Beautiful landscapes are prettier than portraits

What are your feelings about that development?

• I want the FullHD display, no matter what! It'll look so much better! I don't care about the perform

Votes: 14 4.0%
  • FullHD would've been nice, but with those issues, HalfHD is better. I still would've preferred FullH

Votes: 72 20.8%
  • FullHD is overkill anyways in my opinion. HalfHD is way better suited for a screen that size.

Votes: 139 40.2%
  • CPU performance and easy development are more important than the higher resolution. I'm fine with th

Votes: 208 60.1%
  • I don't really care about the difference between FullHD or HalfHD - it's more important that the gam

Votes: 116 33.5%

• Total voters

At least they try to run these games at 30 or 60FPS on Consoles, speed over resolution. And don't forget that these games on equal fast PC's would not run as half as good as on current Consoles (comparing CPU/GPU power). Actualy, most ports from Console to PC are pretty poor, sadly. Constant 60FPS at full details often needs much more powerful PC's. Me as a PC player hates this "trend".

Last edited by a moderator:
Actualy, most ports from Console to PC are pretty poor, sadly
I suspect this is typically the fault of the porter, not the hardware. There's been at least one provable case of a game being crippled for console release, by accident or design depending on your penchant for conspiracies, and it doesn't take an ubermachine to play with the enhanced graphics on a PC.

Aren't most PS4 / XBone games still running on 720p because the consoles are not powerful enough?
no this is actually not entirely correct. They are still displayed at 1080p while they are rendered and up scaled from 720p

leaving the up scaling to the monitor makes the picture very blurry.

by outputting only 1280x720 HDMI).

Are you kidding? This will look disgusting on Full HD monitors :p

Not if you just want to watch a 720p encoded movie ;)
I want to be able to use the pyra in desktop mode as we'll

Up scaled fonts would look horrible for such use cases

leaving the up scaling to the monitor makes the picture very blurry.
That depend on the screen actually. Some does a very god job at upscaling albeit they are not many.I for one used that as primary element of choice when buying mine as I still have many SD (as oposed to HD) input device (like my wii).

Seems Oculus Rift DK2 uses a Samsung Note 3 screen. Do they send the image rotated or have some way of rotating the image?
The DK2 is exposed to the computer as a 1080x1920 monitor.

The way rendering works though is that you render your game's views into a landscape render texture as side by side stereo. Then a second render is done using a 2d eye distortion mesh with the first render texture as it's texture source. This mesh is rendered in portrait mode onto the actual screen. Usually the second render is handled by the rift sdk, so you don't need to care (unless you do everything manually, like I tend to do).

But this causes problems for old apps, or things like trying to watch a youtube video recorded for the rift. In those cases, you need to use the screen rotation options in your OS / graphics card drivers (same as if you have a monitor that can rotate to portrait mode).

Back