Analyzing 4GB RAM

It must be Android?
Doesn't have to be android, could be openMoko...
At the moment there is no software (well, @AndiTheBest wrote something, I'm hoping we can request features for it later, skinning and such), so there are a few concerns: Will there be developers that will bunch together a few AT commands and make a dataline bridge and maybe SMS to the cell towers (prototype software already working). On that dataline you can then use internet phone software. To get a real phone working... that is more work. And there are nice ecosystems waiting. Android is one of them.Windows RT is another (and I'm sure everybody... who am I kiddin'). But my bet is on:

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Main_Page

(and we have a GTA04 in the forums, *hint, hint, nudge, nudge* )

Last edited:
@MMS wikipedia says, when a MMS comes your way, the media content gets stored at a server of your provider and your phone gets a sms containing a link. This sms then triggers your phone to open the content in a wap browser.
On sending, the article is not that specific.

Yes, that was how it worked when I first got a phone that accepted MMS messages - you got a text message containing a hyperlink, and clicking on that loaded the message. Receiving them is fairly straightforward therefore. Sending them will require a significant part that that wikipedia article doesn't mention though - there's going to have to be a control message send by the sender to enable access to the FTP MMSC server and to bill you accordingly - they're not going to let you upload at will and simply SMS the receiver.

I already have developed a "nice UI" that communicates with the modem, rings on an incoming call, let you choose the provider, provides sms functionality and imports contacts from a google-contact-csv-export.
You will get it after i got a pyra ;)

Can you make the source available so that we can review it and possibly extend it? On github would allow most of us with a development bent to do both, I suspect, or just zipping it up and sending it to people who are interested could at least fulfil the first request. Getting a few more eyes on it should normally be in your interest.

@MMS wikipedia says, when a MMS comes your way, the media content gets stored at a server of your provider and your phone gets a sms containing a link. This sms then triggers your phone to open the content in a wap browser.
On sending, the article is not that specific.

The issue the N900 had was with mms headers. The program used 1.0 headers and could receive but once providers migrated to 2.0 sending mms stopped working. There was no way to fix it because we couldn't get a hold of raw headers to adjust.

The program was fmms if someone here wants to mess with or try and adapt it. I think it is python

What about MMS media texts? I don't think it uses the same protocol as SMS does it?

Will you be able to do MMS though?

I had and loved my Nokia N900 but MMS was not supported. There was a community project that provided some support but it never actually worked for me or others.

Actually I didn't thougt much about MMS, is anybody still using it since whatsapp/telegram? If its useful for some users I can check how much effort it would be. As i remember, receiving worked for me on the N900, but never sent one.

Doesn't have to be android, could be openMoko...
At the moment there is no software (well, @AndiTheBest wrote something, I'm hoping we can request features for it later, skinning and such), so there are a few concerns: Will there be developers that will bunch together a few AT commands and make a dataline bridge and maybe SMS to the cell towers (prototype software already working). On that dataline you can then use internet phone software. To get a real phone working... that is more work. And there are nice ecosystems waiting. Android is one of them.Windows RT is another (and I'm sure everybody... who am I kiddin'). But my bet is on:

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Main_Page

(and we have a GTA04 in the forums, *hint, hint, nudge, nudge* )

Its already skinnable(background picture, button color, button size, hardwarebuttons for navigation) as i want to have it in the same color as the case you'll get.

Yes, that was how it worked when I first got a phone that accepted MMS messages - you got a text message containing a hyperlink, and clicking on that loaded the message. Receiving them is fairly straightforward therefore. Sending them will require a significant part that that wikipedia article doesn't mention though - there's going to have to be a control message send by the sender to enable access to the FTP MMSC server and to bill you accordingly - they're not going to let you upload at will and simply SMS the receiver.

Can you make the source available so that we can review it and possibly extend it? On github would allow most of us with a development bent to do both, I suspect, or just zipping it up and sending it to people who are interested could at least fulfil the first request. Getting a few more eyes on it should normally be in your interest.

Yeah i tried to make it extendable as much as possible by design. For example i have added a "alarmsystem"-module that calls you if a value of a ModbusTCP Server changes, as I needed it for work and was able to integrate it in 1.5 hours.

I want to clean up the code, comment and document it before publish it on github. I hope to find some time for that next week :cool:

I just didn't know If mms was needed when texting pictures. I'll probably get a webcam to use with mine so I can keep talking with family on the go or taking pictures for work. Not needed if android will work out of the box but better if it worked natively on Debian.

Texting picture definitely needs mms... But is that really needed in our Skype and the like era?

"Texting pics" probably requires skills mostly lost in the last couple decades.

Its already skinnable(background picture, button color, button size, hardwarebuttons for navigation) as i want to have it in the same color as the case you'll get.
I need LCARS. Can it handle that?

Need isn't true at all, but I would love to get that look. Thanks for working on this.

i get somewhat annoyed at family who text me pictures, when it takes up phone bandwidth i don't have. whatever happened to e-mails? they're cheap as free.

I don't care about MMS.
All I need nowerdays is WhatsApp.
I know, Telegram is better, as it has a web client but most people are using WhatsApp...

I don't care about MMS.
I know, Telegram is better, as it has a web client but most people are using WhatsApp...
Matrix (or Briar, ...) is better :) A native Matrix client (Riot?) is no problem - WhatsApp, besides the web client, is.
If someone want to chat on Matrix: #pyra:matrix.org :)

MMS never really took hold in germany, last time I checked sending a single MMS would cost me 0,39€ and thats with a quite expensive package already... mobile prices in Germany are crazy

I don't care about MMS.

In which sense Telegram is better than WatsApp? Open source of Signal, concentrating on end-to-end encryption of Threema I could understand, but Telegram...
Are you aware of this: https://web.whatsapp.com/ ?

Matrix (or Briar, ...) is better :) A native Matrix client (Riot?) is no problem - WhatsApp, besides the web client, is.
If someone want to chat on Matrix: #pyra:matrix.org :)
IRC is busier, I'll bet. Not that I've actally checked matrix, or what is it yet.

MMS was briefly a good way to send pictures, because when it launched we were all on GPRS/2.5G and data was charged at a premium, but MMS was flat rate. In the intervening years, the price of data has dropped and our phones are now much better at composing emails on (although little can beat a proper keyboard). MMS still retains one benefit over email though - for our technophobe relatives, it'll happily take a 12MP picture and shrink it to something more suitable for a mobile connection, although with the way phone screens are going, sooner or later you're going to want that source 12MP file I guess.

MMS is like faxing for me; I'm old enough to have used it once or twice back in the days but come on, to this very day I can't help to be amazed over having mobile internet in my pocket. No-one seems to even care nowadays but it's so goddamn cool~

Just wait until SpaceX's Starlink comes online in a couple of years. Planetary wide wireless broadband :)

In which sense Telegram is better than WatsApp? Open source of Signal, concentrating on end-to-end encryption of Threema I could understand, but Telegram...
Are you aware of this: https://web.whatsapp.com/ ?

Most simple reason why Telegram is better than Whatsapp: It is not owned by facebook - simple as that. I also think there is the source code of telgram out too, isn't it?

Back