Absurdism corner

Why?

• Total voters

I really don't like TED talks. "People with more aggressive body language are more successful. Stiffen those shoulders and get good posture!"

I don't like how long this page takes to load now. It is starting to become like the music thread due to all the videos.

Not with NoScript!
<Insert Photoshoped Nazi Propaganda here>
I am not using something like that in this device and browser at present. I can only imagine how my Pandora would break down in tears before finally figuring out what to do with at least one of my main browsers on it. Even my laptop gets a little sluggish with some pages here, depending on the browser and settings atm.

I could try to block videos and such, but I don't mind them when it is just an occasional thing. It is only a problem when there are a bunch of posts of with videos (so I check the music thread rarely, and from a "real" computer...perhaps this thread should be saved for those times, too).

bella.jpg

Easy; $1.27 is 127 cents, and 127 is 2^8-1 i.e. it's 0xFF, or 0b11111111 (for those used to non base-10 numbers).

In real terms it meant he went along one edge, then stopped. He never said he was going to go onto the second line after the first.
...or 63x2=126+1=127=$1.27.

In real terms he put one cent on the first square and 2 on the rest.

This is actually good relationship advice.
When someone is upset/stressed and opens up to you, what he looks for is comfort, not an answer. So the first step is should be listening and being caring and understanding. Discussing solutions should come after that.

If the person is upset about something, it's likely that it's either not something that can be easily solved, or that the person is not looking for a solution but just wants to vent their frustration about it. If you think you can explain to them a perfect solution that will solve everything, you're probably coming off a condescending.

That's actually an advice I was glad to receive, because I used to think that I had to find solutions, and didn't realize that taking care of the person's feeling was what was needed before all. After I learned this, I got much better at handling conflicts and my relationships improved thanks to this.

This is actually good relationship advice.
When someone is upset/stressed and opens up to you, what he looks for is comfort, not an answer. So the first step is should be listening and being caring and understanding. Discussing solutions should come after that.

If the person is upset about something, it's likely that it's either not something that can be easily solved, or that the person is not looking for a solution but just wants to vent their frustration about it. If you think you can explain to them a perfect solution that will solve everything, you're probably coming off a condescending.

That's actually an advice I was glad to receive, because I used to think that I had to find solutions, and didn't realize that taking care of the person's feeling was what was needed before all. After I learned this, I got much better at handling conflicts and my relationships improved thanks to this.
People are different. Some people are rather offended by pity.
Imho the listening person should ask a few questions to get a better picture of the whole situation to not make premature judgements and then give a well thought out solution, but I learned that many people just want to be pitied and communication is meant rather one-sided in the first place. Hearing someone whine about completely self-inflicted problems (because of drug abuse for example) gets on my nerves and I still just say "stop doing it then, problem solved". Same with other addictions like towards assholes as partners, I can only say "well, change your priorities then and be less superficial". Then again, I've stopped caring about burned bridges and am probably not the best "socializer" around since I often don't see the point.

In conclusion: It depends on the individual case and the term "self inflicted problem" isn't in the middle of the pic without reason.
Problems one can't really do much about are a completely different matter, in this case I'd see it as a cry for outside intervention, like with sexually abused children, domestic violence, unemployment due to discrimination or lack of physical equipment etc...
Most of those people whining don't seem to know real problems first hand though and the ones that do are rather too silent.

Last edited:
I think I fall on the side that is actually looking for advice/assistance. I understand that I am probably overlooking things that could benefit me to know, however, since I am seeing it from within the situation (and possibly overwhelmed by my seeming inability to fix the problem) someone else might have a better perspective of what is going on, or they might have resources that they can offer.

Unfortunately @ElPoco is correct, and that isn't what most people seem to want. If offering advice or assistance is not what is wanted I fail horribly. Additionally, I get extremely stressed since I can't help, yet I see that time and energy are being expended toward futile acts, as depicted in the comic. If someone is looking for a release it could be directed toward something productive (or destructive, although we should all be careful with that one...maybe go chop wood or tear down something that needs to be removed anyway). I understand that doesn't work for everyone, which is too bad, as it is probably less uncomfortable.

Back