2 New Blog Posts: 98% Success Rate! + Lightpipes

Glad you like the backdrops. More to come :D

The Greek picture is actually an ancient painting which shows the birth of the Pandora.
I thought it fits :D

WizardStan said:
3) It's free now, but who knows when they'll turn around and decide to be dicks about it. Look at GIF, look at MP3, look at FAT. Better to stick entirely with things you have full legal rights over.

I'm not sure the story on GIF, but I'm fairly sure FAT has always been patented/proprietary, and I *know* MP3 was patented for many years before it became popular.

I highly doubt they could give away licensing to use the logo for free, then a few years later change their minds and charge you for using the Bluetooth logo many years later.

Last edited by a moderator:
this sucks, so the final design for the first batch is going to actually have the text "First Batch" on it? I can't believe they went with that in the end.. it's so crappy looking. the ideas from other people like simply using the pandora logo was perfect.

and BT? everytime I look at that i'm going to think BritishTelecom..

GunPei2X said:
Gary13579 said:
You cannot be that accurate with a sample size of 105 units. For all we know, the success rate is 50%, but they got incredibly lucky with the 105 test units :rolleyes:

I can't be arsed to do the calculations, but IIRC a sample size of 105 is enough to get within a few percentile certainty for a pool of 4000 units.
I can be arsed.
Best case scenario: Those were the only 2 failures out of all 4000, and we have a 99.95% success rate.
Worst case scenario: Those were the only 103 successes out of all 4000, and we have a 2.575% success rate.
But those are both unlikely.

MarkoeZ said:
Also very happy that the First Batch text is still there!!!
Me too. Though I had voted for the "1-in-a-box" in the poll that happened a while back, I later changed my mind - I'm still very fond of how "First Batch" has become part of the vernacular, and I'm glad to see it immortalised here. :p

I'm loving those background pictures, too, and looking forward to seeing more of them. The raindrop-covered one is my favourite right now.

lulzfish said:
Best case scenario: Those were the only 2 failures out of all 4000, and we have a 99.95% success rate.
Worst case scenario: Those were the only 103 successes out of all 4000, and we have a 2.575% success rate.
But those are both unlikely.

No, I'm talking about staistics, i.e. we can be (x)% certain that the 2% fail rate will hold for all 4,000 units within a margin of error of say 3%. What I can't be arsed doing is calculating what (x) is (mainly because I will have to relearn how exactly to do it :) ).

Gary13579 said:
Xian Long said:
actually the success rate is approximately 98.0952380952%

You cannot be that accurate with a sample size of 105 units. For all we know, the success rate is 50%, but they got incredibly lucky with the 105 test units :rolleyes:

actually we have 0,02625 of significance, and poblational polls
usually work even on smaller samples.

if running on normal probability
we are on the Z=2.07

something i expect to get even better after the process goes MP, since these 105 are teh first they usually get more faulty ones because of the tweaking of the process.

running on a cover of 95% and wide of error mean (1.9%) we get a minmax of +-3.135% this means if the rate is kept stable we will
have about 5.035% down to 1.235% of faulty ones it means about
49.4 up to 201.4 units faulty, with 76 as the most probable chance

God Ginrai said:
MarkoeZ said:
God Ginrai said:
MarkoeZ said:
(Greek i suppose?)

Does Greek have accents? o_ô

Well i don't have a clue, that's why i asked ;) I thought pandora's box was Greek mythology so i assumed that is was greek, that's all.

Well, the letters look like Greek for the most part to me, it's just that seeing accents on the letters doesn't look right to me for some reason.

-God Ginrai

(IIRC, since I learned all this in high school Latin and it's been a while...) Classical Greek has accents (acute accent, circumflex, grave accent), and rough and smooth breathing marks. Modern Greek doesn't, I don't know when they disappeared or why.

Could we have a contest for people to make the coolest background? and the winner gets the background on the actual one at start up or whatever? and the best 10 get included or something?

I can't believe nobody else is a bit disappointed with the final silk screening.

The suggestions put forward by forum members, or an amalgamation of them would've looked much better. The particular version of the SD card numbers look tacky, the Wi-Fi icon was not the best one and the microphone looks way out of place. That BT logo is horrible, I don't know whether it's the font or size or what it's just bad. There's no constant design abstraction through the icons. A big shame.

Dead1nside said:
I can't believe nobody else is a bit disappointed with the final silk screening.

The suggestions put forward by forum members, or an amalgamation of them would've looked much better. The particular version of the SD card numbers look tacky, the Wi-Fi icon was not the best one and the microphone looks way out of place. That BT logo is horrible, I don't know whether it's the font or size or what it's just bad. There's no constant design abstraction through the icons. A big shame.

I am too. The designs aren't constant, the font and size of the numbers doesn't look good, the BT is just bad, the lock's details look messy, and that microphone picture could be replaced with a 'mic.' which is prevalent on mobile devices. The back has too much text. What were wrong with Kagato's designs?

Dead1nside said:

i dont like the BT text (its not a logo!!) but hey
you cant keep everyone happy, the poll of the first bach logo
ended up discarded and i still have doubts if the SS is going
to be alright for the front and hinge panel

plus depending on the inprinting method, the design may or may not work since some deliver more or less sharp looking images, some other will get issues over paint thickness in complex models.

so lets hope for the best

I like "First Batch" for some reason, but I absolutely agree it doesn't mean anything to people outside this forum...on the other hand, people outside this forum aren't in the first batch.

I thought Kagato's designs were awesome too. But I'm pleased "Two Months" didn't make it's way on there... :rolleyes:

Gary13579 said:
I highly doubt they could give away licensing to use the logo for free, then a few years later change their minds and charge you for using the Bluetooth logo many years later.
Why not? That's more or less exactly what happened with GIF, MP3, and FAT. Basically free (or at least uncontested, I was never certain in some cases) until they effectively became standards and the patent holders decided to enforce said patents and sue people over them. The specifics are a lot more involved than I'm making them out to be, but that's the gist of the argument: if you use someone else's property, they can (and in previous examples have) change any agreements it can be used under.

fischju2000 said:
Dead1nside said:

I am too. The designs aren't constant, the font and size of the numbers doesn't look good, the BT is just bad, the lock's details look messy, and that microphone picture could be replaced with a 'mic.' which is prevalent on mobile devices. The back has too much text. What were wrong with Kagato's designs?
I think they look good, the most important thing is they make sense and are clearly marked. BT kinda bugs me but for technical people this won't be a problem, only people that know blutooth by the symbol and not the name will have difficulty.

"Man, there is that light signaling that the Butt Tumor ray is on again, why the heck do we even HAVE a butt tumor ray?"

Dead1nside said:
Xian Long said:
guys. it was a joke.

I hope so... if it was it was not funny, way to give a twenty year-old a heart attack.

i guess thats why we no longer find old days fine joke tv shows.

just a bunch of boring "reallity chous"

Well, some things on the silk:
The BT logo can't be used. Yes, membership is free - but to put the logo as member onto a device, you need to pay 3000 EUR.
I couldn't find any real good replacement for it. There was one nice looking similar to the BT one at the thread, but that was TOO similar... this could also end up somebody sueing us.

The First Batch text is there (and no box with a 1 or whatever), since it won the poll. Even Craig and Michael voted for the box with the 1, however, we kept it because the Pandora is a community device and the community decided with a poll.

I have no idea why the designs shouldn't be, all letters an numbers are the same font (and we have to use a ROYALTY FREE font, we can't just use any font we like...)

second exodous said:
fischju2000 said:
Dead1nside said:

I think they look good, the most important thing is they make sense and are clearly marked. BT kinda bugs me but for technical people this won't be a problem, only people that know blutooth by the symbol and not the name will have difficulty.

You know, we never did get our "KNEAD" button, I think it should say that instead of BT.

-God Ginrai

Back