Wind And Water: Puzzle Battles Official Release!

Fantastic game, as ever. Thought of a really nice addition if you guys are willing to put in quite a few extra coding hours, though. Here it is:

We're already uploading our stats to the web as a community - so why not make it more than a list competition - why not let us simulate PvP battles? How would you do that over insane distances and with no net connection, you ask?

Answer: Rig it.

Basically, if you track, say, the approximate strength that someone is over, say, the last 10 levels they've played (it's unfair to use much before that since people do get stronger after all), the types of move they tend to perform, average combo size etc. then you could theoretically create a battle-character from those stats by rigging the board to be good for the sorts of moves that person tends to prefer and setting the AI to perform those moves.

In other words, we could go to the W&W website, log in, and challenge anyone on the leaderboard by downloading their characterfile and playing against it. Not quite as good as playing in person, but if it were done right you ought to end up with an identical skill level.

Not sure quite how hard it'd be to program, but it'd be cool to actually have everyone see eachothers' sprites and play against as many different playstyles as there are under the sun.

And to play against the best players and find out just how badly they'd have whooped you if you could really compete with them lol!

Oh what fun. I am moderately terrible at this game, but it is still a blast. So, a15 is a dead end with a normal complete..thats a bummer but I guess Ill have to find the more impossible way to beat it. I can't believe how challenging some of this stuff is and I go back to stuff I thought was a bit tricky and its not hard at all anymore..now to just beat this damned boss of e (I have a feeling the pain is just begining)

Thank you so much! You deserve so much more than we can give you.

I think I might have found a bug..Im not sure what triggered it but it seemed if a void block dropped into a corner during a combo it would flash, make a sound like adding to the combo more then once and then just disappear and blocks would fall to replace it. Might have been my imagination it is late :D

(I need to get my pic in for my sprite)

Tobriand said:
Fantastic game, as ever. Thought of a really nice addition if you guys are willing to put in quite a few extra coding hours, though. Here it is:

We're already uploading our stats to the web as a community - so why not make it more than a list competition - why not let us simulate PvP battles? How would you do that over insane distances and with no net connection, you ask?

Answer: Rig it.

Basically, if you track, say, the approximate strength that someone is over, say, the last 10 levels they've played (it's unfair to use much before that since people do get stronger after all), the types of move they tend to perform, average combo size etc. then you could theoretically create a battle-character from those stats by rigging the board to be good for the sorts of moves that person tends to prefer and setting the AI to perform those moves.

In other words, we could go to the W&W website, log in, and challenge anyone on the leaderboard by downloading their characterfile and playing against it. Not quite as good as playing in person, but if it were done right you ought to end up with an identical skill level.

Not sure quite how hard it'd be to program, but it'd be cool to actually have everyone see eachothers' sprites and play against as many different playstyles as there are under the sun.

And to play against the best players and find out just how badly they'd have whooped you if you could really compete with them lol!
This brings me to another Idea for the W&W Website:
Maybe Yuan Works could add a simple (flash?) Wind and Water Game on their website so they could catch many people who don't have the game because they don't have a GP2X. Maybe this way people could play together or against each other (on one PC?) or something like this.
Nothing complex, just the basic Game of wind and water with the W&W graphics, endless Mode or 2-Player battle. Would be a great advertisement I think and maybe people are so exited about, that they will buy the game and a GP2X (or Dreamcast :lol: ) to play it. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Moxie: Hi! Sorry for the delay :( we were really busy with the release and there are quite a few sprites left but Yuan is drawing the sprites real quick and will probably finish them all this week!

Tobriand: That sounds complicated! But fun nevertheless :p I think it would be more "real" to be able to record a 2-minute Time Battle and then play against the "ghost" of another person! Too much programming for now, we'll see what can be done later!

Greenmikey: Your bug well... it's not a bug it's a Special Clear :D You'll need it somewhere a couple of worlds ahead! And stage A15's special clear is H-A-R-D I don't think Yuan can actually do it, and I really have a hard time clearing it (well, at least with the GP2X stick)

Fusion: The game is now exclusive on GP2X, and we prefer to keep it away from PC's :)

*Uploading stats...*

Top 3 Hi-Combo: (blocks cleared in a single Combo)
chemaris . . . .44
BUHOnero . . . 42
BuD . . . . . . . . 42

Top 3 Total Played Hours:
MutkaHeki . . 13:58:54
Izomiac . . . . . 12:38:24
Chermaris . . . 11:26:51

Oh, out of interest, is there any way apart from trial and error to get hints on what the special complete for each level is? I've only ever managed it in the vs battles because, I assume, it's impossible to do otherwise.

Also, if you're asked for a x-block combo, is it reasonably safe to ssume that an (x+y)-block one would suffice?

A r k said:
[
Fusion: The game is now exclusive on GP2X, and we prefer to keep it away from PC's :)

The second Dreamcast game being showcased by the company at Leipzig is Wind and Water Puzzle Battles developed by Yuan Works. This is a port of the GP2X Arcade/Action/Puzzle game that is available for pre-order at the game's official GP2X site here (the GP2X version will also be showcased at Leipzig as well). According to RedSpotGames, the Dreamcast port will feature a 4 player mode (as opposed to the GP2X 2 players) and exclusive secret characters.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tobriand:
Well... there's *some* way to know about special missions :) Right now is only trial and error, but yes, sometimes for example if the mission is clearing a 20 block combo, the special one could be clearing a 30 block combo. Some other special missions are a bit more creative :D

argor: It's NOW exclusive for the GP2X :p, not that it WILL be exclusive for the GP2X ;) Anyway, that version is far from being materialized, so pretty much it WILL be exclusive for the GP2X for quite a while :)

A r k said:
Moxie: Hi! Sorry for the delay :( we were really busy with the release and there are quite a few sprites left but Yuan is drawing the sprites real quick and will probably finish them all this week!

Oh, no sweat - As long as I'm not forgotten, or lost in the bit bucket, I'm quite happy to play W&W whilst I wait :)

I've been following the progress and it's great to see a release, tried out the final demo and have loved it and so have just this minute purchased and am looking forward to enjoying the full version - brilliant work and a truly wonderful game and concept and the implementation is fantastic - Your hard work is greatly appreciated and I'm sure it will also pay off, you certainly deserve it to :)

Just wanted to add a side note, that one thing I love about the GP2X is being able to have everything, all my games, on one storage card, so it's great you're offering a DRM-free download version - once again, very much appreciated. Furthermore, the interaction you've given on here and the idea of stats is great and truly makes a positive difference! Only been playing the demo today and already been showing it around, think I've convinced a couple of people to get a GP2X just for Wind and Water ;)

Truly wonderful and thanks again! Congratulations on the release and best wishes - this game'll sell like hot cakes!

Thanks! :D Just saw you register, thanks for supporting and I'm sure you will be convinced with the final version :)! It's really paying off and we love how people are really IN the game, commenting, asking about stuff, uploading saves, everything!

I'm still tired from not-sleeping 5 days straight with the release, but right now with so many saves I'm just as impatient and anxious as everyone is with the W&W Stats page! :p Working on it right now and expecting to have something ready for tomorrow or Wednesday. I hope you love it and if you ever get a craddle you can beat your friends too :p!

Thanks really, back to work, gotta get those stats working!!

norm said:
i suck so bad at this game :( and my sd card corrupted yesterday and i lost my save data :(
It's a matter of practice, really! :) Don't lose the spirit!

Sorry to hear about the sd card :( about the save, if you have any .bak or .bak2 files and they work, you can use them. Not the latest save but should be better!

If you uploaded a save file then I can retrieve it for you too!

Either Yuan, I have a question. I try to get a combo, but it gives me a timed combo. Am I missing something?

PSyMastR said:
Either Yuan, I have a question. I try to get a combo, but it gives me a timed combo. Am I missing something?
First, let me explain the three different "Combos":

Combo: Whenever you clear blocks that are not part of a Chain or Special Clear.
Time Combo: Same as above, only that you have to clear them when you have time left in your time combo timer.
Total Time Combo: The Sum of all the Time Combos cleared while the Time Combo timer runs. After the timer ends, the total time combo is reset.

Notice that any Time Combo is also a Combo. So for example, if you have time combo timer running and burst 30 blocks, it will count as a Time Combo and as a Combo.

It's a little confusing, even for me, so don't worry about asking again if you have any doubts :)

Ah, I get it now. Thanks. i was just worried that my Time Combos were not counting as combos for the first one hit.

Wooo, I got my sprite! :D

The game rocks too, keep getting stuck, and actually having to *think* about how to complete some levels in story mode, which is strange for a game (usually you have done it before in some form) the first 3x Elemental that I have encountered is giving me a headache, but I'm enjoying trying to solve it :)

Gratz on a great game, and thanks for a great game :)

I've got a sprite! :)

I've also got a question: I play Arcade->Endless and score well upp into the 3-4000 range (maybe not that great, but hey, I'm old and slow :->), but my stats say Hiscore Endless: 648 or something like that. Do I have to unlock something in the story mode for the endless scores to "stick", or do I have a bug?

Apart from that, I'm stuck at D09 (or something like that) - I'm too slow to manage 150 blocks in 2 minutes! Ah, well...Back to practising. Anybody got any advice for getting up to speed? High altitude training? :lol:

Congratulation for your release :)
This game is looking good, I love the design.
Your hard work is really appreciated.
I will buy it tonight for sure.
Talking about "ghost" play: Perhaps a record of our games could be saved and sent to a server of yours so we can challenge other player's game?
This could be a nice feature to prolong the game lifetime!

Well I found your spoiler about faster map travel ;)
For the sound I am using gmenu2x to limit the sound
Only the too long "loose" animation is annoying to me now :p
8hrs played , stage A15 is something :eek:
Will try it again when I'll reach 20hrs of training ;)

Back