Absurdism corner

Why?

• Total voters

aba8c7991ff4f16e94468d63bd703711.gif

Names are kind of pointless other than to refer to a specific individual.  I don't think there need to be gender specific names, and there are some common ones that are used by males and females (Sam, for example).  I have a friend that was named after a friend of her parents that was a man, and the name is now almost always thought of as a name for women in the US.  I think Ashley is another one of those ones that has come to be more often used for women than men, although I don't think it always was.  If the name James is too masculine for you, if you ever meet a woman named James ask if you can call her Jamie.

Edit: Ashley seems to have originally been a surname that became a first name and was originally used for males.  I think the same may be true for the name of my friend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Names do have a point.

What is the point of names, other than what I said, and people feeling they are somehow showing respect or continuing a tradition that is largely lost or meaningless to those that haven't been told the history or meaning of a name?

I have considered legally changing my name to various things over the years, including a number, a meaningless name I created, an inanimate object that is not commonly used as a name, and my username.

You pay for it and I will.

Edit: For reference, I don't go by my given name.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dunno.  Find out everything and get back to me.  If I cared enough to look into it I would have changed my name already.

I have been called many things over the years.  Some that made some sort of sense, and others people just wanted to call me.  One of the more interesting was "Chaos" after "The Crawling Chaos" but was meaningless and merely convenient for the people calling me that after I used the full title for something.  Pretty amusing if you consider the things that were destroyed.  Even when I chose to use the full thing it was merely because I couldn't think of something better.

I also just remembered that when I mentioned changing my name to my grandmother years ago she wanted me to name myself after her.  Her name is, as far as I know, only used by women and is no longer used much.

Over a decade ago I had someone tell me that they wanted to write a book about my life because of how crazy it was, however he figured no one would believe it.  This person only knew me for a few years, and he got to experience just how weird things can get in that short time.  It may not always be fun to live my life, but it is interesting to talk about it later.

I detest my real name.. where I lived people confused it and a name that was close to it at the ending but not the begining..... Yeah infuriating... VERY infuriating. It got to the point I just started using my alias instead I got from my past life....

I've had people meet me in person and refer to me as Darko due to my time in the car show scene where I used that name as a proper alias.  

So if anybody calls me Darko you have my attention like beetle juice... Probably would be close to the same thing having me appear out of the blue with how I prefer to dress,

The first part of my compound name is so old style German and not used anymore for 1-2 generations at all, that I didn't use it anymore at some point in school and kept it that way, because it was one of the reasons for severe bullying (besides poverty and others) und at that time I was too much of a pacifist to end the bullying like I did later. I detest the first part and the second one is so common, that I know someone with a similar name everywhere, including my boss, but I still use this one since I didn't yet change it to Xardas. :p

Back