[Application] SOLEIL

Not really, i'll announce it as soon as the last fix (shared /home between 32 and 64 bits) is stable.

Btw, i forgot to mention that clamav antivirus is shipped in system rescue cd, so you can clean (at least try) windoze machines.

As I'm i the office and will get SOLEIL I don't se why we couldn't make a video when you did the big release (with super feature).

I even have a Windows PC so if you have some virus for me ...

:D

I'm uploading the minimal install, then i'll do the maximal.

I doubt the maximal will be uploaded in time, but it should not be a problem ;^).

So the super-feature is :

An integrated ARM distcc cluster.

That means that all PXE stations, 32 bit or 64 bit, can be used to speed up the compilations.

With  SOLEIL on your Pandora, you can boot over the network any x86 PC you like.

For now the limit is 253.

On each booted PC, a distcc server is automatically running.

When you compile a software, you can parallelize the compilation blocks to make it faster.

For example, if you're compiling on a 4 cores cpu, it's good to have one block per cpu at the same time, therefore shortening the compile time by /4.

Distcc does the same thing over the network. It's not as powerful as a /4 if you have 3 other computers, but it certainly helps.

The neat thing here is that the distcc running on PCs is an ARM one, so as the Pandora is not fast to compile big things, it will help a lot there.

All this with a minimal stuff to do, i.e. only set your PCs to boot over the network, get their IP, and launch the compilation with these parameters.

So should I download now or will there be an update the next days.

I ask as it's pretty big now.

Please, anyone who has this and tried it out - please post a mini review here... as in this case i'm going to have to vote based on user reviews (there simply is no way in hell i can try this myself as I am unable to download such a massive file due to my circumstances).

Do you need the slackware compilers to use the distributed compiling feature or can you also use the code::blocks pnd for example?

The Slack compilers.

PtitSeb code::blocks doesn't run on Slack, i'm currently compiling my own for fun, and will put it on my repo if it runs.

Built a new minimal image based on latest SL4P.

Next job will probably be about making possible to install all features from a minimal install.

Downloaded and installed.

What a miracle: It runs without asking any silly questions. I'm getting better :D .

As it runs now here are the silly questions (don't think it'll be easy for you with me).

1: Wifi?

How do I get it?

On Pandora I can enablle it but that's it.

It doesn't look for networks available nor displays them.

If I want to set it up manually I can't edit anything (in the wifi connection menu)

On big computer the wifi settings menu doesn't even start.

So how do I get internet.

It's not possible for me to use Ethernet as my computer isn't near the router and can't be placed there (family or student's flat).

2: Pandora SD?

How to access the right Pandora SD.

Did you already have this feature in SOLEIL?

3: PND

Can I run PNDs on my big computer?

They are on the right SD.

4: Boot via USB

You mentioned to make it able to boot via USB instead Ethernet if you're done with the rest.

So will this be done soon?

Would consume less Battery on the Pandora and I don't need to have a crossover cable with me.

5: Upgrades

How to get a new Soleil version if you make an update?

Do I have to download the whole 11GB for each update?

Internet would be the most important thing for me, as I'd ike to install some packages and do web browsing.

Last edited by a moderator:
1- wifi must be set up manually.

su

iwconfig wlan0 essid "name_of_your_access_point"

dhcpcd wlan0

then you have to set up the right firewall/router:

rm /etc/rc.d/rc.firewall

cp /etc/rc.d/rc.firewall.wlan0.eth0 /etc/rc.d/rc.firewall

chmod +x /etc/rc.d/rc.firewall

/etc/rc.d/rc.firewall restart

2- through the network ?

3- yes, but not out of the box. Have to try myself before telling how.

4- no plans for now

5- will skip the big one soon, making only a minimal that can be growed, and finally probably a SL4P installer.

Back