Atari Lynx Emu V0.03c

... and what's wrong with the picture he included with the .zip ?

No <3 for the obscure, blurry images, eh?

Esn posted on Mar 16 2005 at 04:44 AM said:
Great work at DaveC! I'll definitely be using that as soon as the colour problem is fixed.

The colour thing will likely have to be fixed by Tuskenraider2k. I e-mailed him about it so we will see. I only use about 64 colours for this so it should be easy to implement.

You can still use this image until/if the "problem" is fixed. It is not terrible, it just doesn't look as good as this. You can just copy this file into the gphandy dir.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dragnet (1995) and Fat Bobby (1997) don't seem to work. Dragnet loads, but it has these strange horizontal lines running accross the screen. The music is quite fantastic, though!

Esn posted on Mar 16 2005 at 05:26 AM said:
Dragnet (1995) and Fat Bobby (1997) don't seem to work. Dragnet loads, but it has these strange horizontal lines running accross the screen. The music is quite fantastic, though!

My Fat Bobby works, you must have a dodgy ROM. I think Dragnet may just be some kind of music demo.

Dave - okay so you did catch that reply in this post, about the 256 color thing.

Anyways I put that pic you made on the emu and it looks very good to me, you can tell it does take some of the colors out but doesn't look bad by any stretch, IMO.

Just installed the latest version of this emu on my GP32, very nice.

BUT

What is up with save states? I have tried to save my progress in two games so far, and instead of it saving into the saves dir as I thought that was there for, instead it saved into the zip file itself. This resulted in Chips Challenege bringing up an error when it tries to load now.... and it just killed the Lemmings zip file altogether when I tried to save a game there.

What the hell is up with save states in this emu? Something seems to be seriously wrong here.

EDIT: I just looked in my Chips Challenge zip file, and the game has been erased? WTF? There is only the save on the preview file in the zip and the game itself has been erased.

Well that's just broken.

What is up with save states? I have tried to save my progress in two games so far, and instead of it saving into the saves dir as I thought that was there for, instead it saved into the zip file itself. This resulted in Chips Challenege bringing up an error when it tries to load now.... and it just killed the Lemmings zip file altogether when I tried to save a game there.

i described that problem a few posts ago.
you have to have sound anabled and after you have to rename the firstsave file (wich is in you rom zip) to save0000.zip and copy it to the save folder. replace the lost rom-zip and then it should work properly.

@leebf:
yes, california games does work, but without sound. with sound enabled, it's still too slow.

DaveC posted on Mar 16 2005 at 04:53 AM said:
Great work at DaveC!  I'll definitely be using that as soon as the colour problem is fixed.

The colour thing will likely have to be fixed by Tuskenraider2k. I e-mailed him about it so we will see. I only use about 64 colours for this so it should be easy to implement.

You can still use this image until/if the "problem" is fixed. It is not terrible, it just doesn't look as good as this. You can just copy this file into the gphandy dir.

Sorry about my background picture *snieF*. I've emailed the palette to you now :)

0-bake posted on Mar 16 2005 at 10:29 PM said:
i described that problem a few posts ago.
you have to have sound anabled and after you have to rename the firstsave file (wich is in you rom zip) to save0000.zip and copy it to the save folder. replace the lost rom-zip and then it should work properly.

Yeah, with a bit of extra testing earlier I found that out myself. Still, that's still enough to say that it's broken, it should work without having to do this. I hope Tuskenraider's got it on his todo list.

Other than that though, as I said earlier, this is one of the best Lynx emulators I've seen (GP32 or otherwise). Well done Tuskenraider.

I think i'll wait until this emulator gets a little better and fixed here and there. What is the average speed for games like Chips Challenge, Cali Games, and Lemmings

There really isn't any need to wait. Speed is excellent, even with sound, and I haven't experienced any problems yet (although I haven't bothered with saving games)...

many games are fullspeed with sound right now.
so as chips challenge, blue lightning, bubble trouble, electrocop, rampage, slime world as far s i tested.
for the other games you have to turn off sound (like california games and xenophobe).

this emu made an impressive progress during the last few weeks, so i hope, it will become more complete than it even is right now.
i mean, the compatibility is about 100%. does any other emulator has this high compatibility?

tuskenraider, I must ask a favour.

Whatever bug there is with the sound right now that makes all of the digital samples sound really "low down", don't ever change it! :p (or at least, add an option to not change it)

The reason being, all of the voices in KLAX sound absolutely hilarious now! In the original game it's just some girl saying "ooh" and "wow", but now it sounds like something from The Neverhood! It's pure genius! :D

On another note, would it be possible for the emulator to remember your config options for ALL games, AND after you restart the emulator? It's very annoying to have to redo it for every single game...

DaveC posted on Mar 16 2005 at 04:53 AM said:
Great work at DaveC!  I'll definitely be using that as soon as the colour problem is fixed.

You're actually using 103 colours. I reduced your image to 64 and it seems to work nicely with no obvious reduction in the emulator. The extra colours between 64 and 103 only accounted for 13% of the image so the reduced colour version looks very similar to your original. If someone can tell me where I can host a .PNG I'll post it here. The hosting site I use only allows gif and jpeg.

EDIT: Trooper has kindly hosted the 64 colour version of the DaveC logo so here it is

logo.png

As you can see it doesn't look too bad and doesn't appear to lose colours on the GP.

Ok saving works now, but the first time I saved, the samegame overwrote the rom inside the zip (mentioned above).

Sounds seems a bit odd sometimes, even when running well over 50fps.

Huh... I thought california games was running full speed.... I seem to remember it running kind of slow on the Lynx as well, but then it has been a long time. I run it at 160mhz, frameskip 2 and it definately seems full speed with sound to me. Well if it's not it's still very playable. Most games I've tried seem full speed with sound, the only drawback is that the sound on some games is a little messed up... otherwise it runs fantastic.

And I was just sitting here thinking to myself - crikey, it's been a good fews days since we had a gpHandy update, and then I saw a new posting in this thread, and then I saw who it was by, and lo and behold...

Cheers, tuskenraider2k!

Do you think you will ever be able to make any improvements to the sound? It's perfectly acceptable as it is, I was just wondering what your plans are for the emulator...

Back