Xgp Exposure

iignotus posted on Mar 6 2006 at 08:40 PM said:
nickspoon posted on Mar 6 2006 at 03:09 PM said:
iignotus posted on Mar 4 2006 at 06:01 PM said:
nickspoon posted on Mar 4 2006 at 07:14 AM said:
What happened to you having to buy an SD card???
I don't have to buy any. I have many laying around. It makes it all very convenient :)
Fine then... why not buy an inexpensive, small, SD card MP3 player? I know where I can get one for £20, but you could get one for £30 that'd probably be better than the XGP Mini for MP3 playing (battery life etc.)
REALLY!?! Ooo I'm interested... give me the link!
Well, one is available from Argos for £20 with 256MB built-in. No song info though, but there are some SD ones with a screen that displays that for much cheaper than the XGP Mini.

Here!

Last edited by a moderator:
nickspoon posted on Mar 6 2006 at 03:47 PM said:
I don't have to buy any. I have many laying around. It makes it all very convenient :)
Fine then... why not buy an inexpensive, small, SD card MP3 player? I know where I can get one for £20, but you could get one for £30 that'd probably be better than the XGP Mini for MP3 playing (battery life etc.)
Well, one is available from Argos for £20 with 256MB built-in. No song info though, but there are some SD ones with a screen that displays that for much cheaper than the XGP Mini.

Here!
I don't see SD card support on that mate... am I losing my eyesight?

iignotus posted on Mar 6 2006 at 09:25 PM said:
nickspoon posted on Mar 6 2006 at 03:47 PM said:

Here!
I don't see SD card support on that mate... am I losing my eyesight?
Yes you are. The title of the page I linked you to is "Shop for Alba 256MB MP3 Player with SD Slot. at Argos.co.uk:"

EDIT: And the slot is on top, iirc.

I would also buy an SD-Player for 30 €, the little problem is that it simply never supports .ogg, so I will stick to my gp2x (buying it after refunding my iRiver R.I.P. they make good devices)

racoon posted on Mar 6 2006 at 05:10 PM said:
I would also buy an SD-Player for 30 €, the little problem is that it simply never supports .ogg, so I will stick to my gp2x (buying it after refunding my iRiver R.I.P. they make good devices)
Yes... 80% of my music is encoded in ogg vorbis. I need any player I buy for more than $30 to support ogg.

ooooooo this is tempting, I like the look of the Mini, but I already have a 2x, ds and Micro.......I think the hubby may divorce me!!!!!!!

:lol:

Thunderchild posted on Mar 7 2006 at 02:25 PM said:
ooooooo this is tempting, I like the look of the Mini, but I already have a 2x, ds and Micro.......I think the hubby may divorce me!!!!!!!

:lol:
You need to buy it for him... ;)

I wonder if they'll be stupid enough to use a diagonal bias unit.....seems a general trend!

I'm reserving judgment on the XGP... the new look is rather cool (if a little too like a cross between a Gizmondo and an nGage for my tastes), but, well, I just don't think this baby'll fly, at least as far as large-scale homebrew is concerned. Some, of course, it'll have... but I can't believe anything like what the 2x has picked up from the outset.

Of course, I would say that, having jumped on the GP2x bandwagon from the word go (and imho it's a very cool bandwagon to be on), so money tied up in it, of course. As ever, I'll be interested in seeing what happens with it, but for now, it isn't for me; I'd rather keep my money for the GP2x's successor, or, indeed, for the Ninja as and when the company properly forms this summer - assuming Mr. Mirko still hasn't given up on the idea. *That* will be a very cool device, whether or not lots of people get them...

Yeah it looks like a cross between a Giz widescreen and a PSP. Yet another 3D handheld ho hum... I don't know what it offers that the PSP doesn't though, the PSP has a bigger screen too. By the time that thing comes out the GP2X will really have alot more going on. It will take more than quake and a few stretched screened emus to get my interest.

What is the Ninja I have heard about? I know Mr Mirko from his gp32 SDK's, is her working on his own Handheld? That WOULD be cool :D.

DaveC posted on Mar 9 2006 at 04:56 AM said:
Yeah it looks like a cross between a Giz widescreen and a PSP. Yet another 3D handheld ho hum... I don't know what it offers that the PSP doesn't though, the PSP has a bigger screen too. By the time that thing comes out the GP2X will really have alot more going on. It will take more than quake and a few stretched screened emus to get my interest.

Hardware wise? XGP has more memory and it's an advantage. It might have better peripherals options as well. I doubt it will be more powerfull in 3D graphics than PSP thought. It will be decent enough but without good game titles it will flop as commercial system.

So specs are second issue - the first is software support.

Personally I would take XGP instead of PSP any day even if it's weaker. But if it will be pushed as commercial system then... I doubt it will end any different how it was with GP32.

timbobsteve posted on Mar 9 2006 at 05:36 AM said:
What is the Ninja I have heard about? I know Mr Mirko from his gp32 SDK's, is her working on his own Handheld? That WOULD be cool :D.

Mr. Mirko got annoyed with the limitations of the GP32 and decided to make a console designed from the ground up for homebrew... should have been prototyped last year but the parts he'd chosen were only available in 10k batches - much too many for a hobbyist project. Iirc, he's currently going through a redesign so it'll use off the shelf components such that, as and when he's some time, he can get stuck in properly without needing to write a business plan.

The homepage is http://ninja.gp32x.de/ there.

Tobriand posted on Mar 9 2006 at 12:50 PM said:
timbobsteve posted on Mar 9 2006 at 05:36 AM said:

Mr. Mirko got annoyed with the limitations of the GP32 and decided to make a console designed from the ground up for homebrew... should have been prototyped last year but the parts he'd chosen were only available in 10k batches - much too many for a hobbyist project. Iirc, he's currently going through a redesign so it'll use off the shelf components such that, as and when he's some time, he can get stuck in properly without needing to write a business plan.

The homepage is http://ninja.gp32x.de/ there.

It does look very good!!

Simple yet powerfull and I like simple designs. Just fast cpu and not much more and it's enough to have a great machine! The 400MHz clock for 920T would make it very speedy. I know that after some coding in the Arm assembler. Certainly it would outperform the GP2x for emus and 3D graphics however couldn't compete with MMSP2 at video playback. Still it would be fantastic machine!

edit: and there is also 533MHz version of that 920T...

Ravnos posted on Mar 9 2006 at 09:08 PM said:
I heard F-day will be ready for the Ninja's launch. Also, it will be called the Hero when it's sold in the UK for legal reasons.

So no f-day for the GP2X for a looong time then, and when it does come everyone will be hyped about the ninja? That kind of sucks :(

Back