Itunes Like Program For The Gp2x A Good Idea?

Hmm. I'm gonna flat out say this. If it's been made or if it's too stupid, hard, impossible, or has already been made, sorry. But here goes: the first step in making the GP2X more user-friendly is to make a program that accesses your files, whose interface is like the Windows one (I can't really see why a mouse can't be implemented, I mean, they did it on the PSP's Internert Browser with threir analog stick, why can't we do it on our GP2X, man! Our analog stick is better, if anything), to make it easier for people who are used to the Windows OS. Secondly, the idea of a file access such as this iTunes idea that's been presented here will make downloading files 200% easier, since you'd be seeing the file transfers directly on your GP2X. Definitely a good idea, but remember: the hardest part in an idea or dream is getting the manpower to make it a reality. Good thinking though!

nubie posted on Jul 17 2006 at 06:22 PM said:
You said it perfectly, the problem is implementing it with the various authors. Or have someone go through and arbitrarily make the zip file you suggested.

Or how about if I make my installer idea, and then make different packs for everything? Seriously guys, I've got the time, and I'm up for the challenge. I just need to figure a few things out about programming first (and I can already do a little C, as evidenced by my CGC entry 'Winking Man Game').

I already know I have the ability to make a Windows-based installer, albiet using a simple language like Rapid-Q (which I wrote a program that prints jukebox title strips for 45 RPM records in), and given some time, I'm sure I could figure out how to do it on the GP2X in C/SDL.

I'm actually pretty excited about this, as it seems to be pretty much the one thing I'd be capable of doing to help out the GP2X community (even though some don't want it) and I'm determined to make the best of it! If someone else wants to do the iTunes thing, go ahead, but I will be here setting up my little installation packages, as well as a ROM image installer for each emulator.

Last edited by a moderator:
nubie posted on Jul 18 2006 at 01:04 AM said:
Dimacus posted on Jul 17 2006 at 02:46 PM said:
Well for one it's faster to have an installing moving all files to where you want them.
Secondly it looks more proffesionall to have an installer.
Third, if games/applications get more complex, requering configuration files or requers more libaries to run an installer would be ideal.

So instead of first downloading the file, then unzip it and then move it to the SD (or diretcly unzip to the SD), you could have a small pakage-info file that you open with the installer program, that does the above for you.
It could also generate a small script that would act like a shortcut so you dont need to navigate to the gpe file.

Now you don't NEED to run it if you dont want to.
And if you dont like it, well fine, but you don't need to pointout how extremly pointless and idiotic you think the idea is.
I think they call that an installer, the program should deal with that, not the OS.
Yes Exactly!
IT is an installer type idea that I have been trying to convey.
And as far as I know, I have never said anything about implementing it within the OS of either the Gp2x or the users computer.

Maybe the problem is education for the people, a glossy, picture-laden "quick-start" guide included with every GP2X would help immensely. It is a portable Computer, not a Gameboy.
Yes I agree, a quick-start guid of sorts would help immensely, and it would make new users feel more, err "welcomed" to the console.

Im sorry if you thought I specificly was thinking of some kind of ITunes program, I have never tought mutch about that program, and didn't reallt notice that the OP made any special connections to it. I tought he used it to just make ppl get how he tought the interface could be done.

If you have ever used devpack (dev-cpp package files for easy installation of new libaries) then you know how I belive an installer could work. Except I belive that you should also be able to open installation scripts, that could basicly contain an information string and an url that the installer reads and a simple script that tells the installer what to put where.

I can also see Epicenters idea working.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back