Atari Lynx - Handy

tuskenraider2k

Certified Guru
Updatet my lynx release from september a bit.. although I can't test it with 180 oder 200mhz ) , perhaps chips challenge runs smooth..

http://www.pelle7.de/uml_index.php?open=emu
& Click on "Atari Lynx" or "download"

- sound is posible, but not very nice
- CpuClockSpeed from 40-200mhz

But I won't try tweaking the code anymore, I got so frustrated in september :) But merging the code with the sources on SourceForge und publishing it, would be an idea :]

that's great! I am so happy that people are working on Lynx emulation on GP32 -- this is one of my big wants.

thanks guys!

ralp99 posted on Jul 20 2004 at 04:58 PM said:
that's great! I am so happy that people are working on Lynx emulation on GP32 -- this is one of my big wants.

thanks guys!
I second you on this :)
Lynx got some really great games (Dracula even if there's no way to save :blink: , that California Games was cool too & Rampart )

thanks alot !!

Last edited by a moderator:
OW! I'd love to play Bill & Ted's Excelent (or however it should be written) Adventure on my gp32_console , but I can't make it run, I think I do everythin allriguht... it gives me an error always (old version) lets see if thi one... (HOPE HOPE HOPE :p)

Because Lemmings was closest to the original PC version on the Lynx, I'd kill for a good emulator. I know that a GBC version exists, but TBH it really SUCKS. they have repeating 10 second long tones that they try to pass off as music, where the PC and Lynx verson have that wonderful synthesized folk tunes music, good gameplay, and it just looks a bit better and well thought out.

Keep it up! any update is good when it comes to the lynx on the gp32_console , big or small.

Shirohagen posted on Jul 20 2004 at 04:41 PM said:
Er at any chance of a good Lynx emu at 166Mhz or lower?

My GP32 doesn't o/c past 166 and I'm not alone...

®
The reason that Lynx emulation is slow is basically because the "Handy" code is bloated and very un-optimised. Since it was designed for a high powered desktop PC it wasn't cleaned up. Perfect emulation is most certainly possible but someone would have to go through and totally re-write it. Because the Lynx hardware is so poorly documented it would be a tall order, but not impossible.

It is too bad because the Lynx was great with its hardware scaling and WAY ahead of its time. Just compare Rygar on the Lynx to the NES version, the Lynx blows the NES one away no contest.

tuskenraider2k,

Very good update. I noticed that any blitter or scaling operations with a game cause serious slow-down, but this is certainly an excellent update. I was really impressed with the blue lightning demo at a decent speed with (clicking) sound.

Again thanks for this.

Indeed!

I cant even check it out because my computer has suddenly refused to connect to my GP32 and I cant use a card reader for some reason but when I'm able to load it on a SMC again I'm definatly checking it out.

keep up the good fight man.

spongebue posted on Jul 20 2004 at 05:28 PM said:
"Because Lemmings was closest to the original PC version on the Lynx"
Actually the Amiga version was the original!

A capable Lynx emu would be fantastic! I used to love the Lynx it was a tragedy that it sank like it did as it really did have some great games and was pretty revolutionary.

Do we think we'll ever get to full speed Lynx emulation with sound?

®

what's the filename+directory?? The msg means, the proggy could not open the file, but thats strange indeed :)

tuskenraider2k posted on Jul 20 2004 at 03:19 PM said:
Updatet my lynx release from september a bit.. although I can't test it with 180 oder 200mhz ) , perhaps chips challenge runs smooth..

http://www.pelle7.de/uml_index.php?open=emu
& Click on "Atari Lynx" or "download"

- sound is posible, but not very nice
- CpuClockSpeed from 40-200mhz

But I won't try tweaking the code anymore, I got so frustrated in september :) But merging the code with the sources on SourceForge und publishing it, would be an idea :]
I have just tried this emu. It is good work, thanks. :) Too bad you are abandoning it, it is sooo damn close. I was expecting the sound to be terrible, but it really isn't that bad. And it doesn't seem to slow it down too much. It is only "skippy" as the emu is struggling at that clock speed.

I would give bug reports if you are interested but if you are done with it I suppose it would not be useful.

I really wish I could code, this would be my project, oh well :( again thanks for the emu :)

Neomorpheus posted on Jul 21 2004 at 10:59 PM said:
I really wanna test this out but i keep getting a "!!! could not load" msg :(
well, it actually says "!!could not loat LYNXBOOT.IMG". This is the BIOS of the Lynx (I think). You can google for it.

I concur with DaveC here, this is a nice emu even if the GUI is somewhat basic. I was having a bash of Gates Of Zendecon @ 166Mhz with sound and it was quite satisfactory :)

I hope someone takes on this project after you. Id be happy to do any artwork for it as well.

Back