Wireless Charging for Pyra? (in addition to charging via cable)

Would you like Pyra to be capable of wireless charging? (in addition to charging via cable)

• Yes, as a standard feature

Votes: 17 25.8%
  • Yes, as an optional extra

Votes: 20 30.3%
  • No

Votes: 29 43.9%

• Total voters

Mr_Loon

Can't Remember
After having used QI wireless charging with my Nexus 5 I'd love to see this feature included for Pyra.

From what I can see there are a couple of options if wireless charging was to be included. Either the induction coil could be built in as a standard feature, or made available as an optional extra as per here.

It's understood that there are competing standards for wireless charging but from what I can tell QI is the most widely adopted standard at this moment in time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are there any patent/usage/implementation fees that have to be paid either annual or per device ?

I don't see the point wasting enegy, just because someone is too lazy to plug in a cable... + you can't use your device for the time beeing. The recharging circle is easily disrupted.

Why are you assuming it's an either/or?

An induction charger is paper thin and costs just a few dollars at most. It would be extremely easy and cheap to put one in the battery cover and connect it to the existing barrel connector (or there-abouts). Even optional, ED can just get them as stickers which people can choose to have in their case or not.

And they aren't that inefficient, 20% losses are okay when talking about <10W or so.

Why are you assuming it's an either/or?
I'd like to see QI charging included by default, however if the majority of potential customers did not want wireless charging then I'd at least like to see the option of an official (i.e. sold by Dragonbox Shop) option that would be known to work with the Pyra. For an added bonus it would be hoped that the optional 'sticker' would also work with Pandora as IIRC the plan is to use the same battery for Pyra as for Pandora.

I would love for an unbreakoffable magnetic charging cable plug.  I've loosened up my charging port by ignorantly trying to pick up my Pandora while it was plugged in and yanking the cord.

I want wireless charging so when on vacation, if I forget the charger at home in the USA, I can charge my Pyra from France :)

This is one extra considered unneeded by some that I would really, really, really want. The faster charging jacks disappear from this world the better!

Edit:

As far as I know wireless charging does not have any weak points in the same way that a standard charging system does. If the system uses MicroUSB there is a pretty good chance we could run into problems further down the line, it has a bit of a track record for being crappy. I don't see how we could ensure that whichever company puts the PCB together makes sure each port has a super-awesome strong connection to the board, moreso than Blackberry, HTC devices etc. I look after my devices and I have had multiple MicroUSB breakages, it really does seem as if they break due to normal usage withing 3-4 years. I'd say this is due to bad luck, but as shown from the link i'm not alone here.

I'd say that i'd love this as an optional extra simply for the fact it takes physical connections out of the equation, which means less hassle for both me and ED when/if it breaks in the future. It might not be so bad for a phone which you replace every few years, but as we've seen with the Pandora this isn't a product where we get a new version a year. It needs to last. Having a barrel jack may somewhat mitigate my fears, but even that design as indestructible as I'd like. 

Could we get confirmation from ED that the Pyra will/will not have a Barrel jack? It could swing a decision in favor of wireless charging capabilities for some.

How easy could we make it to replace such a jack? 

wireless charging does not have any weak points
Mechanically, none

Figuratively, there are a few.

1. The standards haven't completely stabilised
  2. it prevents you using the device while charging
  3. It is less (but not much less) efficient
  4. Routing cables from the receiver coil from under the battery could be difficult, unless the battery slid out sideways (as someone suggested)
However, I have no objection to new features if they are physically, small, cheap and popular.

You know what? If it's relativity cheap,why not? I'm guessing it would come with a charger pad with Pyra on it. :p

^ Re #2

Can Mr_Loon confirm if the Nexus 5 can be charged and used simultaneously via cable.

I would really like wireless charging, but not at the loss of being able to charge while on the go via mains/USB.

Can it break? How solid is this 'new' technology?

Wireless charging does not automatically remove the ability to have standard wired charging. Unless it was intentionally (or inconveniently) designed that way, but I can't see ED making that kind of design decision.

Voted no since I don't really care about it at all.

That does not mean that I am against it - as long as it doesn't have a significant impact on either cost or other features.

^ Re #2

Can Mr_Loon confirm if the Nexus 5 can be charged and used simultaneously via cable.

I would really like wireless charging, but not at the loss of being able to charge while on the go via mains/USB.
Yes, I can confirm that. For the Nexus 5, and for that matter every other phone with wireless charging, it is an additional way to charge the device rather than an alternative.

Back