Wireless Charging for Pyra? (in addition to charging via cable)

Would you like Pyra to be capable of wireless charging? (in addition to charging via cable)

• Yes, as a standard feature

Votes: 17 25.8%
  • Yes, as an optional extra

Votes: 20 30.3%
  • No

Votes: 29 43.9%

• Total voters

What would be cool is that if I lay in bed playing with my PYRA and the wireless charger nearby my bed will wirelessly charge my PYRA... ;)

But then I guess my brains will get charged up as well :)

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as I know, there isn't any "true" wireless chargers for customers.

I think this poll is a bit confusing: I don't see why at this scale, anyone would make different models just for a feature like this. So I don't think it's realistic that this will be available "as an optional extra": either the device can do it, or it can't. Or is the poll asking about whether or not to include a wireless charging station by default or not?

Anyway, if it can be done cheaply and without adding significant weight/size to the device, why not. As long as I still get wired charging, because I assume that that will still be faster and more efficient (even if the difference is not that big, sometimes I have just 15 minutes to put some extra juice in the battery before leaving so any difference can make a difference).

Or is the poll asking about whether or not to include a wireless charging station by default or not?
+ if you want wireless charging you have to buy a QI sticker from ED and apply it yourself, that's how I read it anyway.

there should be a battery extension module. you could add extra terminals to the battery and add an optional (yet standard) add on to the battery that you can just plug into the battery itself. however the device needs to replace the backsnap battery holder so your going to  have to make an modification to the extension module so it can replace the back of it to snap in and stay in.

~B. Solutions Ltd.

I think this poll is a bit confusing: I don't see why at this scale, anyone would make different models just for a feature like this. So I don't think it's realistic that this will be available "as an optional extra": either the device can do it, or it can't. Or is the poll asking about whether or not to include a wireless charging station by default or not?
Have a look at what is required to add QI charging to a device that does not support it out of the box here.

Depending on tolerances there would be no need for a different model. For it to be an optional extra an induction 'sticker' that was compatible with the Pyra battery would have to be sourced / produced and offered for sale by Dragonbox.

If the Pyra was built to be compatible with wireless charging it would make sense for Dragonbox to also stock charging stations.

I acutally registered to this forum, just so that I could place a request for this feature.  I wanted to point out that having the capability to charge wirelessly is really awesome in a way you might not have thought of.  I currently own a galaxy nexus, and unfortunately, I've dropped my phone more than once.  Even more unfortunate is the situation where the phone is dropped while plugged in and lands on the connector/charging cable.  This effectively screws up not only the microusb cable but, also has damaged the female micro usb connector on my phone to the degree that I can't move the phone at all or else it will stop charging.

Basically, what I would like to point out is, if you include wireless charging by default, or as an option.  People who preferentially use this method to charge their pyra would be less likely to drop it in a manner which would damage the charging connnector.  Furthermore, a person who doesn't actively use wireless charging, could fall back to using it if their charging connector got inadvertantly damaged... like the one on my phone.  I just keep wishing that I actually had a nexus 4 instead, because if I had that newer phone instead, I wouldn't really have much of an issue right now.

I would love it as an option, even just a diy option, being able to put tech down on my desk (with wireless charging pads stuck under it) and it to be fully charged next day is something I didnt think I would use but love on my Nokia Lumia 920.

I had no idea it is so cheap; sounds good to me! I think it is one of them that doesn't feel like *that* much of a big deal, but if we had it, and it worked, I feel a lot of people would end up using it as their default charging method. Certainly reducing wear and tear on charging ports is welcomed (we've probably all experienced devices where the charging port requires the cable to be pushed at a certain angle at some point!).

The only place to put it is on the battery lid, meaning the battery lid would need two connectors to the mainboard. Or am I wrong?

So what is the benefit of wireless charging outside the minor convenience of just placing it on a surface vs the few seconds it takes to just plug it in?

So what is the benefit of wireless charging outside the minor convenience of just placing it on a surface vs the few seconds it takes to just plug it in?
Well its a few seconds every day which can add up to minutes. :eek:  Its also really convient in a few years I expect to see wireless charging tables and such in coffee shops. Although no doubt the standards will have changed by then.

Also less wear and tear on the ports.

You don't damage the cable/connector when you knock your Pyra off your desk.

Personally, I'm not in the habit of knocking expensive equipment off desks.

Uhmm, wouldn't this "sticker" thing throw off completely the battery gauge chip?  Adds some current which is not accounted for in the calculation the chip does.

Crazy idea: Adding Qi base station to Pyra so that it could charge other devices. B) It could be charging your phone (or other Qi compatible device) while it's in your pocket or bag. :D

The only place to put it is on the battery lid, meaning the battery lid would need two connectors to the mainboard. Or am I wrong?
I also had this idea, would fit pretty nice there with some engineering. Battery lid contains the spool'n stuff and has connectors to the pcb/battery. At least it is not impossible to do that and it's even an easy to replace part of the Case. In theory, the Pyra could include all needed connectors and parts except the actual charging stuff in the battery lid (and the special charger) so the device can still be updated to wireless charging by only replacing the lid and the charger. :)

Uhmm, wouldn't this "sticker" thing throw off completely the battery gauge chip? Adds some current which is not accounted for in the calculation the chip does.
Isn't the battery gauge chip in the battery itself?

The pandora already deals with multiple possible power supplies, so why should this be any more of a problem?

Uhmm, wouldn't this "sticker" thing throw off completely the battery gauge chip? Adds some current which is not accounted for in the calculation the chip does.
Isn't the battery gauge chip in the battery itself?

The pandora already deals with multiple possible power supplies, so why should this be any more of a problem?
From what I understand the battery includes a protection circuit only, which cuts off power draw if charge becomes critically low.

IIRC, on Pandora there's a battery gauge chip (BQ chip) in the PCB which measures current in/out and voltage on battery. There's also a battery charger chip (TWL chip) which takes care of routing power from different sources to the battery.

Back