Aluminium Case ready for preorder! (2014-07-18)

Okay, I'm working with IDV to create as photorealistic mockups as possible.

This is pretty close to what Pearl Mouse Grey will look like:

MouseGrey.png
I will need to work a bit more on the black one. I'll post it here as well, as soon as I got it.
Thanks Ed for producing this.  Hope it rests some concerns and preorder will pick up its speed...

* now only 482 ;)

Too more and we are already 20 preorderers.
Did you go for black?
Yes, I did.

MouseGrey.png

I will need to work a bit more on the black one. I'll post it here as well, as soon as I got it.
That looks brighter than I imagined. Now imagine that mixed with black. Must look wonderful!

Wow, nice rendering, which program was used? I never get this quality in Blender and I'm not even sure it's because of my lack of skills or because of general Blender render qualities.Case looks almost as I have expected after seeing the alu samples, maybe the render pic is little bit brighter and less green than the test objects.

However, as soon as you have finished both colours, put it onto the preorder website, will help alot I'm sure. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
blackalupanda.png

Blender as per usual took a disliking to my skillset.  I have another project file where i followed a tutorial, but i dont really know what im doing. Either the object is missing from the rendering, or its got lots of red dots..

of course cut off the pic where the palm corners are....
They have been angled such that they now include blades.
Oh the Photoshop possibilities...

Back on topic.. I'm holding out for an aluminum case option for the pyra. I guess I don't share as much love for my pandy anymore as some it seems. Its awesome that this long discussed idea is happening. Would have been fantastic if it happened a couple years ago.

^ I intend to keep my Pandora. I hope it lasts indefinitely. But, I've hardly used it the last year. I needed to upgrade the size of one of my SD cards and never got around to it (something else was always more important).

Now with a new case, and after being fully repaired (usb port was failing), I'm buying a new sd card from ED as well... I expect I am going to have a great time exploring everything that's been developed for it over the past year. I'm in no hurry to get a Pyra... I'll probably wait till it's been out for a while, but there is still so much my Pandora can offer me. I'm thrilled I can finally get an aluminium case for it. :)

=~. O =

I'm definitely interested in preordering a case, but I want to see what a sample of the jet black looks like before I decide on what color to get. Also, will the aluminum have a smooth or etched texture and will the plastic wifi cover be painted to match the case? I'm quite a bit worried about the appearance (and durability) of the plastic wifi window. Would it be possible to get a case without the window?

Please, no paint.  I am just starting to get used to the idea of black window on mouse grey.

Durability of wifi window is a concern, but my guess is that IDV will make sure it will be at least as durable as the original plastic cases.

@IDV and Ed: Please make the case so that the inner lid can be open easily for the purpose of replacing broken LCD and/or LCD cable and whatnot. It's extremely difficult to do this now with the plastic case.

@IDV and Ed: Please make the case so that the inner lid can be open easily for the purpose of replacing broken LCD and/or LCD cable and whatnot. It's extremely difficult to do this now with the plastic case.
I think I also requested this, but either way:

Yes, please do this.

↑ + 1
The lid itself and also the hinge. I need a vise each time I try to remove it and that's just the plastic case. 

So, what's our pre-order tally up to? Is 22 accurate? Should ED be sending out ads to previous buyers to drum up sales. I really hope we can reach 100. I would hate for this not to be made.

Chris

I will be an additional one.  I forgot to take care of some stuff with an account I am meant to close Monday.  I would feel more guilty if we had 2 or 3 times the number of preorders we have.

I am willing to do whatever I can to help bring more attention to this, but most of the Pandora owners I know of are on here.  Everyone else I know with one already knows.  If anyone has any suggestions please share them.

Edit:  Maybe ED can post something on Twitter.

I will be one more as well, but I would like to put off color selection until the first samples come off the production line and I can see how the WiFi window looks. I PM'd ED to see if I can switch my color choice once the first couple are produced, but I think he's a bit too busy to respond at the moment. I know I definitely will get one, but am apprehensive about committing to a color at this stage.

Back