Gp2xhandy - Atari Lynx Emu

I have just tried this emu and it is awesome! It is close to full speed with sound. Even Klax sounds great with the samples. The sound on a few games was a bit rough like Slimeworld but other games it was close to perfect.

Tuskenraider deserves alot of credit for this. Handy is a notoriously bloated and inefficient emu on the PC. To get this running this good on a handheld is deceptively difficult, and quite an achievement especially with all of the "mode 7" style effects. It is almost like a handheld Amiga.

Oh and try Robotron it is awesome on the Lynx, really. Go into the games control setting (not the emu) and set to control type "A" that is the best, all other schemes are pretty much un-useable, and the game defaults to those ;) It actually plays great with this stick and my cap *shameless plug*.

To those having trouble make sure the LYNXBOOT.IMG is *uppercase letters* (damn fussy linux). I had trouble at first until I changed to uppercase. It also works fine with zipped ROMs as that is what I use although I don't have the LYNXBOOT.IMG ROM zipped, don't know if that matters but it might. Just put everything in the directories specified in the readme.

wow! this is a great port :)

a extra point to note, for anyone still having trouble running this, the roms NOW go in {PATH}/handygp2x/ rather than {PATH}/handy/roms/ which it was before.

is there any intention at some point to add dir browse ability, so that I can stick my roms back into the roms/ dir, and choose that dir to look at? a minor point, I know :)

anyway, congrats, this is excellent!

I love my Atari Lynx I and I love my GP2X because it emulates the Lynx so well.

The sound quality is awesome. I always believed that it is impossible to generate this groovy sound on another hardware.

Still got problems. how many kbs is the LYNXBOOT.IMG mines 1kb is this right

EDIT no worries got new img file working now :)

What lynx buttons are the GP2X buttons lynked to?

I know the A an B buttons are used for the action buttons. I found that not so good. It would be MUCH better if it used buttons next to each other for quicker action. I found it troublesome in many games the way the buttons are now.

Last edited by a moderator:
okay, I will change them :] .. I've found some bugs and fixed them (for the savegames). But it's not faster yet :rolleyes:

How should the keys be? and I think the pause button is missing too, It seems if I didn't assign it..

custom would be nice, but as the lynx just has A,B,Opt1 and Opt2 it's not really that important ;)

i would suggest
Lynx_A -> A
Lynx_B -> X
Lynx_Opt1 -> right shoulder
Lynx_Opt2 -> left shoulder

Or you could do:

Lynx_A -> A
Lynx_B -> X and/or Y
Lynx_Opt1 -> Select
Lynx_Opt2 -> Start

I also noticed a bug in the sound for a few games. Some games are perfect while others (Slime world for example are a little rough)

Background pic doesn't show in ROM selector screen

Some games had graphics glitches in places mostly HUDs (such as STUNN runner, Rampart "loading" screens)

Overall though it is great.

I agree with 0-bake. A and X are in the positions of buttons used the most on other controllers with similar layouts, so it seems they would be best as the primary buttons here.

Customer button configs would be even better though. That goes for EVERY emu/game out there. But if wishes were horses we'd all be eating steak, so I'll just be happy as long as everything works. :)

I agree with 0-bake. A and X are in the positions of buttons used the most on other controllers with similar layouts, so it seems they would be best as the primary buttons here.

Customer button configs would be even better though. That goes for EVERY emu/game out there. But if wishes were horses we'd all be eating steak, so I'll just be happy as long as everything works. :)

I though it was "if wishes were fishes" 'cause I know I don't eat horse :p

Or you could do:

Lynx_A -> A
Lynx_B -> X and/or Y
Lynx_Opt1 -> Select
Lynx_Opt2 -> Start

I also noticed a bug in the sound for a few games. Some games are perfect while others (Slime world for example are a little rough)

Background pic doesn't show in ROM selector screen

Some games had graphics glitches in places mostly HUDs (such as STUNN runner, Rampart "loading" screens)

Overall though it is great.

>> Background pic doesn't show in ROM selector screen
doesn't it? For me it does.. perhaps I'Ve a path bug, i'll try it..

>> Some games had graphics glitches in places mostly HUDs (such as STUNN runner, Rampart "loading" screens)
Yes you are right... I will find the problem. Aehm, it seems if I inserted that bug 8 months ago :rolleyes:

okay, I will change them :] .. I've found some bugs and fixed them (for the savegames). But it's not faster yet :rolleyes:

How should the keys be? and I think the pause button is missing too, It seems if I didn't assign it..

lol ;)

That was what I was gonna get at, but I didn't wanna look like a dummy.

I was trying to rotate the screen for klax to make it a little more playable. :lol:

And YES the pause button is needed. Some games use it for rotation, among other things. :D

This emulator is officially worthy (although the GP32 is quite nice as well). So we need a proper key set-up as well. B)

Can someone explain why everyone wants the A button .. the one FARTHEST away from the right edge, as the PRIMARY fire button in every title produced? I find it the MOST uncomfortable - but apparently I'm in the minority here ...

Found another bug. In Warbirds the horizon doesn't match the tilting and banking correctly resulting in mountains and stuff on the ground floating in mid air.

>> Background pic doesn't show in ROM selector screen
doesn't it? For me it does.. perhaps I'Ve a path bug, i'll try it..

Yeah I put it in a folder called "lynx" I think. If it is looking for the pic in a certain place it won't work I suppose.

Also you didn't tell me where to send your joystick cap to. I would need and address to mail it to :) Please PM it to me.

Dave

Can someone explain why everyone wants the A button .. the one FARTHEST away from the right edge, as the PRIMARY fire button in every title produced? I find it the MOST uncomfortable - but apparently I'm in the minority here ...

Because we've been mentally trained by the SNES and the PS1-2 to use those buttons as the primary action buttons.

Considering how small the unit is and how close together the buttons are I'm surprised that it's so uncomfortable for anyone. Unless you have really tiny hands...

Back