An Open Letter To The Openpandora Team

Do you sign under this open letter to devs?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

• I can't, I'm the dev

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
EvilDragon said:
So PLEASE wait until we're finished... oh, yes, and keep in mind that the font we use CAN'T BE A COMMERCIAL COPYRIGHTED one... except for anyone wants to pay us the license fee.
It seems very unlikely like you will have to pay for DejaVu Sans font - http://dejavu-fonts.org/wiki/index.php?title=License . It is also apparently preferred font by "community".

Now, I shut up. And refuse to sign any further petitions or even take part in any polls on the subject.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry, I cannot vote, because the option "I'll cancel my order if I can't get the layout that satisfies me" is not an option for me.

I will however cancel my order if the developers choose to ignore the community's decision on the keyboard layout. That decision is not the layout I prefer, but it is nevertheless the layout that should be used.

See the difference?

Karel Jansens said:
I'm sorry, I cannot vote, because the option "I'll cancel my order if I can't get the layout that satisfies me" is not an option for me.

I will however cancel my order if the developers choose to ignore the community's decision on the keyboard layout. That decision is not the layout I prefer, but it is nevertheless the layout that should be used.

See the difference?
What an incredible display of arrogance! Who are YOU to say what design should be used - and since when has it been the community's decision?

Try reading this post from the start, to date.

My last post on this subject now I think...

I can't wait for my Pandora. The first time I heard about it was over 15 months ago. There were no pictures at that stage, but from the description it sounded like the ideal piece of technology for me.

Back then, we had the first (basic) mock ups of the Pandora, and it was fantastic. Not for a minute did I think back then that the keys didn't look right, the font's didn't look right etc etc.

All I saw was a mock up of the machine and it looked exactly as it had been described.

Some 15 months later, the community has added their input down the line, and there has been nothing wrong with that. But said community (and once again I refer to the minority) are in danger of creating a monster.

I couldn't care less if the fonts were engraved using prehistoric dinosaur shit - all I see from the renders that Ed has worked on (and probably wishes he hadn't now bothered) - is a machine THAT HAS EXCEEDED MY EXPECTATIONS IN EVERY WAY.

So again thanks to Craig, Ed etc for creating this for us - you will at least have one happy customer when it all comes to fruition.

I honestly chuckled out loud a few times reading all of this. I remember being shunned a while back when I mentioned people shouldn't get too caught up in this topic because of the lack of confirmation from the developers. (Not that I think the developers are doing a bad job at all). Cheez-its Christ it's a freaking keyboard! As long as Q is next to W is next to E, what's the big deal? If you want to type your crazy characters, isn't that a software issue?

danjh0 said:
So again thanks to Craig, Ed etc for creating this for us - you will at least have one happy customer when it all comes to fruition.
+1

Can someone close this?

just another +1 for a "generic" keyboard without to any "special" characters on it. (and yes I do need them ...)

Karel Jansens said:

See the difference?
Karel,

Thats going overboard big time.

cosurgi:

1: That the layout decision was final by a poll was never agreed upon by the developers. They where going to take things in consideration as the followed the discussion. But i never one's saw any of them write: "Sure, whoever wins, we will use, no mather what"...

2: This is one that really pisses me off: "your will see that only 240 from among 4000 people". This is claiming that the poll in question regarding International characters, is opposed by 3760 people. No, this is whats called PR spin-doctoring off the first class. Only 240 people voted on the options, and thats it. Most off those 4000 people are not even present on this forum, or are lurking ( meaning no vote, as you need a account to vote ).

This amount off spin-doctoring makes a already bias push to get your layout approved look even worse ( even more so, when you start mailing the developers ). I have never put my disappointment under the chair about the PR / Communication off the developers in the past ( thank god *figure of speech* for the community blog ), but imho trying to push your agenda by mail, is a no go in my eyes. You may disagree ...

2b: Compose and AltGr is really valuable on a limited keyboard. Its freaking even used less then CTRL-ALT. And those are just less then Point-Comma. O see, i win, lets all do what i say not? O wait?

The best people to know what layout will be the best from experience, is those that actually use the product ( or samples )! And the people who actually have samples are the developers.

3: There have been a few things that have bothered me about that poll from the start.

3a) One, your layout was primary. Then you have another 3 layout alternatives ( taking about 70% off the post restate ).

Only then you see Kagato layout. To be honest, i wonder if i need to hold a poll, to see how many people noticed Kagato's layout?

Hell, i typed in the wrong name in one off the reply's to it, talking about Kagato's layout but using Cosurgi's name wrongly. :)

Then there is the 4th layout, your alternative one ( "in case Kagato's design" ), with the . and , as special function ( green ). This by itself has troubled the water ( as you can tell in some off the reply's ).In my honest opinion, its breaking the rules already by using the "mouse toggle" as a way to draw in some off the . , voters.

This gives people who might vote for Kagato's design, the illusion, that your 4th layout, is your primary. That almost screams "If you pick Kagato's, please, still pick mine".

Also, the discussion was for a large part ALT, CTRL vs Point, Comma on the primary keys.

This poll options does not reflect that.

Cosurgi - Alt, Ctrl on the keyboard [ 189 ] ** [54.15%]
Kagato - Alt, Ctrl on shoulders [ 160 ] ** [45.85%]

Anybody notice the problem? A large part off the discussion have been going on about the CTRL-ALT vs Point-Comma. Very neutral poll indeed...

For a poll, you need to have 1 layout each, and not multi layouts. And you need a set standard.

Remember, with statistics you can prove anything, as long as the questions are made to favor the answer you want.

My opinion:

Keys that are standard ( white ), need to be one's that you use on a regular base. CTRL & ALT do not fit that bill. I said it then, and i will gladly say it again. How many times do you use CTRL & ALT on your daily work? How many times do you use Point & Comma. A keyboard layout is to generate the maximum off comfort, and usability.

The only reason why i see that you need CTRL for any large amount, is using emacs. If that is the case, then we can all start voting of putting " : " as default, well, i use VI. So, lets make that a default key! O wait.

Sorry if this comes over hardly, but something like those poll's need to be done by a neutral party. I did not see the president debates going ... Hey, Obama, you make the questions, and let somebody form your team lecturer them. No. Both party's view the rules, look over the question, and decide by coin toss or approval who goes first. Because we all know, that a lot off things can swing the vote off people.

And to be honest, i looked at the Pandora rendering, and you did not see me go "Yes, we won, wieeee, point comma won!". No, my reason was: "Looks good", lets get to production. The font looked good, and the layout did not bother me. Thats how it needs to be.

craigix said:
This is a bit weird, we have said the keypad isn't finished and that we are reading the threads and talking about it via email.

What more can we do right now? We won't rush to a final layout - we have until the mould is complete (another couple of weeks) to get this right.
We'll I think that the big thing was that the layout you we're working on was so different to the one the community had voted for previously, that it seemed that you would just totally skip their (6 month long?) layout design.
(note: which i weren't a part of because i found out of the pandora in december '08)
I think that you should take your time on working the layout, but present it to the community for suggestions in time (so that a few revisions can be worked out?) before making it final.

craigix said:
I think it's pretty clear though that we can't please everyone, maybe we should ship some small white square stickers which you can put above/along side some keys and draw your own extra chars....
Personally, I'm not going to put any stickers on my pandora's keys, but it wouldn't hurt.
What I am asking for, is in case the majority's view of having no äöü(etc) printed will be done (which i think you should seriously consider),
is just to have a few adjacent keys with no default Fn-funktion so they can be remapped to whatever the user likes without having to lose any functionality of the original keymap.

I'm not going to post on this issue again before we have the keymap i can comment on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back