Caanoo At E3

penars said:
Tried this thing today.

Pretty nice, the analog stick works surprisingly well. It's an actual analog stick, not a sliding nub like what the PSP has. Buttons are also spread out a bit better than the Wiz. MSRP's going to be $150.

36972.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
^haha, love it :D

I'm really surprised it's the price the Wiz is now! Now I see what ED means by an 'upgrade'. Brilliant news on the stick, too :) .
Any other opinions you want to share, penars?

Caanoo looks pretty.. design looks like good old Atari Lynx [v2] but in smaller form factor..

BTW. Lol at "asura crosswired", ..shouldnt it be released 3 years ago with GP2X F200 as exclusive? :p

5) Battery is not replacable, there's no cover.
-> are they serious?.. my god.. did they studied huxley's "Ending is better than mending" cite too long..

penars said:
Tried this thing today.

Pretty nice, the analog stick works surprisingly well. It's an actual analog stick, not a sliding nub like what the PSP has. Buttons are also spread out a bit better than the Wiz. MSRP's going to be $150.

are the "L" and "R" buttons easier to get to than on the wiz? that's my biggest gripe with the wiz, is how awkward it is to use those buttons.

Not sold on the look. It doesn't look bad but I think the F-200 still looks better, and the Wiz too. What I'm really not keen on is the constant refreshes.

GP32 - ~4 years
GP2X F-100 - ~2 years
GP2X F-200 - ~2 years
GP2X Wiz - ~1 year

Doesn't look like the Canoo will last more than 2 years going by that. It'd be nice if they could make a design and stick with it for 4-5 years.

At this rate, if you wait for reviews and durability reports, which is usually about a year or so after launch, the next one is already released.

gdsense said:
http://www.gpain.com/bbs4/zboard.php?id=talking&no=9719

I've found some new information written by former employee.. and here's quick translation. :)

1) Wifi is not internally equipped. But, there's standard USB port at the lower side, where you can attatch the wifi dongle. And other devices can be connected if proper drivers are supplied.

2) Strap hole is located at lower left corner, and stylus pen is located at opposite corner.

Other minor changes...

1) There's cover for all terminals and sockets (which are on lower left side) except 3.5 pie audio socket.
Even SD socket has a cover.

2) Volume button is now changed to some kind of slider, similar to Nintendo DS style.
This might be a bad news, which means we cannot allocate volume buttons for other things anymore.

3) Below analog stick, there exist 'I' and 'II' button.
I button is newly added one, and II button works just like select button.

4) Speaker is located on rear side, which is little wierd.

5) Battery is not replacable, there's no cover.

Hm, I posted everything except for the battery already in this thread :)

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
Hmm I posted everything except for the battery already in this thread :)
Can you confirm that the price really is $150? How much will you be selling it for? :)

quote said:
EvilDragon said:
Hmm I posted everything except for the battery already in this thread :)
Can you confirm that the price really is $150? How much will you be selling it for? :)

150USD was the suggested retailer price, AFAIR, yes.
150 USD = 120 EUR + 19% VAT in my shop (which you have to pay if you live within Europe) is about 145 EUR. The suggested retailer price in Europe is 149 EUR AFAIR, so yeah, it will cost 149 EUR (which is the same the WIZ cost when it came out)

Last edited:
Hopefully PlayAsia will be selling them for $150, I am willing to take my chances with customs to have it for £100

Indeed. I've ordered from Playasia in the past (GP2X Cradle, I think) and I had no problems.

Edit: Check it out.
craigix said:
I'm not. I've already told them I'm not (wait until you see the price of it!).
wat

quote said:
Indeed. I've ordered from Playasia in the past (GP2X Cradle, I think) and I had no problems.

Edit: Check it out.
craigix said:
I'm not. I've already told them I'm not (wait until you see the price of it!).
wat

I was going to mention that too, but I thought best to let sleeping dogs lie.

I wasn't really bashing him for it. Maybe they've recently lowered the price or something (since his post). There's no way he could have seen $150 as a high price :).

It's lower than the price I was told, but it's still crazy expensive for a downgraded Wiz. The BOM for the caanoo would be about $50. It needs to be in the Dingoo price range here.

Anyway, I'm not stocking it. As usual they won't listen re that analogue nub. Good luck playing emulators with that shit. Good luck if you think they will support it for more that a few months.

craigix said:
It needs to be in the Dingoo price range here.
3.5 inch touchscreen, Vibration motor, Accelerometer etc. There's no way this thing could be the same price as the Dingoo.
But yeah, I kinda agree with you. I'd rather it didn't have most of those features, then they could lower the price by a fair amount. Devs won't use the features, they're pretty much just a waste of space and money.

craigix said:
Anyway, I'm not stocking it. As usual they won't listen re that analogue nub. Good luck playing emulators with that shit. Good luck if you think they will support it for more that a few months.

Hahaha. Oh Craig...

SONY said:
How the f*ck are we meant to replace the battery!!!??
If you really want to, you can open it up I guess. Can you replace the battery on an iPod? No.
I guess that this might be a pain for some people though.

Can somebody clarify something for me... are they expecting us to just use generic usb wifi adaptors, or is there actually going to be a wifi adaptor for both Wiz and Caanoo using the ext port?

quote said:
If you really want to, you can open it up I guess. Can you replace the battery on an iPod? No.
I guess that this might be a pain for some people though.

I don't give two f*cks about Apple iPhone/iPod Touch sh*t, because they don't have physical gaming buttons.

I'm just wondering why the Wiz battery is replaceable, but Cannoo isn't? :(

Back