2 New Blog Posts: 98% Success Rate! + Lightpipes

Evil, could you post some bigger pictures? maybe that would help since the little pics are pixely.

EvilDragon said:
Well, some things on the silk:
The BT logo can't be used. Yes, membership is free - but to put the logo as member onto a device, you need to pay 3000 EUR.
I couldn't find any real good replacement for it. There was one nice looking similar to the BT one at the thread, but that was TOO similar... this could also end up somebody sueing us.

The First Batch text is there (and no box with a 1 or whatever), since it won the poll. Even Craig and Michael voted for the box with the 1, however, we kept it because the Pandora is a community device and the community decided with a poll.

I have no idea why the designs shouldn't be, all letters an numbers are the same font (and we have to use a ROYALTY FREE font, we can't just use any font we like...)
I think the font looks fine really. BT doesn't bug me that much, it's one of those things that I won't even care about when I get my Pandora. I really like the 'First Batch', so all in all it looks good and I don't think anyone can complain.

Last edited by a moderator:
EvilDragon said:
Well, some things on the silk:
The BT logo can't be used. Yes, membership is free - but to put the logo as member onto a device, you need to pay 3000 EUR.
I couldn't find any real good replacement for it. There was one nice looking similar to the BT one at the thread, but that was TOO similar... this could also end up somebody sueing us.

The First Batch text is there (and no box with a 1 or whatever), since it won the poll. Even Craig and Michael voted for the box with the 1, however, we kept it because the Pandora is a community device and the community decided with a poll.

I have no idea why the designs shouldn't be, all letters an numbers are the same font (and we have to use a ROYALTY FREE font, we can't just use any font we like...)

I'm really not trying to diminish your huge efforts but I just don't think it looks good at all.

I am also aware that these things are subjective and a matter of taste.

What with the |0|0| on the A/V port? If you're going to choose the filled SD card icons, why not choose the filled BT icon? The one you've chosen seems slightly too large. The wireless icon isn't my favourite either, the on with an antenna emitting the radio waves is more pleasing. I could live with everything but the top-left hand side's icons - there's just something about that cluster that looks wrong.

As for royalty free fonts, how about the Liberation family from Red Hat?

The design methodogy isn't fluid, all these icons are different in the way they look, in how simplified they are - that's my main point. I was so impressed at how professional the keypad came out to look, I just don't want the silk screening to ruin the otherwise cool character of the device.

Edit: When I finished writing this and looked again at the image of the front I wasn't as shocked anymore. I'd still like to know what the |0|0| is though.

I guess my reaction is so stark because I've seen better, in my opinion, alternatives in the silk screening thread. More stylised, better designed in general like a graphic artist might have had a look.

This is one area where I think it'd be easy to let the Pandora down. Although I think I'll hold off on killing myself over this. Just a little disappointed.

EvilDragon said:
Not to detract from your decision, but I don't really think that poll was very indicative of the community. Very low voting, and I'm pretty sure someone mentioned that a large number of fake accounts were created for the purpose of skewing the results. The 1-over-box was probably close enough that you could have chosen it for personal reasons and not many people would have complained.

Dead1nside said:
I'm really not trying to diminish your huge efforts but I just don't think it looks good at all.
I am also aware that these things are subjective and a matter of taste.

What with the |0|0| on the A/V port?

That's the serial I/O logo. Not found much anymore nowadays, but check some old computers, it's there.
And we got A/V and Serial I/O on the port.

If you're going to choose the filled SD card icons, why not choose the filled BT icon?

We tried. It looks wrong beneath the wireless icon.

The one you've chosen seems slightly too large.

Did you look at it with the correct size? Resize the image on your PC that the pandora is 14cm wide.
It's not too big. Anything smaller might probably be vey small.

The wireless icon isn't my favourite either, the on with an antenna emitting the radio waves is more pleasing.

That wouldn't make sense, since the antenna logo emitting radio waves is the one for WiFi hotspots. WiFi enabled devices have a dot emitting radio waves, like we have here.

I could live with everything but the top-left hand side's icons - there's just something about that cluster that looks wrong.

Well, we're currently talking with the BT guys, maybe we CAN use the Bluetooth logo.
Their website is pretty confusing when it comes to licensing and costs.

As for royalty free fonts, how about the Liberation family from Red Hat?

Well, why not use Bitstream, the same one we used for the keymat? Wouldn't that be much more consistent?

The design methodogy isn't fluid, all these icons are different in the way they look, in how simplified they are - that's my main point. I was so impressed at how professional the keypad came out to look, I just don't want the silk screening to ruin the otherwise cool character of the device.
[/quote]

Last edited:
IOIOIO
means I/O
it is usually used for Serial Connectors

WizardStan said:
EvilDragon said:
Not to detract from your decision, but I don't really think that poll was very indicative of the community. Very low voting, and I'm pretty sure someone mentioned that a large number of fake accounts were created for the purpose of skewing the results. The 1-over-box was probably close enough that you could have chosen it for personal reasons and not many people would have complained.
There were some fake accounts, but only a few, and it won by more than 20 votes.

I'm not particularly concerned about any of it, myself - it just doesn't seem like a big deal to me. Also, I see I was ninja'd by ED on the serial I/O thing...

Obviously the 10101 is for "21", the legal drinking age in the US, which means that port outputs American beer.

I think it looks fine, I'm probably going to spend like 99% of my Pandora time looking at the screen, not the ports.

The silk screen looks good... We are looking at it far closer then we would in real life. The bluetooth logo could be better but I can live with it in its current condition.

What type of LEDs are used? Are different colors possible on each LED or are they single color? Hope they are the green/orange/red/blue ones :)

To the Devs: Good job! Thanks for the update.

To the Sally's bitching about BT & fonts & any other concern over this silkscreening nonsense: wash your silks & save the bandwidth.

Otherwise: It'll be two more months.

/rant

Link

PS if you can't match the peg to the hole...

Mjlink said:
To the Devs: Good job! Thanks for the update.

To the Sally's bitching about BT & fonts & any other concern over this silkscreening nonsense: wash your silks & save the bandwidth.

Otherwise: It'll be two more months.

/rant

Link

PS if you can't match the peg to the hole...
I respectfully disagree. The community has been behind this project from the beginning and if they have opinions about the design, they should be expressed. Now it's up to OP to decide if anything the community questions has merit and would require a change. They've already stated previously that the silk screening is a quick process so it shouldn't be an issue anyway since we're still a little while away from the end of the month. I mean, let's be honest, once we get the bad boy, all eyes will be on the screen not on the case. However, it's the coolness factor of showing it off to your friends and family causing them to buy one from the second batch that is what you really want. You don't want it to look like it was just thrown together with icons here, text here, and a mixture of text & icons over there.

EvilDragon said:

Maybe a compromise could be reached? (Instead of the Pandora logo next to "First Batch" it could have the Pandora logo with the 1 over it.) I'm not concerned about this part at all, just thought I'd suggest it for those who are displeased.

-God Ginrai

Everyone will never agree on one design so there is little point arguing. Regardless of absolute authenticity, the poll showed what they put on the case. on a slightly unrelated note, would there be any real/serious consequences of putting the "official" bluetooth logo on the device. Not a question of law, a question of consequence and or chances of getting reprimanded.

fretfrenzy182 said:
Everyone will never agree on one design so there is little point arguing. Regardless of absolute authenticity, the poll showed what they put on the case. on a slightly unrelated note, would there be any real/serious consequences of putting the "official" bluetooth logo on the device. Not a question of law, a question of consequence and or chances of getting reprimanded.

Either a very large fine or maybe even a lawsuit. Definitely not something to chance.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
fretfrenzy182 said:

Either a very large fine or maybe even a lawsuit. Definitely not something to chance.

-God Ginrai

Im not advocating this in any way im just curious. I guess to re-phrase my question, who's gonna know?

Nice work, but can these labels be easily scratched off?
There's just a few I don't like, but maybe I'll change my mind when I actually see it in person.

Edit: You know the more I look at it, the more it grows on me.

fretfrenzy182 said:
God Ginrai said:
fretfrenzy182 said:

-God Ginrai

Im not advocating this in any way im just curious. I guess to re-phrase my question, who's gonna know?
There probably is a small department of the Bluetooth Illuminati who look out for unlicensed devices, and now that they are in talks with OP, they will definitely be watching. They can't take any chances with stuff like that, especially if they're hoping to sell a lot more units in the future.

What some of you need to understand, is that the size is allot smaller than it appears, therefore, it's not going to appear as cluttered as it may be to some of you.

The back looks awesome. I'm pleased with the overall look, it's a bit late for nit-picking no?

At this point, if you got an issue with the silk screening, that is the easiest thing to change...when you get your Pandora.

The delta of meaningless process equates to time with a value of zero. <- It's the Chimay talking.

*Back to playing MW2

fretfrenzy182 said:
Considering that they're hoping to produce numbers upwards of 50'000 to 100'000 (although I'm sure they'd love to sell more if the demand appears), I'm pretty sure they're hoping that everyone will know. It only takes the one right person to see it to make everything go wrong, so why take that chance at all?

If we were having this conversation last November, I would not care.

At this point, it could be blank & I'll break out my red sharpie and make some cool labels if I can't memorize the keys.

I want the thing done, I'd like a clear case. But the fact is its black or DS-Black was not my call, whY waste the Devs valuable time or €3000 on a symbol. If this were delivered on schedule this conversation would not have time for anything but an "oh well, its too late." I'm playing SNES on my Pandora & George W Bush is still the dicKtater of Amerika.
these puppies should be rolling out the do! If ya wanna bitch about symantics or have some question like "can the pandora autopilot a space shuttle?" (it can), create a whine here topic. Or create a journal and whine to yourself. Lets roll!

This place is too full of people posting nonsense & clogging up the lines for those who make sense & have value to add, courtesy, and goodness.

/rant2

Link

PS I did not order a Pandora to be designed by this community, when I gave OpenPandora my $(twice), I entrusted THEM.

Back