Hurry Up - Psp2 On The Way

I can't think of a single fan mock-up that has ever been acurate.

These things should be put into an archive of shame next to a picture of the final machine.

:lol:

psp was interesting but never liked their umd format. felt too clunky and breakable. they had a duo stick slot which they really shouldve taken advantage of from the start.
psp 2 will be interesting as once again it'll show what can be done with portable gaming if you chuck enough money at it.

4 cell processors sound iffy i doubt they'll be anything like that in the ps3 and think of the juice needed to run it..
hope the design is interesting and avoids the fugliness of the pspgo :/

Gruso said:
SONY said:
Elwing said:
if it took so long to get cracked its just cause they only removed otherOS recently...
What do you mean by that?
Sony recently sent out a firmware update removing the "OtherOS" feature, their response to the PS3 hypervisor being hacked. So the people running Yellow Dog Linux on their PS3s - an advertised feature - got screwed. And the alleged hack that set the ball rolling is not available to the public, so people wanting to run homebrew still can't. End result, the PS3 is now less of a machine than it was 6 months ago. And people wonder why we buy Pandoras and say, fuck you PSP.
I already knew all that.

My problem was his sentence doesn't make sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't access that website or see the picture.

Maybe that was a leak and it has been removed.
Or may be a fault at my end.

Can someone confirm this.
If someone can/has downloaded the image can you re-post it, I'm very curious to see it.

Cheers!

Kangal said:

If someone can/has downloaded the image can you re-post it, I'm very curious to see it.

Cheers!

URL was borked.

Try This.

Image:

psp2.jpg

thomasvdp said:
Oh no watch out, here come the guys from Freescale as well :blink:

http://www.slashgear.com/freescale-smartbook-concepts-take-on-mobile-gaming-ipad-more-1986063/

The main problem with this device is that I can't imagine Matt Farrell pulling it out of his man-purse and hacking into satellites with it. Which is the ultimate measure of a hand-held computational device.

This looks more like something you'd see school kids playing gran tourismo on in the subway...

PSP was ok if you just want console emus.
but it is tedious, i mean certain emus only work with certain firmwares, so is not as simple as pandora PND
and forget about open office, mozilla etc

sony M$ and nintendo earn money from games, and accessories, not from the consoles. if it was the case, they would allow users to install whatever OS. they could produce a pandora like console and put in the market in couple of months, but is not their business. they will never have the posibilities pandora give us.

guys with pandora we have the piece of hardware we always dream, with a customizable open source OS. in a couple of months, with 4000 pandoras rolling out there, we will the support from the comunity and imagine, OS boot optimizations, 3G modem instalations mod, GPS mods, better touch screen user interface...

worth to wait :)

chame said:
PSP was ok if you just want console emus.
but it is tedious, i mean certain emus only work with certain firmwares, so is not as simple as pandora PND
and forget about open office, mozilla etc

sony M$ and nintendo earn money from games, and accessories, not from the consoles. if it was the case, they would allow users to install whatever OS. they could produce a pandora like console and put in the market in couple of months, but is not their business. they will never have the posibilities pandora give us.

guys with pandora we have the piece of hardware we always dream, with a customizable open source OS. in a couple of months, with 4000 pandoras rolling out there, we will the support from the comunity and imagine, OS boot optimizations, 3G modem instalations mod, GPS mods, better touch screen user interface...

worth to wait :)

I see your point, but what if Sony did allow you to install your own OS? It would mean more people would want to by the base hardware.

The more people who own the base hardware, the more potential customers for any given PSP game. People would still buy any given game if it was good, and desirable, not just because they needed games to play on their PSP.

I think they already did the numbers. seems that is worth to sell a console underprized and lose money, and sell games. remember those games cost arround 50 eur each.

with an opensource OS, they simply lose the control. look to the DRM thing. it is clear, they lose money with the hardware, the bussness is in the games, services (online subscriptions and services) and such...

pandora guys should think about this if they plan to continue as somekind of company.

-Tj- said:
Having said that, the other half of me is in the "woohoo!" crowd because the prospect of such a powerful handheld is awesome. ;)

Could THIS be the "Most Powerful Handheld"?

I'd be very interested if it weren't from a company I trust less than OpenPandora.

I'd be very interested if it weren't from a company I trust less than OpenPandora.

I just want to point out that we are about 1 day away from being able to have 100% faith and trust in OpenPandora again .. in fact, if their ability to persist in the face of dire straights hasn't impressed you more, then you must be really, really cynical.

When they start shipping, they'll have fulfilled a very strenuously kept promise to us all .. I'm gonna give them that credit there, for sure.

The idea that I must be really, really cynical, makes me sad. I wasn't really, REALLY cynical a year and a half ago, I'm sure. Although that's no thanks to companies like Sony, who seem to go out of their way to make the world a less pleasant place. The whole area of restricting what you can do with things you "own" (including but not restricted necessarily to things you've paid for) is an icky cynicism-inspiring arena. Both that companies like Sony do it, and that the world we live in even prompts that thought in their minds :(

I should go do something else now.

SONY said:
Elwing said:
if it took so long to get cracked its just cause they only removed otherOS recently...
What do you mean by that?
What he says makes no sense. The reason Sony disabled 'other OS' was because it left the PS3 vunerable to hacking, not the other way around!

As for the other point someone mentioned about the ps3 being 'jail broke', Don't forget that the PS3 has been out for 3 1/2 years now and since they managed to hack the encryption what exactly can you do with it???

x68000 said:
What he says makes no sense. The reason Sony disabled 'other OS' was because it left the PS3 vunerable to hacking, not the other way around!

As for the other point someone mentioned about the ps3 being 'jail broke', Don't forget that the PS3 has been out for 3 1/2 years now and since they managed to hack the encryption what exactly can you do with it???
That was the point though. So long as the OtherOS was there, the homebrew hackers had something to play with and didn't need to find a way to run their stuff. As soon as the OtherOS disappeared, the homebrew hackers started cracking at it and it was done in a very short time (in theory).

ashdjones said:
Kangal said:

Cheers!

URL was borked.

Try This.

Image:

psp2.jpg

thats totally fake, i really doubt SONY forgot Ergonomics, (well, maybe they did on PSP and tried to save it on PSPGo)
ho do you expect to hold that thing with those edgy appendixes showing off both sides.

WizardStan said:
x68000 said:

That was the point though. So long as the OtherOS was there, the homebrew hackers had something to play with and didn't need to find a way to run their stuff. As soon as the OtherOS disappeared, the homebrew hackers started cracking at it and it was done in a very short time (in theory).
The PS3 was hacked well before the other OS was removed (Jan 2010 IIRC) by that iphone jailbreak kid George Hotz.

The main motivation was nothing to do with the potential removal of other OS, it was to gain full read/write access to the entire system memory and HV level access to the cell processor. Things you could never have just by using the other OS function

ashdjones said:
URL was borked.

Try This.

Image:

psp2.jpg

Thanks.
I saw that image before it is a fan-made concept.
Still kind of lame and inaccurate.
Inaccurate= PSPGO was slide design so chances are likely that so will be the next one.
Lame= its only got 2 shoulder buttons where 4 could be possible if they were also deciding to add the second nub, the shape makes it hard to push R+L buttons, and the shape causes you to bend your wrist inwards at a slight angle which will strain, lead to damage if used for prolonged period (read lawsuit over keyboard company for carpal-tunnel syndrome)

But it's got no details.
I mean we know its wont be out at least until 2011.
I think they'd push it for 2011 xmas, since PSPGO is still fairly new.
We know it will have PowerVR peripherals, something probably of SGX54xxMP4.
CPU might be based on MIPS/RISC (whateva) or they might actually opt for ARM.

There's 2 ways they will make the PSP:
1) Either normal-powered so it will sell more units more quickly
2) OR high-performance (like they started with the PS3) so that it can perform smoother or match competition more easily.

If they decide on ARM and go with route 1, it will probably be ~1GHz Cortex A8.
If they decide on ARM and go with route 2, it will probably be +1GHZ Dual-Cortex A9.

Anyways SONY has the power to reach these into millions of hands, so homebrew will start on launch date.
Nothing for a while, then we might see some magic-hackery.

Not likely, but I hope the bad press about taking OtherOS feature off, just might allow OtherOS on the PSP2.

Hope my perspective enlightened your day :)

Trevsweb said:
4 cell processors sound iffy i doubt they'll be anything like that in the ps3 and think of the juice needed to run it..
Not four Cell processors, one Cell processor with four cores. And no, that doesn't work anything like a quad-core x86 processor. We're looking at one PPE and three SPEs, that's one PowerPC core and three dedicated SIMD cores – in layman's terms you have one "real" processor core and three cores dedicated to a special kind of parallel computing.

The Cell architecture is quite different from most general-purpose architectures like x86 or ARM. It's designed to make use of SIMD as much as possible, which means that most cores in a Cell system aren't full-fledged CPU cores. It also means that writing software is pretty difficult but if you have a problem that can profit from SIMD (anything easily parallelizable, eg. raytracing) and you write it in such a way that it uses the SPEs optimally you get fairly good performance.

The PlayStation 3 uses seven SPEs, out of which six are available to developers. Assuming that the PSP2's Cell is identical to the PS3's in every regard but number of SPEs (yes, that's a ridiculous assumption), that the PSP2 also reserves one SPE for the operating system and that performance of the whole system scales linearly with number of SPEs *breathes in* we can assume that the PSP2 will have about one third of the PS3's power.

Actually, the number will be lower as the PSP2 is geared towards smaller size and lower energy consumption so its performance will be quite a bit lower.

Okay. Now that that is off my chest, on to the actual topic.

I don't think the PSP2 is much of a threat to the Padora. It plays in a different market segment and it'll be very homebrew-unfriendly. In addition to Sony's anti-hacking measures there's the issue of using the processor effectively. The PSP had a regular MIPS-based processor; the PSP2 has a Cell, which is much harder to program for. If you don't shuffle data around in the right way you end up congesting the internal bus with packet fragments and your performance goes to hell. Or you don't use the SPEs at all and are stuck with a slowish PowerPC core. Don't expect random software to run decently on a Cell without a platform-specific rewrite.

So, is there any danger? Nah. The PSP2 outperforms the Pandora as a handheld game console. Big news, so does every big-name handheld. The Pandora wins by being in markets the PSP2 isn't in: It's a full-fledged portable computer, it doubles as an HTPC, it's friendly to home developers.

People who need the latest big-name games will choose the PSP2 over the Pandora (if they don't buy Nintendo). That's nothing new and the Pandora was never supposed to compete in that market. Homebrewers (homebrew users, not firmware hackers) are going to prefer the Pandora because hey, it actually works.

PSP2? Can't wait to make indie games for it! But first I need to find someone who is excited about programming for the cell.
Nobody?

Wow, Sony was able to develop a PSP Go and a PSP2 within 2 Years...pretty fast I guess. I bet they never had to deal with chinese Case-Factories. :ph34r:

Back