Absurdism corner

Why?

• Total voters

I dare not Google what Obay actually is.
It was a satire campaign run in Ontario by pharmacy colleges. It made fun of big pharma advertising that is run in the USA. The eventual payoff (or their end goal, I don't know if it worked or not) was to raise awareness of colleges vs university and to inform parents that their child shouldn't go to university just because "they said so", if the kid wants to attend a college that is their decision.In Ontario a lot of people somehow got this notion that University education is strictly better than College education and no one really knows why (actually I do know why, it's because of all the US media we consume which has different meanings for those two institutions) and there's a constant war against this misinformation to convince parents that forcing your kid to go to a university is a mistake.

Wait up! Isn't College and University the same thing in NA?
In the US essentially it is there is practically no different, in Canada I thought there was some distinction between the two that mattered... ***Summon WizardStan for proper answer***

Last edited by a moderator:
University is more theoretical, college is more practical.

A university chem student might go on to study effects of different medicines while a college student might go on to make those different medicines.

In the US essentially it is there is practically no different
That's not what TV tells us, unfortunately: universities are big and powerful and important, while colleges are like the TV show community.

A university chem student might go on to study effects of different medicines while a college student might go on to make those different medicines.
Sounds like "Fachhochschule vs. Universität" in Germany.

Of course to confuse things even more, some universities here in the UK have "colleges".

These are social and administrative groupings (the logical descendants of boarding school 'houses') - they are not separate educational institutions, and the curriculum still tends to be a highly academic one.

5d3ced03a651a32179c951323a7bdbff.jpg

The problem with that is that Jessie and James were not "some adult couple", they were 17, and Brock was only 15.

In the US essentially it is there is practically no different
That's not what TV tells us, unfortunately: universities are big and powerful and important, while colleges are like the TV show community.
I don't know, in the US there are some Colleges that are just as or more prestigious than many Universities. The term going to college is used often to those going to a University or a College. I know traditionally the differentiation is how many graduate level courses are offered and of course certain Universities draw in some elitists, however many colleges like the one I'm attending offers just as many choices for graduate level courses as any University and the degree from that College has as much weight as one from a University.

University is more theoretical, college is more practical
My experience, as one of your neighbors to the south,  reflects this.  I think that it is typically more like what TrashyMG said, as my experience is somewhat limited (4 schools total, 2 of which were actually community colleges, not universities that call themselves colleges.  These colleges usually only offer 2 and sometimes 4 year degrees, while the others, and universities, usually also offer higher programs as TrashyMG said, but may not offer 2 year options).  Some of my college classes have been theoretical, and some of my university classes are very practical, but out of the 5 I am taking right now only 1 is pretty strictly practical, and it is a university class.  It is also technical (a Linux class).  The class I am taking at my college is mostly about understanding some of the theory behind writing (although there are a few practical assignments to actually write papers using what we are learning) and is a requirement for my University degree.  The rest of my classes are some of those to make students "well rounded".  I prefer learning the why and how, then doing, rather than just discussing things.  I can discuss pointless things here.

Of course to confuse things even more, some universities here in the UK have "colleges".

These are social and administrative groupings (the logical descendants of boarding school 'houses') - they are not separate educational institutions, and the curriculum still tends to be a highly academic one.
I think this is like some of the colleges/universities here, where they will have colleges.  The colleges still fall under the university, but are dedicated to certain fields and degrees.  I don't know how widespread this is.

From here.

I had to install Windows on a virtual machine today to install some crappy work related Semiconductor tester software... I feel a bit better now that I'm home and the nausea subsided.
I am probably going to have to do the same so that I can install Respondus LockDown Browser, if it will work.  I haven't really looked into it much, other than to see what it is and why it is needed.  

Actually, there is a better thread for me to discuss this.
So it is designed to keep you from cheating.  I guess it keeps you from being able to get the right click menu, or open new tabs, and maybe prevents you from being able to do other things.  I don't really know or care, because when I am doing tests and such online I am usually surrounded by several other computers and devices with internet access.  If I wanted to cheat this browser would not prevent it.  The only thing this does is make things more inconvenient for me, as I am not a Windows or Mac user.  It may be possible to get it running using Wine or something, but that isn't the important part.  How would this stop me from cheating, especially if I have to use Wine or a VM to make use of it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back