Anybody considering picking up an Oculus Rift..?

I love the

https://www.youtube.com/embed/lhdSozujoRc?feature=oembedhttp://store.steampowered.com/news/10962/

http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/1h52h1/valve_announces_source_rift_support/

Now, if I can carry on dreaming, while the push for fps type games on the rift is logical and inevitable, I'd love to see 'adventure' games reworked for it. There are lots of games, not necessarily even 3D, that leave a lasting impression of having been 'places' you visited. Imagine Monkey Island, unchanged except for being possible to look around in - same res, just rendered in full 3d - Imagine being able to stand in a location from Monkey Island, and see it from 'inside'. Same for Myst - I have 'Real Myst', but forget that - I mean Myst done like Myst 3 with it's 360 degree locations, in full 3D - possibly with your hands motion tracked so you could reach out and push buttons/pull levers etc.

I need to see those island to island cable-cars in Riven with an Oculus Rift!

Last edited by a moderator:
For the genuine pre-80s experience, clouds of cigarette smoke rising through the projection beam. And a confectionery stand which would automatically display items that were available in your area at the time the film being watched was actually running. Think of all the additional data imdb will need.

EDIT: If you watch the Rocky Horror show, there should be a full cast of participants in the aisles.

EDIT 2: also if watching the Rocky Horror show, if you look down you'll see you're wearing suspenders and a basque.

I had a try of a developer-unit viewing HL2 yesterday.

It's neat, but the dev-unit is all kinds of blurry when you move your head. Probably because of the accuracy of the motion-sensor or something, since overlay texts and other visual motions look just fine.

I doubt that I will get one myself though, but maybe these things will get really cheap in a couple of years.

Are there any hints about the price out there yet?
There was speculation about somewhere in the $300-400 range. A lot depends on the final spec - it's presumed that the consumer version will have a 1080p panel inside, but I see there's talk about a higher def panel being available before they commit, so...

Hardware-wise it shouldn't be that expensive, most of what it uses is in mass production already.

Are there any hints about the price out there yet?
There was speculation about somewhere in the $300-400 range.
That would be great.

I am very curious if there will be a discounted set with the Virtuix Omni

and if some of the existing games like

Penumbra 1-3, Amnesia, Fallout3, Oblivion, Miasmata, The Void

will get plugins or anything like that.

I am very curious if there will be a discounted set with the Virtuix Omni

and if some of the existing games like

Penumbra 1-3, Amnesia, Fallout3, Oblivion, Miasmata, The Void

will get plugins or anything like that.
The Omni (and other similar devices) are separate companies, but maybe dealers of both will do some kind of bundle - though the shipping will be high!

Fallout 3 is listed as supported already:

http://www.riftenabled.com/admin/apps/

I like how there's a virtual boy emulator. :)
A number of people have noted that the dev version is missing 'lean' tracking - i.e. you can look up/down/all around, but if you lean in any direction it will only register the angle your head is at, not the degree of lean movement in any direction. Apparently this was noted and I saw suggestions that they would look to implement a sensor to allow for this too - so with Virtual Boy, it should be possible to approach the VB console, and 'lean in' to it to play, just like the real thing!

Now, about all those old Tomy 3D games.......

John Carmack was one of the heroes of my youth and the reason why I learned some IT-Stuff 11 years ago (not much of it remained though because of different reasons). ^^

Glad to see he still uses his excellent brain all the time, especcially with Armadillo Aerospace.

So, down at the play expo yesterday, there was a rift setup, queue was massive though so I didn't bother, and at the back, there was a guy showing off a game he made with a rift, so I went on there instead.

I thought it worked well, and responsive, but it was like you were staring at an 80s TV from an inch away where you could see all the physical picture elements, and the resolution seemed quite low. My missus couldn't adjust and was a bit unsteady after taking it off, but I was generally okay, was a little weird.

That all said, I am tempted to get one, but maybe a bit later down the road. I'd recommend trying it if you get the chance though

Yeah after seeing that horror style game someone linked somewhere a while ago, I am keen to try this myself, ideally that game. Hyper immersion horror.

you could see all the physical picture elements
Most people with a dev unit is saying the same thing: wait for the final consumer version with the higher resolution screens. I'm glad I was able to cancel my order and set that money aside for later.

Back