Charge options to combat range anxiety and avoid shipping Ac/dc usb charger

For me it's important that it can run while it gets power from an external source without heat development.

Else it'll get to hot when in the docking station.
I see two main sources of heat - the CPU/SoC/memory/WiFi/Etc electronic components and the battery.

Batteries let off heat when charging and discharging - funny that way I guess.

The heat from the electronic components + battery changing it's charge state - if you put it in a 'docking station', where do you intend that heat to go?  It has to go somewhere - normally it would need to dissipate through the shell of the device and likely into your hands (human circulation = liquid cooling).

In a dock though - hmm..  Don't know - solid (case) to stagnant gas (air) is not nearly as efficient at moving heat as solid (case) to moving liquid (human).  Maybe the dock would need an aluminum plate base for the Pyra to sit on with fins/radiators on the sides for the heat to dissipate into the air?

I could see the potential for a Pyra getting 'hotter' running the same task in a docking station than it does doing the same task in a person's hands.

So - what did you have in mind for the dock?

Not sure about the BS 1363 plug in that picture. Doesn't look like it has the standard 9.5mm spacing between the live/neutral pins and the edge of the plug body. Earth pin looks a little thin too.

BS1363PlugSpec.png

Having two USB A sockets on the adaptor is a good idea - but check it actually can provide 3.4A without huge voltage dropouts. Also, get a competant EE to rip it open and check there aren't any design horrors (e.g 0.5mm creepage between mains live and USB GND, or simailar)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back