Is anyone interested in a Pyra XStylus?

rygD

Nihilistic Mystic
I am trying to get some feedback on a few things related to Pyra (and Pandora) specific versions of the XStylus. I emailed Elton, the creator of the XStylus, and mentioned my interest in a metal core version, and he still seems willing to do an XStylus for us.

There are a few videos out there of the prototypes, such as this one by ED:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Gv-gJr3wBD4?feature=oembed

Below are a few questions I came up with, but please make suggestions if I am overlooking something.

1.  If there was a version that was more durable than the Crayon, and was the same size as a Pandora stylus when closed, would you be interested in having this, either as the standard stylus or as an add-on option?

2.  What material would you prefer it be made of?

3.  Would you be willing to buy a metal core version, and if so what do you feel is a good price?

Last edited by a moderator:
  1. Yes, probably as an extra unless it was cheap
  2. Metal body, plastic tip?
  3. I'd pay up to £10 for a really good stylus

1) Standard. If it's not too much more. $8-$10?

2)

• Metal body, plastic tip?
Didn't think of that. Would a rubber tip be better?3) See 1)

So would you guys like an all metal body one with just the part that touches the screen in other materials (like most styli), or one with a metal core and plastic or rubber for the other half (where the tip is)?  I would love an all metal body one if he can pull it off.  I never saw the pics of the metal core prototype, but I guess it would look kinda like the Touch version.

Do you have a preference for or against the types of metal or plastic used?  The Pandora prototypes looked more flexible than my Crayons.

To me a stylus is a stylus unless it improves functionality in some regard. Whatever comes with the Pyra will be fine for me.

I guess I just cannot get excited about a stylus...

There was interest in an X-Stylus for the Pandora. He all but promised to produce one for us after the original X-Stylus was funded. That is the only reason I contributed to the project as much as I did, to knock it over the line. And then the Pandora X-Stylus not only didn't happen but EvilDragon was lead to believe that it had and ordered a bunch which turned out to just be 3DS ones that are now sitting in his shop unsold.

There was interest in an X-Stylus for the Pandora. He all but promised to produce one for us after the original X-Stylus was funded. That is the only reason I contributed to the project as much as I did, to knock it over the line. And then the Pandora X-Stylus not only didn't happen but EvilDragon was lead to believe that it had and ordered a bunch which turned out to just be 3DS ones that are now sitting in his shop unsold.
I remember all this.

I'd prefer ED to create a custom expandable stylus, but I doubt there's enough interest to offer it as an alternate stylus.

I read through a lot of the discussions about the Pandora XStylus.  I must have missed that ED purchased the ones in the shop under the impression that they were designed for the Pandora.

I have two main reasons for this thread.  The first is to see if people would either want one, or would at least be content if they were included with the Pyra.  The second is to see if there might be enough purchases of them with a metal core to convince Elton to make some available if a Pyra/Pandora version was mass produced.  

I am pretty sure ED wants to offer an expandable stylus of some sort, as I confirmed the expected Pyra stylus dimensions with him prior to contacting Elton, and he mentioned the XStylus.

How about a telescopic stylus?
Personally, I feel this falls somewhere between the Pandora stylus and an XStylus designed for Pyra/Pandora.  We get extra length, and maybe weight, but not the extra width.  If it is better than the one I tried, and the pieces I used to find around the house, I might be content with this as the standard Pyra stylus.  I don't know if the ones I encountered were Nintendo or third party products, but they sucked.

On second thought, if it felt good and was of high quality I might pay for one of these as an add on.

That is a great question.  I think it is something we would need to ask Elton, and probably depends on what screws are used.

flips into stylus, this bit is flat, so its good to get some leverage on the screw
                  |
                  |
                  |
<------------|
                  |
                  |
                  |
end of stylus, a screw tip goes here
The holes to put the screws in would need to be a big bigger to get the end of the stylus in, but other than that its an aftermarket change.

Sculpted Stylus made a unit for the Tapwave Zodiac that was the best I've ever seen/used.  I paid something on the range of $50 for a 3 pack of them back in the day.

If we could get a solid metal stylus like this that fills the stylus slot - with the plastic changeable tips - I'd be thrilled.

Apparently there is either still stock of them running around or someone has started making a copy of them:

http://www.retrotrader.com/product_info.php?products_id=2198

There is something about a weighty metal stylus that simply has a feeling of quality and control during use.

I read through a lot of the discussions about the Pandora XStylus. I must have missed that ED purchased the ones in the shop under the impression that they were designed for the Pandora.

I have two main reasons for this thread. The first is to see if people would either want one, or would at least be content if they were included with the Pyra. The second is to see if there might be enough purchases of them with a metal core to convince Elton to make some available if a Pyra/Pandora version was mass produced.

I am pretty sure ED wants to offer an expandable stylus of some sort, as I confirmed the expected Pyra stylus dimensions with him prior to contacting Elton, and he mentioned the XStylus.
The thing here is... can we trust him?

He once said he would make one for the Pandora and didn't do it.

Is anything lost by asking?

Of course this time ED should confirm the stylus to be a custom one specifically made for Pyra before ordering.

I guess because everything is "to expencive" as usual, we only get an cheap little one-piece-stick  as Pyra Stylus , maybe as bad as the Pandora Stylus (not even soft tip). I actualy like to draw but it's not that easy onto the Pandora, even with it's good graphics Software.

Removable tips woule be nice, like the ones for Wacom digitizers so we can customize our Pyra Styli. The idea with the included screw driver is also around since the early Pandora days. ;)

Fusion_Power, would you be willing to pay a little extra for a better stylus?

Is it correct that a good or replaceable tip is the most important improvement you want?

Back