Anybody considering picking up an Oculus Rift..?

I'm regladding that I cancelled my pre-order. :p

The final consumer edition is going to be much better but I want to play with it NOW!

Or are you pointing out that I already said that once? In which case, sorry, I forgot.

The guy who's demo I was playing said he put it together in about a week. Takes me that long to open Visual Studio.... Though he did say he was using Unity, and he said it was practically "dropped in".

Maybe I should consider giving up coding games from scratch and try moving into Unity, but that doesn't alleviate my biggest issue, which is the "assets" part (graphics, 3d models, music, audio).

The other thing is, we don't have a Unity player on the Pandora :(

I see a rash of announcements this month of phones with HD curved OLED screens - silly for phones, but the kind of display that (slightly larger) would be ideal in an O.R.

I just thought it was a typo and they meant Android OS.

Probably was, but you'd think they'd proof reading their publications first...

that's pretty interesting, not that you would want to move around with the OR, but that would be cool in a google glass type of augmented reality with dual cameras or something.

3D augmented virtual reality

would allow for interesting stuff like minority report or iron man types of virtual computer interfaces and controls. Could also add a MS kinect type of motion sensing to enhance the realism.

EDIT: could also solve a major problem with the OR, not seeing what's going on outside the headset for typing etc. If you could interact with your environment without taking off the headset it would also enhance the usability of the device for sure. Then turn off the cameras and go back into your game or whatever as needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I certainly like the idea and will be really curious to how well it works out. I remember trying one of those set ups back in the '90s and wasn't terribly impressed. It was cool, but for $650 it wasn't really cool enough to justify.

I'm personally more interested in CastAR, but I'd like to see all of these projects take off. It would be really nice to see a Renaissance in 3d gaming take off.

But, for $300-400, that's still a fairly good deal for those that have the money and a reason for wanting it. I could see it becoming popular for movie theater pods in the future.

Someone needs to make a kind of inverse virtual-telepresence robot to use with it too - a stereo camera with near 360 degree movement, mounted on a moving platform (input your actual height for added realism). Stick on your OR and take a tour of some remote location. With the inability to walk off with priceless artworks, museums and galleries could be open after-hours to that kind of visitor!

The Oculus Rift 'Crystal Cove' prototype is 2014's Best of CES winner
http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/09/the-oculus-rift-crystal-cove-prototype-is-2014s-best-of-c/

With its latest prototype, code-named "Crystal Cove," Oculus VR has taken a massive leap forward, eliminating the stomach-churning motion blur that has plagued previous generations of VR headsets, and adding sensors and a camera to track the position of both your head and body and provide more accurate simulated movement.

The Crystal Cove version's 1080p OLED display is amazingly sharp and bright. However, what really sets it apart is its positional-tracking capabilities, accomplished thanks to an array of sensors mounted around the edges of the unit, which are monitored by an external camera. It's no longer just your head that controls movement; lean forward or back, and the virtual environment moves in sync, providing an unparalleled, fully immersive experience. Use the new Rift for a few minutes, and you may never want to take it off

It's a scary future. If you haven't read it yet, read "Ready Player One" it's all about a future where everyone is hooked on VR not just for gaming but even VR travel, schooling, social etc. Good book full of retro gaming references.

Ready Player One
2934002.jpg

It's both scary and exciting I guess I really mean.  Exciting , because it would be awesome. Scary because , just like in the book , I can see people getting far too absorbed in it - spending all there time in VR worlds, games , travel etc - to an unhealthy level. 

I can see people getting far too absorbed in it - spending all there time in VR worlds, games , travel etc - to an unhealthy level. 
It's the same with books for hundreds of years.

People that are addicted to the retreat from reality will do this no matter how.

Using drugs is a way that is far worse.

Back