1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Analyzing 4GB RAM

Discussion in 'Pyra News' started by EvilDragon, Oct 2, 2017.

1. PCXT

PCXT Member

I'm doing similar thing. But the problem is that if you make your "e-personality" (your comments, forum posts, published creations) dependent on monopoly such as FB, it may lock your account and e.g. ask for... scan of ID document! Yes, it happened before. ID is full of sensitive data, you can take a loan with it, transfer of such data is highly regulated, but if someone is monopoly regulations are not obligatory for them. So avoid relying too much on FB with nickname.

elwing, rygD and Kippykip like this.
  2. Kippykip

Kippykip BFG 9000

Hence why it's called "Kippykip II", the same thing happened to my old account so this is my 2nd one.

3. bzar

bzar A Commando

Why would you need to? There's multiple networks with servers upon servers available to the public?

rygD likes this.
  4. buZztiaan

buZztiaan Still Fresh

2coop4 and bzar like this.
  5. WizardStan

WizardStan Mega GP Mania

We've technically seen it...
    >.>

rygD, bennr01 and 2coop4 like this.
  6. Kippykip

Kippykip BFG 9000

So randoms don't get in?

7. bzar

bzar A Commando

Invite-only channel?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    rygD likes this.
  8. Silent-Hunter

Silent-Hunter Advanced Member

With Telegram at least, the client is open source, so if the servers all died, it could be made to connect to an alternate server. Assuming it's easy to black-box it based on the client code.

ingoreis likes this.
  9. buZztiaan

buZztiaan Still Fresh

Check the date :)

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/5813601559/sandisk-unveils-512gb-extreme-pro-sdxc-uhs-i-card
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 7, 2017, Original Post Date: Oct 7, 2017 ---
    Either way, to get back to 'messaging' , i have no interest in a standard that only exists because of 1 company's efforts. IRC has existed for almost 30 years now, and -will- exist 30 years from now, depending on no single entity anywhere.

rygD, xnopasaranx and tarator like this.
  10. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Still Fresh

I would likely be willing to switch to the 2gb version. I'd rather have the 4gb, but honestly, I'm more concerned with getting a functional product than I am with a specific level of RAM. The option of being able to purchase the 4gb board later at cost would go really far in convincing me...

rygD, Grench and Swordfish II like this.
  11. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

Well, since this thread started, work has progressed on the 4GB situation, and it looks rather as if they've got a config now that may end up chewing through the battery slightly faster, but does seem to make 4GB stable. We always thought 4GB would take more battery than 2GB to maintain, so the config they've already got may well be very nearly perfect.

12. crazyhorse

crazyhorse Member

And some cases have been made! -according to the latest tweet

buZztiaan, tarator and ClockworkCoder like this.
  13. levi

Wow, that's right!

(I don't think that's been posted here yet).

For those with trouble reading embedded tweets (like me):
    Evildragon1717 wrote:
    According to my contact, new cases have been produced yesterday. He hasn't been there but will check them out on Monday.

pocak, dracmas and buZztiaan like this.
  14. dsblackout

dsblackout Still Fresh

I actually want to change to 2GB/US LTE and don't know how to do so.

Grench likes this.
  15. levi

In think the only way at present is to request a cancellation of your 4GB unit and preorder a 2GB one instead. But it's not clear if ED will still email preorderers to offer them an in-place change, or if he considers the 4GB problem nearly solved now, and thinks it's still worth producing 4GB units with minimal changes now-ish, rather than delay making 4GB boards until the problem's totally solved.

16. WizardStan

WizardStan Mega GP Mania

As I recall you don't actually have to do anything. Right now the numbers are just for estimates, you're not locked into anything until you make the final payment, at which point you can choose something else.

17. JDTAY

JDTAY Very Active Member

Hey guys, according to this mailing list post, probably something that was done to the prototype boards by the Pyra crew caused the 4GB issue, meaning that the production boards probably don't have to be replaced. I think. I'm not 100% at reading this hardware related stuff. Maybe someone else can explain it better?

https://www.pyra-handheld.com/pipermail/kernel/2017-October/002093.html

ible, Djoga'Ro and ClockworkCoder like this.
  18. RDF300

RDF300 Still Fresh

i believe this was because they are trying different memory chips (as part of a troubleshooting step) and from an old mailer post i remember them suggesting trying some other memory chips.

"these shorts did not exists before starting rework"

Is what leads me to believe this is the case, but correct me if i am wrong?

JDTAY likes this.
  19. mc2

mc2 Still Fresh

I was less interested in a metal case when I learned that it would negatively affect WiFi. If this plastic/carbon-mix material does not affect WiFi as much as metal, than I would be very interested in buying a Pyra with it, even if this were an option with a higher price.

20. NetBLOKS

NetBLOKS Finally on-board

As far as I know, carbon is frowned upon in modern RC quad-copters and cars because of shielding 2,4 GHz communication.
    But maybe this material is not affecting this range because of another structure when mixed with plastic.