Basic Standards

InsertCoin

Still Fresh
Is there already a document listing the standards for GP2X development, specifically homebrew games?
I was looking over GP2XTRA magazine, and thought it would make a good article.

A set of recommendations to make the experience of using the GP2X as free from quirks and frustration as possible, and to make it as attractive as possible.
Little things like using a start menu to exit a game rather than having to press a combination, or not using the volume keys as fire buttons when its not essential to do so.

I'll dig out my Yaroze rules, I'm sure there are plenty of ideas we could get there.

^_^

edit: I just realise the title looks like ive done it already...sorry, I'll get to work right away. :D

InsertCoin posted on Aug 14 2006 at 09:01 PM said:
Is there already a document listing the standards for GP2X development, specifically homebrew games?
I was looking over GP2XTRA magazine, and thought it would make a good article.

A set of recommendations to make the experience of using the GP2X as free from quirks and frustration as possible, and to make it as attractive as possible.
Little things like using a start menu to exit a game rather than having to press a combination, or not using the volume keys as fire buttons when its not essential to do so.

I'll dig out my Yaroze rules, I'm sure there are plenty of ideas we could get there.

^_^

edit: I just realise the title looks like ive done it already...sorry, I'll get to work right away. :D

excellent idea, everytime i turn around a new quit button combination is released so it'd be good for sure

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea, and burn whoever doesn't conform with your ideal button combinations!

- Alex

Yono posted on Aug 14 2006 at 09:40 PM said:
Alex. posted on Aug 14 2006 at 10:07 PM said:
Yea, and burn whoever doesn't conform with your ideal button combinations!

- Alex
Burn, or flame? ;)

Both!

All Hail Conformity !
:D

Theres already conformance recommendations on the wiki. Some authors are unaware of them though.

As an open source device its really up to the authors, but I do think a standard, or conformance to the standards on the wiki are a good idea.

Unfortunately some emulators need more buttons- or the same buttons recommended on the wiki are coopted for vital functions.

It is still within the bounds of emus/homebrew that allow button mapping (sadly missing from most emus at present) to reconfigure to a set standard.

I'm on board! ;)

This whole 'hit start to close the program' but is fucking with my head a good bit. The GP2X feels just like my old black Japanese GBA; and start .. well, started games or paused them! Now, I keep hitting it to invoke something and instead the program closes! It's become second-nature to me, like Ctrl+C/V, Alt-Tab... it's hard to UNlearn after all these years! After all, I used Start for that function back to when I was barely able to walk and playing NES games. :p

I like the idea, personally, and I've always stuck with the PSX configuration in games. It also makes sense with a key setup like the gp2x's. Y for menu/options, X for continue/accept/advance, A for the main function, and B for the secondary function/run/repeat-button. Many PSX/PS2 games adhere to that style, especially older ones.

The start button is not a good choice to bring up the menu, so many emulated consoles had a start button.
And I think if we try and make a standard exit code, people will keep saying that game xyz needs that combination, and we'll end up with an exit code that means pressing nearly all the buttons. :eek:

I agree with epicenter that one button exits are evil too, I'd prefer to bring up a menu to quit instead of accidently brushing the wrong button. :p

This may be a stupid idea....... but after Ryos excellent work on Gmenu2x, I wonder if there was a way of exiting programs via Gmenu2x? I mean could Gmenu2x force emulators etc to close? That way you would have only one standard input (configureable?) to remember in order to exit applications.

I tend to just use the same controls for exiting and entering options (barring the start button) as the default GP2X firmware.

The only problem with allowing gmenu2x, or others, to close programs is that gmenu2x has to be kept running. Plus that escape code may be vital when playing some game.

i like the old "press in the joystick then hit both shoulder buttons"

reminds me of the old 3-finger-deathgrip on my trusty A500.

nostalgia ftw!

deepmenace posted on Aug 15 2006 at 12:52 PM said:
i like the old "press in the joystick then hit both shoulder buttons"

reminds me of the old 3-finger-deathgrip on my trusty A500.

nostalgia ftw!

LOL! I remember that...

Sorry, I have to hold my hand up and admit that I used 'Start' to exit back to the menu in my GP2X Invaders preview. I will make it conform to whatever is decided as the standard.

I think the Jostick button should be used as little as possible, as it seems to run down the joystick (pure speculation from me) and people with d-pad mods (in the future) will have difficulties to use it.

L + R is the best method of bringing up a menu. I can't think of any game that'd use a combination like that other than a fighter (in that case, make it hold down for 1 or 2 seconds).

Alvin posted on Aug 15 2006 at 01:23 PM said:
L + R is the best method of bringing up a menu. I can't think of any game that'd use a combination like that other than a fighter (in that case, make it hold down for 1 or 2 seconds).

I like this idea as well, but it might be frustrating holding down for 1 or 2 seconds while you are loosing the game, just to get back to a menu... I think it's difficult to standardise for so many different game types.

That's what I use to access my developer menus in my apps but it seems a bit odd for players. If you ask me, start should bring up a menu and just offer the ability to go to options or to quit in most apps. At least hitting start erroneously would give you a chance to back out of it and not just quit immediately when you meant to begin a game or something.

Back