Beautiful landscapes are prettier than portraits

What are your feelings about that development?

• I want the FullHD display, no matter what! It'll look so much better! I don't care about the perform

Votes: 14 4.0%
  • FullHD would've been nice, but with those issues, HalfHD is better. I still would've preferred FullH

Votes: 72 20.8%
  • FullHD is overkill anyways in my opinion. HalfHD is way better suited for a screen that size.

Votes: 139 40.2%
  • CPU performance and easy development are more important than the higher resolution. I'm fine with th

Votes: 208 60.1%
  • I don't really care about the difference between FullHD or HalfHD - it's more important that the gam

Votes: 116 33.5%

• Total voters

Well, um... Yeah.

SoC hardware is too slow, software as well, displays in landscape mode don't really exist... What other solution should there be? A magical fairy or building the Pyra with portrait screen ;D

Well, um... Yeah.

SoC hardware is too slow, software as well, displays in landscape mode don't really exist... What other solution should there be? A magical fairy or building the Pyra with portrait screen ;D
How come they did produce landscape in the past, but not anymore? just curious,

if you ask me the rotation chip is the only option, unless there are 5.1/5.3 land scape screens out there, and case redesigning is an option, but i doubt thats an option, as you mentioned earlier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Case redesigning is not that huge problem (unless the screen gets too big to fix), we need to redesign it for the new screen anyways.

The reason everything is portrait these days were most probably the smartphones.

And its absolutely sure all the bigger screens are also portrait only?

I know it might not be great alternative to the current option to have 5 inch 720p + rotation chip, which is a good option imho (considering power and price efficiency).

But it could never hurt to consider it, il try and do some research.

How about these lcd screens used in car monitors? (such as movie players) most of them seem to be 7 inches tho, too big?

Maybe the mobile phone segment is not the right one to look for a screen we need.

Actually if someone did make a sub-8 inch netbook with a greater resolution than 600 lines which ran on an SSD/NAND and didn't require me to pay the windows tax, i'd upgrade in a heartbeat, but perhaps that's just me.

and all the 5 inch ones are tft with 800x480 resolution :(

What about the screens in the nvidia shield, might it be worth a shot to have someone contact nvidia to see if we can get the same screen?

We were talking about solutions that were alternative to the chip, so as to have a way around the compression.
 Flipping the Pyra on it's side?
 I realize this wasn't a serious solution, but even so, I think it bears mentioning that this still wouldn't work. You need to rotate before displaying to the screen; Otherwise, the pixels you want to see would be offscreen, and no amount of rotating the Pyra itself would help you to see those.

Well, um... Yeah.

That was kind of my point, actually. Exophase implied there was another solution, and I'm asking him to provide it, because as far as I can tell, there isn't. I still feel like the SoC TILER problem doesn't make sense, tho'. :\ Maybe it's like the early MIPI problems where you guys just aren't loading the data into the TILER the correct way?

and all the 5 inch ones are tft with 800x480 resolution :(

What about the screens in the nvidia shield, might it be worth a shot to have someone contact nvidia to see if we can get the same screen?
I believe it has already been mentioned by SNESFan that those are phone screens and that people are running into the same problem with them because of it.

-God Ginrai

That was kind of my point, actually. Exophase implied there was another solution, and I'm asking him to provide it, because as far as I can tell, there isn't. I still feel like the SoC TILER problem doesn't make sense, tho'. :\ Maybe it's like the early MIPI problems where you guys just aren't loading the data into the TILER the correct way?
Asking me to provide it means what exactly? The 2D accelerator hasn't even been tried, we don't even know what the cost is. The only measurement so far is about 46% CPU time for rotating 1080p in software (don't know if this was at 1.7GHz or what). If the 2D accelerator can saturate bandwidth it'd achieve the rotation in only 1.86ms, or about 11% CPU time at 60Hz. That's for 1080p, which we're mostly in agreement makes no sense if ED can procure a 720x1280 LCD of otherwise comparable quality. That brings it down by a factor of 2.25. Pegging maximum bandwidth is unlikely, but I doubt it'll be anywhere as bad at it as the tested CPU routine is.

If something REALLY needs every last ounce of the 2D accelerator's time it can render to portrait and do rotated blits itself. If the 2D accelerator is designed right rotated blits won't be any more expensive than non-rotated ones for large blits.

And no, not everything has been exhausted with TILER, like seeing if the memory can be accessed from another MMU mapping, if it's contiguous in physical RAM.

But this is nothing I haven't said already. You know how I said it's not the same IF there's another solution? That's all. I'm not on the hook to provide something surefire to defend that statement.

That screen is also portrait. They all are. There's no market for ~5" screens of this resolution that aren't. That market dried up not long after the MIDs and PMPs dwindled.

You know how I said it's not the same IF there's another solution? That's all. I'm not on the hook to provide something surefire to defend that statement.
I wasn't saying you were. To suggest what you did, however, meant that you had reasons to believe that could be true, which normally means you have something in mind. I wasn't expecting a surefire solution, because I know that we wouldn't be discussing this further if you had already found one. :p

-God Ginrai

I realize this wasn't a serious solution, but even so, I think it bears mentioning that this still wouldn't work. You need to rotate before displaying to the screen; Otherwise, the pixels you want to see would be offscreen, and no amount of rotating the Pyra itself would help you to see those.
I guess I can't even make a joke without a serious response in return.. 

I wasn't saying you were. To suggest what you did, however, meant that you had reasons to believe that could be true, which normally means you have something in mind. I wasn't expecting a surefire solution, because I know that we wouldn't be discussing this further if you had already found one. :p
It's probably academic anyway, because I don't see a serious problem with just using the SSL chip, assuming that it doesn't cost more than a few dollars. The compression artifacts look extremely minimal to me, and will probably be even harder to notice on a little screen.

The biggest issue with any other solution is going through the headache of getting someone to implement it. But so long as the SSL chip can be bypassed that can still be done at the discretion of the poor coder who demands it. It's not something that the Pyra will have to get right at launch.

I guess I can't even make a joke without a serious response in return..
 I tend to find problem-solving jokes more humorous when the suggested solution actually solves the problem but is just too much effort/too costly/etc. to actually be worth consideration.

The biggest issue with any other solution is going through the headache of getting someone to implement it. But so long as the SSL chip can be bypassed that can still be done at the discretion of the poor coder who demands it. It's not something that the Pyra will have to get right at launch.
If we find a solution for the TILER, that actually bypasses the need for even having the chip.

-God Ginrai

Perhaps - don't forget that even if we can get rotation without needing this SSL chip, it still gives us extra features like colour correction for daylight, so you've a chance of seeing the screen outdoors (unlike the one on my Gigahertz Pandora where I can barely make out edges out of doors).

I saw that there are some companies selling preview screens for Digital video/photocameras. They have the needed size.

could it be possible to talk to those companies and ask where they get them from?

H

Perhaps - don't forget that even if we can get rotation without needing this SSL chip, it still gives us extra features like colour correction for daylight, so you've a chance of seeing the screen outdoors (unlike the one on my Gigahertz Pandora where I can barely make out edges out of doors).
Color correction doesn't help with outdoor viewing. It's all about brightness and reflectivity. You need a screen that doesn't reflect light from outside sources and brightness to overpower the light reflecting from outside sources. The chip can not help with either of these necessities for outdoor viewing.

-God Ginrai

Color correction doesn't help with outdoor viewing. It's all about brightness and reflectivity. You need a screen that doesn't reflect light from outside sources and brightness to overpower the light reflecting from outside sources. The chip can not help with either of these necessities for outdoor viewing.

-God Ginrai
True, but increasing contrast will also help a bit. Not sure if we really need the SSL chip for that though - we probably have some kind of gamma correction anyway, like on the Pandora.

I saw that there are some companies selling preview screens for Digital video/photocameras. They have the needed size.

could it be possible to talk to those companies and ask where they get them from?

H
I would really be surprised if those were landscape MIPI screens...

Back