4GB and 1,5GHz? Confirmed.

Regarding the keymat: "The new samples are planned to arrive here in week 12".
I'm a little lost on how I should interpret this. Does this mean the 12th week of the year (end of March ish)? Is it a a typo and meant to be "here in a week or two"?

Numbering the weeks is quite a common practice in managing a big project, as it makes working out durations in weeks a lot easier. The only complication is I can never remember if week 1 is the first part week of the year, or the first whole week (and whether it starts on a Monday or a Sunday, but that's less important). And I guess this year the whole week thing doesn't matter either with the first of Jan being a sunday. Third week of March, I make it, assuming nothing slips (which you can rarely assume to be fair).

So, nothing new finalized and another iteration needed all across the board :(
I suppose bad news is better than no news.

@Caine: I dont get your sadness, read the quote of ED below:

Nikolaus also made the changes to the mainboard (including Wifi antenna optimizations) and already sent them to Global Components.

Which means: We can order these as well - so much for the main hardware :D

The mainboard can and will be produced now!!! Happyhappyjoyjoy!
That means that they will be finished in line with the CPU boards (which started about two weeks ago and need about 6 weeks) and as far as I remember, the mainboards needed about 4 weeks.
It is strange, that on the last stretch of the road, it seems that more and more people are getting impatient or maybe a bit nervous.

So I say: great news indeed!

And there I first thought they meant in twelve weeks. I'm relieved.
That silicone makes me curious. Can't wait for the new keymat to arrive, would love to hear your feedback.

It is strange, that on the last stretch of the road, it seems that more and more people are getting impatient or maybe a bit nervous.

I think there are perfectly understandable reasons at this point. Everything seems to be coming together for the Pyra, and many i's being dotted and t's crossed, but no mention of final projected dates.

I think it's better that those finalised dates are not rushed/estimated, as they could be more damaging if incorrect dates are given. It's at a critical stage of development.

However, it will be nice to see the light at the end of it all :)

I think that might be difficult for him for biological reasons. If you plan to just give him your children I hope he tells you to raise your own damn kids. :p

1200.jpg

Take my kids, please.

No but seriously, this update is another great one. Closer everyday!

Bad news?
All these posts from ED with small updates, improvements, fixes and his eye for detail make me more and more confident that the Pyra will become an excellent product.

I do think he is being a bit nitpicky with the case and keymat....

But this is his baby so I'll get it when it's ready.

I do think he is being a bit nitpicky with the case and keymat....

But this is his baby so I'll get it when it's ready.

Not being nitpicky, the case was a disaster with the Pandora. Making sure the keymat, shoulder buttons (another disaster with Pandora) and gaming controls are spot-on just make the Pyra that much better once complete. Great work ED & devs!

Not being nitpicky, the case was a disaster with the Pandora. Making sure the keymat, shoulder buttons (another disaster with Pandora) and gaming controls are spot-on just make the Pyra that much better once complete. Great work ED & devs!

Yep...i have two...

If you look at the clear cases and all the keymats tested.. They look ready, (aside from a stylus wiggle). We passed Pandora quality after the first revision and we are at 5 or 6 and talking about 0.3mm??

The people complaining about how long everything takes would be the same people losing their cool about that 0.3mm when the fit and finish sucks and the device plays like ass or the keyboard sticks. I'm sure even with all these revisions there will still be things that people complain about.

I'm paying enough money for this damn thing, I can handle a level of almost obsessive attention to detail. If we're going to do this thing why not do it right?

The people complaining about how long everything takes would be the same people losing their cool about that 0.3mm when the fit and finish sucks and the device plays like ass or the keyboard sticks. I'm sure even with all these revisions there will still be things that people complain about.

I'm paying enough money for this damn thing, I can handle a level of almost obsessive attention to detail. If we're going to do this thing why not do it right?
Amen to that.

You guys are blowing my comments waaaay out of context. I haven't and don't complain about my Pandora. The Pyra is going to be much more finished so I wont have any problems with that either.

I know this is ED's baby, I know he wants it to be perfect (even though I personally don't need it to be). I can respect that, and I am ok waiting as I said before.

Last edited:
Personally, I'm more hopeful that the prototypes that have gone out, or will soon be going out will eventually produce some new videos. I remember seeing the videos from the Pandora which made me put an order in to the old second pre-order queue, and then later upgrade it to a german 1GHz unit when those became available (and I realised that was pretty much the only way to get out of the old preorder queue, and help make the Pandora that did all of those cool things not a complete failure).

Pre-order fulfilment can come later on. All I want now is to see it running Super Mario World or something on dodgy phone cam video. The illuminated keyboard should make it look even more spectacular, even with shaky phone footage.

I haven't seen you around here for a while. Good to see you're still attached and interested!

And you're right about needing to pay attention to the case & keymat & controls. These are quite literally human interface devices. They need to be damn good.

Back