Wireless Charging for Pyra? (in addition to charging via cable)

Would you like Pyra to be capable of wireless charging? (in addition to charging via cable)

• Yes, as a standard feature

Votes: 17 25.8%
  • Yes, as an optional extra

Votes: 20 30.3%
  • No

Votes: 29 43.9%

• Total voters

Third pin is a thermistor afaik
Yup:

pand-batt-connector.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I own a Nexus 4 and have never used its wireless charging capability. I think it will be an interesting feature when wireless charging coffee tables become popular, but I have yet to see one in Madrid (Spain).

Anyway, AFAIK the technology is really cheap to include on devices, so... why not?

Cheap is not free though.

It's also really cheap to include after production, with a little bit of forethought that wouldn't otherwise cost *anything*. Don't really need to spend the extra money on the receiver right now, just make sure it's possible to connect one to the board in a convenient spot.

Cheap is not free though.

It's also really cheap to include after production, with a little bit of forethought that wouldn't otherwise cost *anything*. Don't really need to spend the extra money on the receiver right now, just make sure it's possible to connect one to the board in a convenient spot.
Well, it would cost some additional wages for the case designer, but not much, I assume. And nothing per unit, only for the design.

Unfortunately ED only has a shoestring budget for development, something even as "small" as this addition most likely can't be considered this time around.

Additionally, I don't really want to support wireless charging as it's such an energy waste right now.

Additionally, I don't really want to support wireless charging as it's such an energy waste right now.
Maybe, but if there is a standard for it, it may solve the issue with the gazillion different Power adapters some day, not to mention the cable-salad.  At least the industry starts to slightly standardize their wall-plug adapters for mobile devices, a step into the right direction.

However, wireless charging sounds also interesting, maybe the Pyra could have at least some additional soldering points for this or an extended connector to the Battery lid where some day a wireless charging hardware could be added into the actual battery cover? ^^

Since the surface is a flat surface one could attach a spool of copper there and connect that to the usb at the back, possibly route it in through the snap in-s in the battery cover. All as an aftermarket option.

1-300x248.jpg

This is the basic idea of inductive charging.

Edit: 15 dolares says you can charge wirelessly, bar some mods.

http://www.element14.com/community/groups/wireless-power-solution or  http://www.ti.com/lsds/ti/power-management/wireless-power-receiver-solutions-overview.page seems to be the right place to start though.

Back