[Applimulator ;)] apkenv + apkenv.ui

any chance of world of goo, I know it works with gingerbread.

In fact the entire 1st humble bunde andriod would be awesome too.  Some of them won;t work for me on gingerbread though so maybe they won't work on my cc.  I've heard some say anomly warzone earth worked, but I can't get my copy too so maybe its just new pandora's with new sgx.

Quick question, by the way - is your work on apkenv reusable in other environments, such as other linux distributions on x86? I guess there are libs specifically compiled for ARM, so this may not be the case ? 

Quick question, by the way - is your work on apkenv reusable in other environments, such as other linux distributions on x86? I guess there are libs specifically compiled for ARM, so this may not be the case ? 
most of the apks i've been looking only have armeabi libs inside, so from the basic technique it would be reusable, but not from the apks side

In fact the entire 1st humble bunde andriod would be awesome too.  Some of them won;t work for me on gingerbread though so maybe they won't work on my cc.  I've heard some say anomly warzone earth worked, but I can't get my copy too so maybe its just new pandora's with new sgx.
there's a module inside, but as i dont have world of goo, i can't test. the guys from the maemo boards have some version world of goo running, but not very well from what i remember.

never heard of the other game, though :)

Hey Crow-Riot, great job with the last release, I confirm as well that Angry Birds 2.3.4 works flawlessly now. I have played it for more than one hour and there is no issue anymore. 
great! :)

However I could not get cut the rope working yet (but maybe it is an issue with the apk I got, while it claims to be 1.0.0 version...). 
that version thing is kind of annoying but it turns out to be somewhat like mame roms: you need to correct version. i'm going to throw out the md5sums of my test apks so that people can cross check.

I had one question regarding commercial games such as Angry Birds Star Wars - Would this eventually run as well ? (If it would be difficult to, don't worry about it and focus on others :)
already tried, segfaults.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the answer Crowd-Riot :)

When you started on this project what were the main motivators ? Running Angry bird and Fruit Ninja, I guess ? What other games do you think can be supported without too much difficulty in the near future ? 

Of course I am still secretly hoping for Skype support :)

When you started on this project what were the main motivators ? Running Angry bird and Fruit Ninja, I guess ? What other games do you think can be supported without too much difficulty in the near future ? 

well i dont deserve too much credits (some of course;)), as a lot of work has previously been done by thp and (previous-previously by someone else ;) .

i started it because i wanted to see if it works on the pandora and if i could get the unityplayer running on the pandora natively, so that people can start building games using unity. while the idea was great ;-), it turned into a segfault-fest. but i've learned quite a lot so that i will undertake another try with a different approach later.

well it's not too difficult. there are tools out there helping: dex2jar and jd-gui are very useful :)
Thanks for your answers.

what are your experiences so far on how "exotic" these functions are - standard functions like "where is a certain system directory" or more complex things?

How about Minecraft PE, any chance this can be "persuaded" to work with apkenv?

Good :)

I don't know if i are able to help adding game to this very great app/emulator ( i don't know how exactly define this).

I have downloaded the tools to look inside .dex files and decompile it.

Have downloaded also your src and with the modules available ( i'm looking at fruitninja for start) and i wanna know if you have some more tips for better understand a creation of wrapper, where to search for functions to implement and how to translate into the module.
you need dex2jar and jd-gui as a first start. then look for functions having a native declaration with jd-gui.

what also helps is unpacking the apk and see if it contains a lib/armeabi (-v7a) directory and just do a "strings <libname.so> | grep Java_" to see what functions java functions are being used. also "readelf -s <libname.so> | grep Java_" might also be helpful.

let me know if you need some more help. all i now know is from studying the sources and doing web research, so if i can help you save your time, just ask :)

well i dont deserve too much credits (some of course;)), as a lot of work has previously been done by thp and (previous-previously by someone else ;) .

i started it because i wanted to see if it works on the pandora and if i could get the unityplayer running on the pandora natively, so that people can start building games using unity. while the idea was great ;-), it turned into a segfault-fest. but i've learned quite a lot so that i will undertake another try with a different approach later.
I see :)

Are you still working on Paper Wars in parallel or is it on hold ?

I doubt it's even remotely possible, but I think that the app IMO would be a very useful addition to the Pandora if it were possible to get it running this way? I use it quite a bit on my devices as it seems to link into most of the chat software I need (inc. Skype, but I'm not sure if you can make calls directly from it or not)

there's a module inside, but as i dont have world of goo, i can't test. the guys from the maemo boards have some version world of goo running, but not very well from what i remember.

Sorry for the misspelling, its Anomaly and maemo compatibly here already says it doesn't work and it wont work in the gingerbread pnd version either.  No worries it was just a wish.  Thanks again for porting this apkenv.

That compatibily list also says world of goo doesn't work either (missing library like anomaly) however it does work in our gingerbread pnd so maybe there's a chance for it here.

FYI its a tower defense type game.

Sorry for the misspelling, its Anomaly and maemo compatibly here already says it doesn't work and it wont work in the gingerbread pnd version either.  No worries it was just a wish.  Thanks again for porting this apkenv.

That compatibily list also says world of goo doesn't work either (missing library like anomaly) however it does work in our gingerbread pnd so maybe there's a chance for it here.

FYI its a tower defense type game.
i just grabbed world of goo demo which is freely available. going to try my luck with that.

Thanks for trying, crow_riot.

PS, I just noticed my FYI was a little vague.  Its, anomaly that is a tower defense to of game.  World of Goo is an awesome puzzle game.

no problem. tried world of goo demo yesterday. they're using threaded drawing and it crashes randomly. but it would work if i can find a way to handle the threads correctly.

just informing you that thp has integrated the pandora patches into his repository yesterday B)

Oh, I like where this is going. It would be nice not to have to boot up android to play a few games. Nice job. I shall take it for a spin.

Also, this has the advantage of some basic multitouch functionality.

Hmm... Am I using this wrong, or have I just picked a large selection of incompatible games?

I just downloaded a selection of stuff from my humble bundle account to try out. I placed the .apk files in appdata/apkenv/apks, and they all appear in the GUI on launch. Selecting any one of them shuts down the GUI, accesses the SD card, then just goes straight back to the GUI. No clues as to what's happening.

The games I tried:

Anomaly Warzone

Cogs

BitTrip.Beat

Canabalt

Avadon

FieldRunners

Crayon Physics Deluxe

Swords and Soldiers

Snuggletruck

Hmm... Am I using this wrong, or have I just picked a large selection of incompatible games?

I just downloaded a selection of stuff from my humble bundle account to try out. I placed the .apk files in appdata/apkenv/apks, and they all appear in the GUI on launch. Selecting any one of them shuts down the GUI, accesses the SD card, then just goes straight back to the GUI. No clues as to what's happening.

The games I tried:

Anomaly Warzone

Cogs

BitTrip.Beat

Canabalt

Avadon

FieldRunners

Crayon Physics Deluxe

Swords and Soldiers

Snuggletruck
From the repo --

Please check the beta/release thread at the openpandora forums for more information:

http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/11736-applimulator-apkenv-apkenvui

---

Pressing the LEFT shoulder button simulates a press of a second finger in the middle of the screen. This is required for some games to zoom.

---

This plays following games without the need of booting Android:

- Fruit Ninja 1.5.4, normal or HD version

- Angry Birds Space 1.1.0

- Angry Birds Space HD 1.0.1 (the loading screen is glitched, but the game works fine)

- Angry Birds Season HD 1.3.0

- Angry Birds Season 2.5.0

- Angry Birds Rio 1.4.4

- Angry Birds 2.3.0

- Cut the Rope 1.0.0

Please note that you need the exact versions of the apk's or it is very likely that it doesnt work!

Yeah, I just noticed the PND out -  mostly missing library dependencies and <jemalloc> errors.

Does this mean special cases will need to be prepared for every game and every version thereof, or is it simply early days?

Back