Wind And Water: Puzzle Battles For Wiz Released

YuanHao

Website
www.yuanworks.com
Hi everyone!

Wind and Water: Puzzle Battles - one of the commercial releases for the older GP2X, is released today for the GP2X WIZ!! :D Here's the official trailer (for Dreamcast):

Youtube (Low quality) - High Quality Here

For those who already know about the game, there are a ton of new features, including music tracks, new endings, rebalanced gameplay, and much more!

amy_cook.jpg
vmu_vs2.jpg

And for those who are new to the game, W&W is an extensive Action-arcade puzzle game with more than 100 stages, hundreds of funny story dialogues and missions, tons of minigames, and studio-mastered music.

A W&W demo for the WIZ is available here.

More screenshots and videos are available here and even more here!

The game costs $16 (~10 Euro) the download version. And for $8 more ($24 total ~16 Euro) you get a customized sprite based on your picture and you can Order here. Here are some from the GP2X version:

sprites4.jpg

People who supported us on the GP2X version before get the WIZ version for free :) just login on the Members area!

Any questions feel free to reply to this thread or visit the W&W website.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool,

This give me the interest to digg out my Gp2x or my Dreamcast :) ( Yup I've bought the two ... )
This is realy a good puzzle game :p

Thanks and keep up good works... If I were to buy a gp2x wiz, I would be realy happy with it :)

paxl

sbock said:
Nice! Thanks for the free version for GP2x users. :)

Sure :) if you have a WIZ, I'd recomend that you try it out, since there are many improvements in music, art, and especially the first ending (if I recall right you won the game right sbock?) The GP2X save file is compatible so you just need to copy it to your WIZ and voila.

paxl thanks for all the support! The DC version is very similar to the WIZ one :)

A r k said:
sbock said:
Nice! Thanks for the free version for GP2x users. :)

Sure :) if you have a WIZ, I'd recomend that you try it out, since there are many improvements in music, art, and especially the first ending (if I recall right you won the game right sbock?) The GP2X save file is compatible so you just need to copy it to your WIZ and voila.

paxl thanks for all the support! The DC version is very similar to the WIZ one :)

I need to pass the Dreamcast version to see the difference between the gp2x and the DC one. Also,
I never got to finish the gp2x one since with the stick it became too difficult at one point. Don't
remember where tough :) I'll probably rehook'up my DC to my vga monitor later this night.

The wiz seem to be the way the gp2x should have been but I don't have another 170 buck to fork out :(

Thanks for your marvelous game :)
paxl

W00t! I'm so glad to see that not only does the Wiz get a release of this fine game, but that I also get it free!!! (being a starving student can really hurt sometimes...)

Glad to see you continue to support the underdogs!

Is there going to have a faq about the multiple ending in each stage of the game :p
I'm currently trying to finish it but I see in the preview video that they seem to
have a LOT of second ending in each stages :)

Thanks for the info,
paxl

Wow, thanks for the treat!
Getting the Wiz Version for free is an awesome gesture! Thank you so much!

Is there any way to reduce the tearing? Wow, what a design flaw of the Wiz this is ...

Anyway, is there any startup parameter to reduce the sound volume?

Thanks
Sebastian

paxl13 said:
Is there going to have a faq about the multiple ending in each stage of the game :p
I'm currently trying to finish it but I see in the preview video that they seem to
have a LOT of second ending in each stages :)

Thanks for the info,
paxl

No FAQ, but there's an item in the shop that may help you get the second ending :)

Tearing is terrible and pollux doesn't seem to do much. Apparently flipping the screen on SDL is not possible without a workaround, will take a look further, and to the volume issue too. If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be grateful!

A r k said:
Tearing is terrible and pollux doesn't seem to do much. Apparently flipping the screen on SDL is not possible without a workaround, will take a look further, and to the volume issue too. If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be grateful!

For tearing? Yes, I can help here.

It appears when you open up a game using a 320x240 screen, as the OLED runs in 240x320.

So basically, there are two solutions. For both you need to run the game on a 240x320 screen, not on a 320x240.

a) Code the game 90 degrees rotated. Depending on how you created the graphics and did code the game, it might be a lot of work or not too much work.
B) Use a virtual screen buffer and put your 320x240 output there. Then rotate tha buffer and output it on the 240x320 screen. This is a performance hit, but it just adds a routine for graphics output and should work.

You can use OGLES to rotate the screen, AFAIK PicoDrive, gpsp and MAME have that included, so you can take a look there.

Hope it helps :)

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
You can use OGLES to rotate the screen, AFAIK PicoDrive, gpsp and MAME have that included, so you can take a look there.
Nope, they all do that in software, I don't think GL rotate code exists.

notaz said:
EvilDragon said:

Wow, really? It's so fast I thought it was using GL.

Is it a routine that could easily be implemented into other games or is it specific to the emulator?

Last edited:
I don't think GL rotate code exists.

The commercial 2D puzzle game Propis uses OpenGL for graphic output but I'm not sure if it's using rotation...

Dogma-G the developer of Propis uses a special SDK called DGE.

EvilDragon said:
notaz said:
Wow, really? It's so fast I thought it was using GL.
The performance hit is ~10-20%.

EvilDragon said:
Is it a routine that could easily be implemented into other games or is it specific to the emulator?
Don't know for MAME but PicoDrive/gpSP rotates every few lines to reduce cache trashing; gpSP has rotation merged with scaling in scaled mode, so yes, this is emu specific.

Thanks EvilDragon and Notaz too :D

Rotating the final buffer won't be much of a trouble and I hope there won't be a performance hit since W&W runs pretty well on the original GP2X. I'm taking a look into that and will hopefully have a fix for that soon enough.

About the volume, it seems to run too loud or too soft sometimes, any info about that?

EDIT: Is SDL_gfx's rotozoom good enough for 90° transformations?

tried the demo yesterday for a few minutes. it's really nice and polished! well done :)

Back