Xgp Xgpmini Spec

icurafu posted on Mar 29 2006 at 12:58 PM said:
In Australia the GB Micro was considered a total flop.

But the screen looks very nice if you have been lucky enought to see one running.

You can say that again!

Last edited by a moderator:
Dave, if you can find a way to fit a AA into that case, do it. Till then I'll stick with the Li-Ion and be happy. I think the mini looks excellent.

I have a GBmicro, and I absolutely love it. It has revived my interest in the GBA platform. But if the mini's homebrew friendly (or even GP32 backwards compatible), it will run circles around the micro (and--dare I say it--the GP2X) and could easily become my favorite handheld.

shinneri posted on Mar 29 2006 at 07:00 AM said:
Dave, if you can find a way to fit a AA into that case, do it. Till then I'll stick with the Li-Ion and be happy. I think the mini looks excellent.

I have a GBmicro, and I absolutely love it. It has revived my interest in the GBA platform. But if the mini's homebrew friendly (or even GP32 backwards compatible), it will run circles around the micro (and--dare I say it--the GP2X) and could easily become my favorite handheld.

I don't see how a handheld with a tiny hard to see 2" screen will "run circles around" the GP2X with the much larger 3.5" screen, unless you like headaches.

Metal-Geo posted on Mar 29 2006 at 04:17 PM said:
Might as well complain about cell phones. :/

You might as well. Cellphones are not thought of as ideal gaming devices either ;)

DaveC posted on Mar 29 2006 at 05:33 PM said:
Metal-Geo posted on Mar 29 2006 at 04:17 PM said:
Might as well complain about cell phones. :/

You might as well. Cellphones are not thought of as ideal gaming devices either ;)
Yeah, but they are the hots for teenagers. ;) And if you know teenagers, they love staring at a screen for a long time. Like those movie/tv services for your mobile. lol

XGPmini CAN become better than the GP2X because:

1. XGPmini has many attractive features
2. GP2X has many unattractive bugs

Seriously, I would rather buy a handheld with a 2 inch screen rather than one that comes with a broken joystick (and no, I wouldn't spend $10 to fix something that should already function well).

JaqMs posted on Mar 29 2006 at 05:49 PM said:
XGPmini CAN become better than the GP2X because:

1. XGPmini has many attractive features
2. GP2X has many unattractive bugs

Seriously, I would rather buy a handheld with a 2 inch screen rather than one that comes with a broken joystick (and no, I wouldn't spend $10 to fix something that should already function well).

It may be better for you, but I hate small screens, sorry. It may be better for you but it sucks for anyone that wants to play on something with a decent sized screen. It also looks very uncomfortable to play as it is hand cramping tiny. I guess it is ok if you have little girly hands.

:lol: ... girly hands ...

But seriously, the small screen is a huge turn-off for me, even if it had an 800mhz Intel CPU behind it ;)

The DS is about as small as I can stand without getting a headache.

Ravnos posted on Mar 29 2006 at 09:33 PM said:
And what makes you so sure that the XGP won't have a shit-ton of bugs? Was the GP32 perfect and bug-free on launch?
nearly, yes.
But there wasnt any software wich could have bugs, well there was, but its minimal.
GpOs realy isnt anything wich could be called a os, its just a very basic launcher and gives the bare hardware to the aps.

DaveC, your arguments only imply to those that love perfect emulation. There is more that can be done on handhelds besides that. Therefore, most that think the small screen is bad are saying that because their emulators won't be perfect.

I enjoy to use my gp2x for video playback and I have to say a 2in screen is not quite big enough for me, heck I think the 3.5in is a little small for that.

I do have to say that for a small company that won't produce these batteries forever AA is the way to go, but with companies like Nintendo and Sony I prefer the small powerfull Li-on.

I do think the mini would be fun but it has a crippled d-pad ;p, yeah its one of those sony d-pads. Yucky.

JaqMs posted on Mar 29 2006 at 11:47 PM said:
DaveC, your arguments only imply to those that love perfect emulation. There is more that can be done on handhelds besides that. Therefore, most that think the small screen is bad are saying that because their emulators won't be perfect.

Yea, im sure the mini would make an awesome text reader :p.

iignotus posted on Mar 21 2006 at 09:58 PM said:
JaqMs posted on Mar 21 2006 at 04:42 PM said:
Stop using emulators as a basis of how a handheld should be and if it is good or not.
What else is going to drive the XGP? Games from Square, Konami, EA, or Nintendo? :lol:

lol..
all those companies have been supporting GP(H) they probably don't like how it is done, with the emulation scene :p

As for emulation on handhelds I still use my GP32 mainly, after all it had less issues with battery life then my GP2X. I mainly play TG-16/PC-Engine Games and Atari ST games (and I have the keyboard for my GP32), and both run just fine on the GP32. My GP2X Comes out for SNES Emulation only. The true gaming experiance IMHO started to fade with the SNES. I mean I prefer good old games with replayability not "Eye Candy".

Plus there are a more homebrew games I loved to play like perfect fit, not a much on the GP2X. So if something comes out supporting GP32 software I'd grab that in a heart beat.

And Yes I'll jump on the DaveC bandwagon here, the GBMicro and XGP Mini Screens are to small for my liking after all how the heck could you play Legendary Wings(MAME), Gain Ground(GEN), on a 2" screen ,3.5" is bad enough. After all if you don't mind a small screen go buy a N-Gage :p And yes rember smaller is better *sighs* after all how many I-Pods were sold even ones for movies ans yes the screen on those is to small to watch a full length film.

I love my GP32 FLU(over clocks to 180 mhz) and GP32 BLU+(over clocks to 154mhz), my GP2X is a paper weight usually. As for the batteries, can I say I love my Rayovac 15min rechargables I have 24 of them and that was before I purchased my GP32. I don't like Li-on's even thou some battery companies can refill the chemicals the life just isn't the same usually!

I just wish they would bring out a GP64 or something wich uses a similar format, is some what backwards compatable. maybe a GXP Mini with a Mod wich uses a GP2X screen?

Yea, im sure the mini would make an awesome text reader .
Agreed here The Spider Mastermind

see i wish that the xgp mini could do n64. it would be hella sweet if somebody could make a emulator for the gp2x and then xgp mini that had a frame skip of like 25 or wutever needed lol.

Draken posted on Mar 31 2006 at 11:44 AM said:
Yeah, almost as cool as a 60fps xbox emulator...
Excuse me, an Xbox 360 emulator would be much cooler. DUHHH :angry:

_me_ posted on Mar 31 2006 at 02:12 AM said:
As for the batteries, can I say I love my Rayovac 15min rechargables I have 24 of them and that was before I purchased my GP32.
That's a lot of rechargeables... How many weeks can you go on one load?

- Alex

Back