Absurdism corner

Why?

• Total voters

cat_is_ready_for_trip.jpg

Making something taboo or bad has an affect on certain people that makes them want to do it. Take a look at trends of how people romanticize crime and such,  even the  "thug life" or "gangsta" trends that over glorify that element of rather weak organized crime.  So in many cases drugs, alcohol, guns and other such things when vilified to such a horrific extent will cause people to levitate towards them. Same could be said with other socially taboo things like tattoos and piercings and with sexual taboos
Woot? It's hard to find a female here that hasn't got piercings and tattoos (girls without body modifications have become quite rare) and I don't know of any sexual taboos apart from necrophilia and zoophilia that are still acround here but a lot of bdsm even in quite young people (around 18) and quite many openly promiscuous women. I can definitely say, that the moment those things weren't taboo anymore, they spread like wildfire because ex-taboos obviously tend to become trends, so your theory isn't realistic at all.

I'm pretty sure that the moment gun control would be abolished around here, everyone who never even thought about and never had interest in it would get a gun just because "now they can".
Once again Europe vs America. In Europe sexuality is a tad bit open. In america Tattoos and piercings will make you kicked out of the hiring pool if you show up with any regardless of what they are. Yet people still get them because they're becoming popular and people know about the way society, but you're right about Ex-taboos coming trends.. people who have thought about it or had it are now open meaning more are able to get it done. Therefore creating a higher percentage of people getting it done. Ex-taboos do become trends, but trends do tend to fall out. Rebellion->Acceptance-> Trend -> Meh... (Trend and acceptance can be swapped around because certain things became trends from rebellion then were accepted.)   When something becomes a trend it will usually fall out only leaving the "hardcore" people behind. Band wagon jumping is something you commonly see especially in younger groups. Its also how a lot of marketing is done, but that's another topic entirely.

America has a very interesting perspective of sex. It openly promotes it while at the same time tabooing it. Its hilarious to some extent. Its kind've bi-polar when it comes to sexuality.

I'm not an expert these all from my general observations of life, and considering I'm far from "normal" Things can get interesting with my perspective (especially sexuality)

people who have thought about it or had it are now open meaning more are able to get it done. Therefore creating a higher percentage of people getting it done.
Yes, but this is not what I meant, those are usually far less than the people feeling the need to demonstrate their "freedom" by doing stuff that has become accepted although they never would have had any interest in it otherwise.

Ex-taboos do become trends, but trends do tend to fall out. Rebellion->Acceptance-> Trend -> Meh... (Trend and acceptance can be swapped around because certain things became trends from rebellion then were accepted.)   When something becomes a trend it will usually fall out only leaving the "hardcore" people behind. Band wagon jumping is something you commonly see especially in younger groups. Its also how a lot of marketing is done, but that's another topic entirely.
In most cases yes, but it has spread to permanent stuff like the mentioned body-mods (mostly irreversible) and not waiting for the next real love to have sex (which is a line to cross too since it's no proof of love anymore afterwards).

Last edited by a moderator:
In most cases yes, but it has spread to permanent stuff like the mentioned body-mods (mostly irreversible) and not waiting for the next real love to have sex (which is a line to cross too since it's no proof of love anymore afterwards).
And thus comes the debates about societal values going down the drain, where to put the blame, and who to throw onto the flame.

These are constantly evolving trends that happen every decade or so. However, the permanent stuff does pose a question of regret. In the us there seems to be a trend for highschool pregnancies to the point where its becoming "Accepted" instead of the societal shunned like it normally is.  While this variable was always a constant, the age at which this occurs is lowering at a steady rate. There's many things that are becoming more aware of due to technology, but also at the same time allowing isolation and reconfirmation of opinions.... Want proof of that.. look at the keyboard threads on this forum or many thumblr pages.. If you get 5 or 10 people saying the same thing in a closed setting they will eventually believe they everybody else is wrong.... *Begins to wonder if he just made a revelation about politics.* Our world has gotten larger yet at the same time divided up. You can find reassurance for almost anything today, and even justification.  Any group, sub-group will create a small area where their opinions are viewed as correct.  Whether the introduction of this  has played an impact on our society is measurable (Or is it so large it isn't measurable anymore?) And after all of these statements of varying one one has to simply question what does our values and acceptance of what is normal even stem from?  Our society is changing whether for the good, or the worse, all depends on the perspective of the individual... and their situation.

And after all of these statements of varying one one has to simply question what does our values and acceptance of what is normal even stem from?  Our society is changing whether for the good, or the worse, all depends on the perspective of the individual... and their situation.
All I wish for is, that people are aware of the fact, that everything they do has a permament impact on themselves, their environment and in the end on society as a whole too.

Making decisions based on trends is always a bad idea since people instinctively give away their responsibility and they do so in echo chambers too. Reason isn't as important as the number of "followers".

By the way: The word "followers" is strongly associated with "cults" in my mind and I always shudder a bit when I see it on social media used so casually.

There's many things that are becoming more aware of due to technology, but also at the same time allowing isolation and reconfirmation of opinions.... Want proof of that.. look at the keyboard threads on this forum or many thumblr pages.. If you get 5 or 10 people saying the same thing in a closed setting they will eventually believe they everybody else is wrong.... *Begins to wonder if he just made a revelation about politics.* Our world has gotten larger yet at the same time divided up. You can find reassurance for almost anything today, and even justification.  Any group, sub-group will create a small area where their opinions are viewed as correct.  Whether the introduction of this  has played an impact on our society is measurable (Or is it so large it isn't measurable anymore?) And after all of these statements of varying one one has to simply question what does our values and acceptance of what is normal even stem from?  Our society is changing whether for the good, or the worse, all depends on the perspective of the individual... and their situation.
With the human population ever growing and the communication networks connecting so many at the same time, the individual has become unimportant and this has troubling effects imho.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back