Contacting The Press...

OrR

Corporate games suck.
Website
grvoid.com
The best and cheapest advertisement for the GP2X would simply be a lot of press. The press does not necessarily care about the GP2X all by itself, though. We have to tell them that it exists and that they should write about it. I'll try to maintain a list of press sites in this thread that have been contacted or have written about the GP2X by itself. If you like a site that has not yet been contacted, don't hesitate to do so and post about it here. Include the name of the press site, the address and the email you contacted.
If a press site writes about the GP2X it is added/moved to the second list. Here all press sites should be listed that have written about the GP2X and it should also be noted if they write a little or a lot. Post if you know a website that has already written about the GP2X and is not listed as writing, yet. Note that these sites have to be contacted if there is something newsworthy and if they do not write about it themselves. They should not be spammed, though. It would be best if someone could be our press contact and send news to a list of all GP2X friendly press sites. If someone intelligent and trustworthy is up for the job, please tell me. Else I'd have to do this.
Oh yeah, I'll add lists for print magazines, too.

Example email (this is what I sent to IGN and Gamespot):
Subject: New handheld: GP2X

I haven't seen a news item about the GP2X on XY, yet. Why not?
This handheld should be taken serious considering it's the heir of the
strong GP32 community.
Official: www.gpx2.com
Community: gp32x.de
Distributors: gp2x.co.uk , gp32z.com

Ortwin Regel

The List:
Format: Name, website , contact email , status

Contacted:
Color code:
red - not interested at all
orange - not interested, yet

Contacted websites
IGN, www.ign.com , wire@ign.com
Gamespot, www.gamespot.com , info@gamespot.com
Gamereactor, www.gamereactor.se , ? , positive response
Superplay, www.superplay.se , ?
Consol.Fusion, www.consol.at , ?
Der Spiegel, www.derspiegel.de , ?
C't, www.heise.de/ct , ?

Contacted print magazines
Mail on Sunday, http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/ , rwaugh@mailonsunday.co.uk
Computer & Video Games Magazine (UK), ? , ? , declined
PC Gamer (Swedish), ? , ?
AllaMedia, ? , ?
Datormagazin, ? , ? ,positive response, they might try to get hold of a unit for review
Mikrodatorn, ? , ?
Pc hemma, ? , ?

Writing:
Color code:
blue - writing a little
green - writing a lot

Writing websites
Game Freaks 365, www.gamefreaks365.com , ortwin@gmail.com , constant coverage
Insert Credit, www.insertcredit.com , brandon@insertcredit.com , reported naming contest
Gaming Headlines, www.gamingheadlines.co.uk , ? , constant coverage
Slashdot, www.slashdot.com , - , one news item
Boingboing, www.boingboing.net/ , - , news items
Der Standard, www.derstandard.at , - , one news item
Consolevania, www.consolevania.com , ?

Writing print magazines
Mobile Gamer (German), - , webmaster@maniac.de , one news article
Micro Mart (UK), ? , ? , one big article
[ple:] (German), www.play-magazin.de , info@play-magazin.de , one news item

Last edited by a moderator:
Contact them! I don't want to do all this stuff myself... Let's split the work. Don't forget to check if they have already written about it. (Google site search is your friend...)

@davey g: Domain, email contact, how much did they write? (Maybe links to everything you can find?)
Please try to submit all this data when making an addition, it's not much work for you and then it does not all accumulate on my shoulders.

@wraggster: Sounds good. Is it too much trouble for you to add the data to the list?

The mainstream press won't care. They might do an article here and there, but without ad dollars in the wings (and I doubt GPH has much of an ad budget if any) most sites and magazines will ignore the GPX2.

Don't get me wrong, contact them and give it a try. But from my past experience with the Zodiac, they probably already know about the GP2X but won't commit any real resources toward promoting it. Especially if it doesn't get any notable commercial games. Nobody makes money off emus and homebrew, and the mainstream press goes where the money is. Just a fact.

Contacting those various "retro" game magazines is a good idea though. I know Craig has ads in some British retro magazines for example, so that's good. GP2X will appeal most to that crowd of people IMO.

Prophet posted on Sep 16 2005 at 10:06 PM said:
The mainstream press won't care. They might do an article here and there, but without ad dollars in the wings (and I doubt GPH has much of an ad budget if any) most sites and magazines will ignore the GPX2.

Don't get me wrong, contact them and give it a try. But from my past experience with the Zodiac, they probably already know about the GP2X but won't commit any real resources toward promoting it. Especially if it doesn't get any notable commercial games. Nobody makes money off emus and homebrew, and the mainstream press goes where the money is. Just a fact.

Contacting those various "retro" game magazines is a good idea though. I know Craig has ads in some British retro magazines for example, so that's good. GP2X will appeal most to that crowd of people IMO.
Don't give up before you tried... ;) IGN and Gamespot at least have to post a news item about it. Getting them to add a GP2X section won't be possible before the thing has sold 250.000 devices and at least 10 big license games but it should still be our goal. (Both, the sections at IGN and Gamespot AND the 250.000 sold units... :p )
Other press sites should be easier to convince and often print magazines are suprisingly easy. Look at Mobile Gamer, they wrote something all by themselves! :eek: It might even be possible to convince printmags to do game reviews (if the GP2X gets enough quality commercial games).

@rabbits with hats: Email address? Website?

OrR posted on Sep 16 2005 at 07:56 PM said:
@davey g: Domain, email contact, how much did they write? (Maybe links to everything you can find?)
Please try to submit all this data when making an addition, it's not much work for you and then it does not all accumulate on my shoulders.

www.insertcredit.com
brandon[AT]insertcredit.com

The site's mostly about the forums though, most discussion goes on in there but they did report about the naming competition. There's a contact page on the site with other contacts but Brandon Sheffield was the one who reported and wrote on the naming contest as well as writing reviews for most of the commercial GP32 games.

Prophet posted on Sep 16 2005 at 08:06 PM said:

I remember comming across an article on IGN about the GP32 years back.

They basically said something to the effect: "Small Korean company has a new handheld (specs followed)." But we doubt a system based on illegal emulators and a few Korean language only games will last too long"

It must have been out for awhile when they "reviewed" it as when it first came out it was closed and had no emus.

It was on the GBA section. I too said "bah the GBA will kill it, they have no chance".

I'd hazard most sites that knew about the GP32 know about it and have either wrote something already or wont be doing so at all. Other sites may not want to cover it if the Emulation properties are too highly mentioned... for obvious reasons.

Alpha2 posted on Sep 16 2005 at 11:43 PM said:
I'd hazard most sites that knew about the GP32 know about it and have either wrote something already or wont be doing so at all. Other sites may not want to cover it if the Emulation properties are too highly mentioned... for obvious reasons.

Probably a good thing if they are not mentioned. You don't want big bad Nintendo to get wind of it. If I were GPH I would take the reference to SNES off of their site too.

Alpha2 posted on Sep 17 2005 at 01:43 AM said:
Don't draw any conclusions before you have tried. Most press site do not not talk about things because they don't want to, they don't talk about them because they don't know them!
I also think we shouldn't talk too much about emulators but rather about independent games. Would be easier if we knew about any titles but I guess we'll have to wait a little longer.

iignotus posted on Sep 16 2005 at 11:53 PM said:
Well, commercially, the GBA did kill it. But that doesn't stop it from living on in our hearts :D

*salute*
It didn't kill it, it outperformed it. It's not the same thing...

If Gamepark had gone bankrupt (like SNK), THEN you could've said that the GBA killed it. Anyway, they're for different target groups (with some overlap).

emailed the ed at computer & video Games Mag (C&VG) in the UK, but he declined to include it!

Foolish Man

Back