Rotating random stuff

Discussion in 'Pyra News' started by EvilDragon, May 2, 2015.

1. fusion_power

fusion_power Advanced Member

:blink:  ...  :lol:

Well, both has it's fans. Let's just hope JAVA will not stay that popular like anal Sex for all times. I still hope Minecraft 2 will NOT be written in Java.

2. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

To refer back to the original off-topic quote, I'll point out that java bytecode and the Java language are only slightly related these days.  A lot of quite interesting languages can compile to java bytecode - you're not stuck with a crufty old C++ derivative.

3. Silent-Hunter

Silent-Hunter Hardcore Member

Can the Java language be compiled to something other than Java bytecode then? Or does it only work the other way?

4. CrystalGamma

CrystalGamma Member

Well Java is basically JVM assembler ... Anyway, my biggest gripe with the JVM is that you can't have references to parts of an object, or the stack. You're basically stuck doing a whole lot of pointer chasing for any composition you do, and it's impossible to do a lot of really awesome zero-allocation patterns which rely on pointers to the stack.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  5. bzar

bzar A Commando

See this table. You can compile Java to other languages... with certain limitations.

Yes, languages based on JVM tend to have to deal with some of the "optimizations" done to accomodate Java. For example how recursion is implemented in Clojure because JVM doesn't have tail call optimization (it's getting there).

6. _wb_

_wb_ Microbe Staff Member

All Turing-complete languages can in principle be compiled to one another. You could write a Java bytecode to Perl compiler, or a NEON assembly to VirtualBasic compiler. No idea why you would want to do that, but it can be done.

7. Letalis Sonus

Letalis Sonus Advanced Member

GCJ can compile Java to native machine code.

8. Silent-Hunter

Silent-Hunter Hardcore Member

I'll have to give that a try!