With full steam into the new year!

Maybe I sound sounded a bit rude, wasn't my intention. Everybody here feels frustrated not having it yet, even myself as a pre-preorderer.

But we must understand that everything possible has been done. Shit happened (rotator chip, touchscreen, GPU drivers, CPU frequency ...), and it has been managed quite good from point of view. I simply feel I don't have any reason to complain about.

So I better postpone updating this test system to the time when Pyra is finished and Squeeze is official.
Stretch? Squeeze is very old ;)
Then, there is time to switch to systemd and learn how to configure it for testing purposes (e.g. root ssh w/o password, ethernet gadget communication on USB, automounts etc.) for the next project.
Another option would be to rebase on Devuan, wo are working on a Debian overlay that replaces all packages that hard depend on systemd with versions that don't. They also provide armel and armhf binaries. Moving from Debian jessie to Devuan jessie is quite easy.

Unfortunately, given all the developer manpower behind systemd, it'll probably be better to build all the Pyra-specific services on that infrastructure in the end.

Last edited:
Of course we would all like to have had a Pyra in our hands earlier rather than later. That is only human.

There are no intentional delays. The development cycle is what it is. We want the device done right. We wait.

Recent progress has been very promising. So many of the unknowns have been solidified. Screen, touch layer, case lid, case lid LEDs, lid circuit board, hinge, screen cable, keyboard & ports board, keyboard backlight leds, each port on the back, mount depth of SD card slots, headphone jack working with multiple headset wiring types, keyboard height, keyboard press resistance, keyboard translucence, keyboard layout, speaker cavity size, speaker sealing, battery, battery alignment to system power connectors, SoC board (could be a novel on that one alone), case tweaks, stylus holder tweaks... I'm sure the detail list can go a lot longer than I'm going to recall easily in creating this email.

With a team size that can be counted on one hand and often times conflicting community input, I think they're doing very well.

@hns:
Ok, I got your jessie-8.7-lxde rootfs running on top of my installed Stretch kernel (not in a chroot).

I see you're calling startx via /etc/inittab. If I do that, then installing systemd, systemd-shim and policykit-1 won't help to get rid of the original "No session for pid" message.
This is also reproducible in my amd64 VM. When I set that one up I started LXDE via nodm [1] and the message doesn't come up. The same helps in your rootfs.
I'm not sure though if this solution is desirable, since it adds a kind of black box with a display manager doing it's "magic".

What is your udev problem about? I didn't see any dependency problems. The only thing udev-related that I can see are a lot of messages in various logs that look essentially like this:
Code:
random: udevadm: uninitialized urandom read (16 bytes read)
This however is considered "normal" and wontfix, because Systemd starts reading from /dev/urandom before the device is ready and doesn't think it's doing anything wrong. [2]

[1] https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=nodm&searchon=names&exact=1&suite=all&section=all
[2] https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/4167

I don't know about you, but I've seen The Fly. I'd rather wait until it's good and ready...

OoPyraFace.png

Stretch? Squeeze is very old
Well it's not what it's going to ship with, plus i think he said he only uses it to generate bootstraps...

We've had a viable jessie image forever and aTc will have testing/stretch image ready in the near future.

zmatt has been playing with his own stretch image on the OMAP5 for a while now.

Honestly, this waiting sucks but is understandable.

I hope that these prototypes go out to devs/others asap and there will be lots of videos. That would sweeten the wait a lot. :)

between following the pyra and the pandora im use to the waiting. atleast this time around we are getting info and were almost there. also im going to bid on a auction offed pyra to work on and also show it off to my friend to get them to order.

I don't want to need solder micro stuff on the Pyra, have drivers issue, keyboard issues, heat issues, bios issues, BSOD issues... You know about what I am talking about ;).

between following the pyra and the pandora im use to the waiting. atleast this time around we are getting info and were almost there. also im going to bid on a auction offed pyra to work on and also show it off to my friend to get them to order.
We would appreciate you posting how things are going with it if you win. They wouldn't need to be long, "I jumped on it and the screen didn't break" is enough.

We would appreciate you posting how things are going with it if you win. They wouldn't need to be long, "I jumped on it and the screen didn't break" is enough.

So - I just got my new $1700 Pyra prototype that has never even been turned on. Will it blend?

Back