Aluminium Case ready for preorder! (2014-07-18)

If you're fitting the case yourself, can't you just take the empty case part to your local jeweller and get them to engrave something?
Probably, but I think the idea was suggested to increase preorders.

But then it will be hard to sell your pandora later because I don't want my Pandora to have "Fusion Power" on it :p
It's always Fusion_Power by the way.  -_-   

Engraving would be optional of course and overall, if you want to sell your Pandora on day, maybe you should not buy the Alu-case then.  ;) And if you love your Pandora, you don't sell it at all! ^^

Or just sell the internals with the old case and keep the Alu Case. ^^
Well, if the value of my Pandora fitted with the Aluminum case increases 10-fold (since it's a rare device) I would sell it ;)

Pity how few people have already ordered. I was away on vacations and will be away again soon, so I won't order too soon either.

And I have to say it again: I would really like to know how that plastic window will look like. If it doesn't look well or reduces stability too much I'd prefer no window.

I guess I'll decide whether I'm ordering one in three weeks or so.

I would also prefer no window. But I've imagined the ugliest possible placement of the windows and decided I still want the case. I thought it would be wisest to go with the black aluminium case to hide the window, but I really want the mouse grey colour... A weirdly placed off center black plastic window on the grey case might even look pretty cool... much akin to the tilted chip on the Pyra board.

I've made peace with whatever it looks like.

It will be awesome.

=~. O =

I would also prefer no window. But I've imagined the ugliest possible placement of the windows and decided I still want the case. I thought it would be wisest to go with the black aluminium case to hide the window, but I really want the mouse grey colour... A weirdly placed off center black plastic window on the grey case might even look pretty cool... much akin to the tilted chip on the Pyra board.

I've made peace with whatever it looks like.

It will be awesome.

=~. O =
I tried to think of the worst possible look, but I also tried to think of how something of this sort might look good.

DSC_8363.jpg

DSC_8348.jpg

Those are on the back of this:

DSC_82681.jpg

A keyboard? pffft that's so 20th century.  ;)
Fixed.
My crystal ball never lies. :p
There is the possibility of temporal displacement, so you might want to check it out.  I could be wrong, however it sure seems most portable devices being sold now, in the early 21st century, lack a keyboard.  Also, I believe portable devices are currently the most sold electronics.  I think if keyboards are going to be popular in this century they will be found on most of these.

It also says that Craig will win a businessman of the year award and ED will hand over the reins of the Pyra project to him, so it seems like it's working fine to me. :)

Compared to today's netbook-designs the vision from the late 90ies of how things will look like in the future are incredibly bulky and clumsy ... when watching Star Trek TNG nowadays you don't really think about it, but when they made the series things like tablets and touchscreens really were a thing of the future. Today it doesn't seem strange at all to have a shiny black screen where things pop up and you can touch them to interact with the controls ... imagine showing a tablet or smartphone to a Trekkie in 1994 ...

imagine showing a tablet or smartphone to a Trekkie in 1994
I don't apply that label to myself, although I do like Star Trek.  Devices such as these were available to consumers at that time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Simon

Also the Fujitsu Stylistic 500 was released around that time, but Wikipedia doesn't have a page for it so here is a different tablet:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GRiDPad

Also the Newton was around. 

By 1996 a tricorder was available to consumers.  I knew someone with one, but thought it was too expensive and not close enough to the screen used props after which it was modeled:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tricorder#.22Real.22_tricorders

A few devices occasionally are so far ahead of themselves that they get used in SciFi series.

The Tapwave Zodiac appeared repeatedly in both Stargate SG1 and Stargate Atlantis.

But then, so did the OQO.

A few devices occasionally are so far ahead of themselves that they get used in SciFi series.

The Tapwave Zodiac appeared repeatedly in both Stargate SG1 and Stargate Atlantis.

But then, so did the OQO.
Many found items are used for props, sometimes in their original form, sometimes with little touch ups to make them more, uh, futuristic, or advanced, or something.  Unfortunately the Zodiac was not used as intended, unless there was a lot of behind the scenes stuff done, which I think should be included in such shows.  This is always one of my complaints.  Screw ratings, show me how to use a Zodiac with a naquadah generator.  The Zodiac as a prop is something I have looked into a couple times before.  If I had a lot of disposable income I would be making plenty of replica props, some even functioning as they are depicted on screen.

I am now looking into OQO.  Do you know which model was used?

36 cases sold + 20 for ed. I'm starting to get a bit pessimistic about whether it will ever see the light of day :-/

Fingers crossed

Only 44 more! And I haven't yet ordered mine, but will soon. Hopefully there are a few more lazy people like me.

Back