WIP Report: No known hardware issues, 30 days of uptime

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
It's more than time for a small update.
There's not much to see - even though a lot is happening!

Why is that?

Well, right now, the main goals is to get all the hardware working so I can create an automatic testing card - which will not only test the units but also flash the OS onto the internal storage, etc.
This tester is needed for the production run so GC can quickly and easily test all produced boards and make them ready for development.
Also, with this tester, I can quickly find out whether the hardware still has issues or not.

Some (good) news about the results about that can be found further down.

Nikolaus did a great job getting all the hardware to work in the kernel and also code a large part of the testing routines.

I'm using his routines to create the automated tester.
Most of this is finished now!

So while it's not much to see, it's VERY very important.

Here are the tests already fully implemented in the tester:

• All sensors (Barometer, Gyroscope, Accelerator, Compass, Temperature)
  • Both SD-Card Slots
  • The USB Port
  • Temperatures (Battery, CPU)
  • Battery Gauge
  • 4G / LTE Modem and GPS
  • Wifi (incl. Speed test)
  • Vibration
  • LCD
  • All LEDs
  • eMMC

These are the tests that are implemented but need a bit more work:
  • Input tester (TILER rotation needs to be fixed) for all inputs (incl. touchscreen, nubs and lid-sensor)
  • Audio (this has just been fixed one or two days ago in the kernel)
  • USB OTG (need to figure out how to switch the SD-Card to mass-storage mode)
  • Bluetooth
  • Flashing the OS onto the eMMC (already manually tested, but need to implement it autoamtically)

I hope I haven't forgotten anything, but that should be it!
So yes, most of the tests are already working and testing the Pyra almost fully automatic - and the rest should be implemented pretty soon!
I'm trying the best I can - but as I'm no coder, writing the scrits is a bit slower than it could be.

I will do a video showing the test run incl. flashing the OS, as soon as it's finished.
While it's anything but spectacular, it's a VERY important process :)

What about hardware defects on the current revision?

So far, none are known. Everything seems to work now, which we could now test thanks to the existing test scripts.

notaz even did a burn-in test of a 4GB RAM unit with the DLL-Off patch: So far, it has been running over 30 days. Without reboot or being switched off.
No crash, nothing.

So it seems we're doing fine with that patch :)

Each day working with it, it seems less likely that we need anymore hardware fixes.
That's good, right?

... the cases?

I'll have more news about that soon, but give me a bit more time sorting everything out here.

EvilDragon in a live stream!

Naaah, not another "Ask-ED"-Stream - not yet. I will do another one when I can finally show off stuff running nicely on the Pyra.

And while this stream is more dedicated to new games on retro systems than the Pyra, some of you might be interested in it.

I'm guest in the upcoming show #32 of RetroBlah:
https://the.nag.zone/video/sendungen-formate/retroblah/

It's a german internet-only retro-gaming show. It'll surely be fun, so be sure to tune in if you're interested (and understand German).

That's it for today.
See you soon!

Of the boards you've been able to test thus far, how many have all features working? If few units have anything wrong with them that would suggest mass production at GC is simply a matter of pressing a few buttons to let everything run.

Of course, since you've only just got this script partially together, I guess you've been spending time on that rather than manually running tests on boards, but I hope you'll let us know once you get a feel for this kind of stat.

This is realy great news! I have full confidece, that you guys will do it!
Thanks also to notaz and Nikolaus and everybody who do there part of getting the Pyra of the ground.

Keep up the good work and visit some christmas markets.

OH YES!!!
503232133746393088.gif

So this means, mybe a bit more testing, and when the Keymat and the Cases arive, where are ready for massproduktion ??
Sounds great as the Nubs on my Pandora are slowly starts to make whyred things,

So this means, mybe a bit more testing, and when the Keymat and the Cases arive, where are ready for massproduktion ??
Maybe, but maybe not. All we know is that ED's got a unit where almost everything looks good, and Notaz has a unit which can stay up for a day. This is brilliant news, but there are a few more steps needed before you can hit the button marked 'mass produce', possibly the main one being the case still not being quite right.

Sounds great as the Nubs on my Pandora are slowly starts to make whyred things,
Only now? Blimey!

Great great news.

Question. do these sensors come with the non phone version?
  • All sensors (Barometer, Gyroscope, Accelerator, Compass, Temperature)

Maybe, but maybe not. All we know is that ED's got a unit where almost everything looks good, and Notaz has a unit which can stay up for a day.
Not just a day, a whole month. Of course there are more tests to be done, but that seems pretty significant imho.

Maybe, but maybe not. All we know is that ED's got a unit where almost everything looks good, and Notaz has a unit which can stay up for a day. This is brilliant news, but there are a few more steps needed before you can hit the button marked 'mass produce', possibly the main one being the case still not being quite right.

Only now? Blimey!

It’s since mybe August, but i didn’t bother much as i can still play Super Mario Land ^^

Not just a day, a whole month. Of course there are more tests to be done, but that seems pretty significant imho.
Good point. When I'm in quoting mode, the title crops to ending with 'hardware issues, 30...ime' for me, which I assumed was 30 hours. I'd forgotten, but you're right, it's been up for longer than a month (providing that month is February)

Poor @matzesu - English isn't his first language, but as an Englishman living in nearby Denmark, I guess he means 'worn' as in 'worn out'. Things wear out, so I think he tried to put 'wear' in the past tense and with bad spelling of 'wear' instead of 'weared' he got 'whyred'.

Fantastic news. Time to look for accessories!
Looks like SD cards are comparable cheap these days. What speed (IOPS) do I need? Sandisk Ultra, Extreme or ExtremePro?

Poor @matzesu - English isn't his first language, but as an Englishman living in nearby Denmark, I guess he means 'worn' as in 'worn out'. Things wear out, so I think he tried to put 'wear' in the past tense and with bad spelling of 'wear' instead of 'weared' he got 'whyred'.

Yup - I know that English is not his first language. He accidentally invented a great word - which I find excellent! I was not intending to tease.

No I exactly meant „weird“
When I use the nub in mouse mode, the cursor gets forced to the screen corner

Which is why the word/spelling you accidentally chose is so amazing - I knew near to exact what you meant. "weird" is so mundane and generic - it can mean a wide variety of intentional or unintentional variations in anything. "whyred" implies so much more information - less predictable, less intentional, more wonky, further out on the unintentionally "weird" continuum.

Still too early to derail a news thread for this though - wait another 9+ days?

why red,

some other canned color?

so mother can't color?

my wife is not hopeful on the timeline, but i'm excited about the potential next year. good work everyone!

Fantastic news. Time to look for accessories!
Looks like SD cards are comparable cheap these days. What speed (IOPS) do I need? Sandisk Ultra, Extreme or ExtremePro?

It really depends on what you're planning on doing with these SD cards. I think any Class 10 cards will be fine, you can probably ignore any marketing material!

I have 2 Kingston 512GB cards which one is already in my Pandora and is working nicely. on there.

Back