted half of what i actually said, but for your benefit:

*cough*

tony11@hotmail.com said:

Anyway,

How many people go in the Pandora forums to preach the holiness of the Wiz? Why do you all feel the need to come over here and do it here regular basis? We all know the Pandora exists, we all know you love it, if we wanted one, we'd buy one.

It is really very simple and even the most idiotic person should be able to understand: don't come over here and start fights -> no fights!

Orkie said:
tony11@hotmail.com said:

*cough*

tony11@hotmail.com said:

Anyway,

How many people go in the Pandora forums to preach the holiness of the Wiz? Why do you all feel the need to come over here and do it here regular basis? We all know the Pandora exists, we all know you love it, if we wanted one, we'd buy one.

It is really very simple and even the most idiotic person should be able to understand: don't come over here and start fights -> no fights!

:) you are right, this is the second time i have been on the wiz forums, i needed to find some information for a friend about dead pixels on the wiz, you are right of course, i am done here back to the pandora (the handheld not the forum) take it easy guys :)

oh before i go, someone said that the owners of gp2xstore.com comes in these forums, perhaps they need to check out this youtube video (done by the guy from the game gavel forums)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VL1DV_AtttI

I never had a problem with gp2xstore.com and had gotten stuff from him back when it was gp32z.com, and returns were never a problem. There seems to be multiple ways to contact him on their site so I would try them instead of making youtube videos. There is live chat, email, and contact which seems to generate a ticket.

Exophase said:
I was pretty disappointed when I got Toki and found it dropped the music found in the NES version - some use of that "32-bit" sound. Gameboy games made much better use of its PSG.
Yeah 32 bit sound. I guess 8 bit x 4 channel was supposed to be "32 bit". Some sound was good in some games. Atari was brutally cheap, they had to lose the music in Toki as they didn't want to use a bigger ROM. The graphics were better than the NES version though, even at a higher res the NES version looked like crap.

Atari was notorious for telling devs to cut things to fit it in smaller ROM chips. The cheap bastards actually want back and cut stuff out of Cybermorph (Jag) carts to use less ROM chips! The launch version actually had more sound than later versions.

The Lynx was good hardware for it's time, but had a terrible company behind it. That is why they are where they are today..

Playing outrun with the G-sensor!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzJyoO3KqVE

The menu looks actually nice also. But if this works then I'm getting a caanoo :D.

I'm getting kind of keen on this, largely depending on that USB port and what it might allow us to do. Don't really care much for the g-sensor or that menu TBH, but I wouldn't let it ruin my day. I don't really care about the lack of d-pad either (there are enough devices with d-pads). USB MIDI support could be very interesting though...

DaveC said:
Yeah 32 bit sound. I guess 8 bit x 4 channel was supposed to be "32 bit". Some sound was good in some games. Atari was brutally cheap, they had to lose the music in Toki as they didn't want to use a bigger ROM. The graphics were better than the NES version though, even at a higher res the NES version looked like crap.

Sounds like utter nonsense, where did you hear that? NES style music barely takes up any space, the NSF is only 11KB (not sure if it's compressed), and the ROMs for the NES and Lynx versions are both 256KB. ROMs are power of 2 sizes only, you don't save pennies by cutting a dozen KB of audio unless it brings you down to the smaller power of 2 and I doubt they were teetering that closely on the edge. They would have cut something else to make room at that point, if that was the entire reason.

I stand by my original assertion that the problem was playing back PSG sound using 4 DACs takes up a lot of CPU time on a 3.5MHz 6502 if you don't want it to sound awful.

I'm actually quite warming to the Caanoo now, my initial hate was mainly because GPH were discontinuing the Wiz. Those back speakers are just retarded, though. I may pick one up if it goes under £100.

Cwaf said:
I'm actually quite warming to the Caanoo now, my initial hate was mainly because GPH were discontinuing the Wiz. Those back speakers are just retarded, though. I may pick one up if it goes under £100.
That's hopefully the price that Play-Asia will be selling them for (-postage).

Peter, I actually don't know much about it, but I think they dropped those from most mainstream devices because of contrast issues. And that transflective screens are marked transflective, while regular lcd's aren't. Fear my e-penis of knowledge. :p

Back