Work To Give The Gp2x Press!

Rico posted on Dec 29 2005 at 08:38 PM said:
hey, thanks for doing the marketing where Gamepark couldn't.
Don't be too harsh on them, they are on a tight budget afterall

Last edited by a moderator:
Rayek posted on Dec 30 2005 at 02:38 AM said:
Well, peice of garbage or no, people should be informed that there's a big advancement in open-source technology, and that people actually perfer their peice of garbage to Sony's handheld.

the reason i aint got one yet is that your open-source machine is crap and not worth the £125.
perhaps they will get rid of bugs (perhaps not), but until they do, i'm one gamer who is very happy with his PSP and DS. turn them on and hey presto, they work and the batts last for hours.

Plus, if you supply the links for them, they can see what kind of information is helping people, and to what kind of community it caters to.

the retro community, thats who it caters for and guess what, put next to the PSP/DS it is a very small community.

People need to be told that software doesn't have to cost money,

and will you also tell those people that you will not get anything on it that is the equal of the best PSP/DS games?

and that hardware is better and cheaper from the little guy than from the big corporation. *Looks down and notices the hammer and sickle on his chest... literally*

tell me, at what point will you admit that the GP can't hold a candle against the PSP/DS in terms of quality?

PSP with mem card and rechargeable battery etc £179 (price i paid)
DS with Nintendogs and rechargeable battery £89 (price i paid)
GP2x with bugs and no rechargeable battery £125

at this time, to try and talk up the GP when sat next to the other 2 handhelds is not only stupid, it's a down right lie.

sorry if i sound a bit harsh, but lets not try to kid ourselves that the GP is a world beater. at least, not yet.

Wow... YOU should contact your local newspaper.

My question to you Poobik is: So what? So the GP2X shouldn't get any press at all because it caters to a smaller market than does the PSP? If we're looking at it in those terms, then The DS shouldn't be compared with the PSP. They're both at odds with their market as Sony and Nintedo always are. Plus, the DS isn't a multimedia device.

of course they are going to fix the damn bugs, theres been 4 firmware updates already and its been out for 2 months .

and i CAN turn my gp2x on, and play a game just like hey presto!

you must not be able to work out how to use the thing

I say to wait with this whole newspaper thing. The GP2x is just too full of bugs to show to the mainstream. Yes you can say "pay no attention to the glitchy firmware it will change". But when it comes down to it they WILL bash it because of the glitches no matter what you say. The GP2X getting "popular" now would do more harm than good. Why? because there will be a big flood of returns for units that don't work with usb, recognize SD cards etc. For a company like GPH that is teetering on the edge of financial collapse they can't afford all of those returns.

If you need a good example just look at what happened when that Belmont from MAME dev got a hold of one. He ripped it up and down to the point where he said the thing is so buggy he didn't even want MAME to be associated with it. And this guy is a CODER, he knows how to hack around to get things to work. Imagine what will happen when lil' Stevie that doesn't know alot about USB, Linux, Firmware, and has never even heard of a Genesis or NES gets ahold of it ;)

Comparing this to the PSP and DS is irrelavant too. They are different markets. The DS and PSP are for commercial gaming. The GP2X is for emus ( grey area) and homebrew. I don't think this device is appropriate for little Timmy that just wants to play the popular games that momma buys him for his birthday. Imagine his dissapointment when Nintendogs or Ridge racer won't work on it. It is more for the retro gamer and the linux hacker that likes to hack around with different hardware.

It would be best to let this thing cook and simmer for awhile longer. When the bugs get fixed then go for it. It is not ready for prime time yet. Judging by the rate that new firmware is released it won't be for probably 6 months.

Poobik The Hare posted on Dec 30 2005 at 05:03 AM said:
PSP with mem card and rechargeable battery etc £179 (price i paid)
DS with Nintendogs and rechargeable battery £89 (price i paid)
GP2x with bugs and no rechargeable battery £125

at this time, to try and talk up the GP when sat next to the other 2 handhelds is not only stupid, it's a down right lie.

sorry if i sound a bit harsh, but lets not try to kid ourselves that the GP is a world beater. at least, not yet.

Rechargeable battery? Go buy some NiMH rechargeables problem solved.

Talking up the GP2X compared to the others is only a lie if you are trying to compare them for the same purpose (commercial games). If you talk about emus for example it is way better than a DS. The DS screen is smaller and too low resolution to do many emulators properly. The PSP screen results in stretched out distorted emu screens that smear when things move. So again it depends on what you use it for.

I'm not expecting newspapers to tote it as the next PSP, nor am I expecting newspapers to bash it for having buggy firmware. A small mention of it on any tech page with some links is more than what I have expcted the reaction to be.

But, come on. The other thread had people emailing IGN.com and gaming magazines for coverage. To me, that's a little more risky, not only because Sony and Nintendo watch sites like that, and IF any mention of thier hardware being emulated causes legal action, it will be from there rather than a local hicksfuck newspaper from Washington, but also because it is more likely to be given bad press from the gaming media than any other. Think about it, the people in charge of the gaming media are Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft. No doubt they'll bash it.

Really, if any of you are worried about press coverage, bug those in the other forum before you worry about some Tacoma paper giving a blurb about the GP2X. And really, everyone should do the same with their local paper. It'll definitely turn less heads than knocking on Fox's front door. http://corp.ign.com/

plus: What about EDGE magazine? They tore the unit a new asshole. And they're tech news. They're more widely spread than a Tacoma newspaper. And they also target people who like gadgets. Some folks there were happy at least that the GP2X got some press, even though it was negative press. What happened to that mentality? Since when is emailing a local newspaper a greater offense than printing false information on a major magazine? Really, folks, it's not that harmful.

Rayek posted on Dec 30 2005 at 07:20 AM said:
I'm not expecting newspapers to tote it as the next PSP, nor am I expecting newspapers to bash it for having buggy firmware. A small mention of it on any tech page with some links is more than what I have expcted the reaction to be.

Yeah and when they find their way here they will look at the forum in which most topics are :

"I bricked my GP2X updating the firmware"

"My GP2X bricked itself and I wasn't even trying to update my firmware"

"My USB connection don't work"

"Howcome I get flicker and scanlines on my screen"

"The TV-out sucks"

"howcome MAME doesn't show my R0MZ"

"My headphone jack broke off"

"I have a large deadzone on my joystick and left doesn't register"

"my batteries only last an hour"

"howcome video locks up after 20 minutes"

I am sure they will rush right over to GBAX or GP32Z to order after that ;) More likely is that they will purge it from memory never to think about it again.

Like I said it is best to wait it out. The GP2X has potential. It will be great someday. As it now it is to me a beta version. Most people don't want to be beta testers of new hardware.

I get it now. Still, it would be nice to see an optimistic article, and my local newspaper is good at that. We'll just see. If it turns out fine, what then? I'll have something interesting to look at for a few days :)

But of all of those topic titles, how many have been fixed within the topic, or have fixes in other topics? I certainly hope that any curious tech journalist can find fixes to the problems. Regardless, I doubt it will make any wave, positively or negatively, bigger than contacting IGN or other widespread/international sites/magazines.

I'm still of the mind that people need to know about this. I have been convinced that the mass media isn't quite ready yet, but a sneek peek at what's to be officially released shouldn't be bad at all.

And anyway, even after the official release, who's to say that any media won't discover these threads in question anyway?

Rayek posted on Dec 30 2005 at 07:44 AM said:
And anyway, even after the official release, who's to say that any media won't discover these threads in question anyway?

Hopefully by then those things will be fixed. That is the point, show everyone when it is ready. Then because the bugs are gone when they come here the posts will be more like:

"DrMD rocks! it plays most of my Genesis games perfect"

"Just got my GP2X, It is awesome, can't believe how good video works on it"

"WOW the screen on the GP2X is so clear and sharp"

"New NES emu released, full speed with sound"

"TV out works great on this"

etc.

I am not saying that your idea is bad, just maybe the timing is not quite right.

Better forget about commercial magazines. Problem isn't in that gp2x has still many bugs in the firmware but it will never generate advertising money as the PSP (or even DS) can. No that those magazines will not make article (or two) regarding the gp2x eventually but this will be like something to crowd amusement and the gp2x being like a strange animal in a zoo.

I was active at one moment bugging different companies about supporting the gp2x. Now I'm exhausted and realized that only one thing talks - number of units sold.

If gp2x will get big numbers it will get commercial interest. Then it'll get the press. The only way around it is by pouring big bucks to the magazines for an advertising. This something the GPH isn't able for obvious reason.

So far the gp2x sold about 8000 units. This comparing to the GP32 is huge success for relatively short time on the market (and basically in "a beta form"). In the year the gp2x should twice or triple this (imho) easily. This will not warrant any substantial commercial interest yet but will be a good start for such niche machine like the gp2x.

Why would they care? They don't review the benefits of every new stereo system or computer part that comes out, why should they give a damn about a battery-sucking demon from Korea?
I love my GP2X, don't get me wrong, but who in the general public (accounting for everyone that reads the paper) would even look twice?

They don't need a reason to care. Either they will write an article or they won't. They won't do it all by themselves. However, if we tell them to write an article and supply them with all the info they need, they might write an article despite it being an obscure handheld from Korea. Why? They, like everyone else, are f*cking lazy!
Oh yeah, battery life on the GP2X is great.

I like the idea of contancting local newspapers. It's easier to make them write good stuff because they know less about it themselves. The important thing is that they are contacted the right way. Be positive, leave out the bad things or explain them away but never lie! Admitting that for the moment the GP2X is only for freaks who have experience with computers is a good thing!
A great example how it's done right is the small article the German mag [ple:] published. ED helped with the facts so it was well informed and positive.

Please use my old thread if you contact anyone: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=20655

Rayek posted on Dec 30 2005 at 07:44 AM said:
I get it now. Still, it would be nice to see an optimistic article

then supply hardware without bugs.

Okay, let me just collect some pennies together and what's left of my savings, and make a better GP2X!

Poobik, why are you here? Really, your posts aren't constructive at all.

He's obviously dissapointed. But basically his point of view is exactly what you'd get from anyone who found about about it from their local Daily News paper. You can't get a favorable response by going to Joe Average and saying "look at how cool this is" or they will respond just like Poobik. You have to take it to the types of people who would care. people who pickup retro gaming mags and hobbiest coder circles.

I agree, to an extent. An ideal mainstream article wouldn't be aiming at selling the unit, it would be informing the general masses that the 'dark side' of gaming is defninitely a possibility, and you don't have to shell out 50 dollars for a game that you didn't want to play in the first place.

The masses pay 50 dollars a game because they want to. There's more than enough ways out there for anyone to get any game they want relatively free. The "dark side" has always been there for anyone daring enough to venture into it, many people simply choose not to or turn a blind eye to it.

Rayek posted on Dec 31 2005 at 02:28 AM said:
Okay, let me just collect some pennies together and what's left of my savings, and make a better GP2X!

no need to, but don't shout from the roof tops about how great the GP is, until erm..... it is

Rayek posted on Dec 31 2005 at 02:28 AM said:
Poobik, why are you here? Really, your posts aren't constructive at all.

check the GP32 game reviews section for one

i'm as constructive as can be for a new hand held that is full of faults. but i refuse to sit back while fools like you try to make out that the GP2x is the best thing since sliced bread. if it ever gets sorted, i'll be the first in the Q to get one, until then, i'm happy with my GP32.

p.s.
have a happy new year ;)

Back