Will Pyra have a double sized space bar?

Mr_Loon

Can't Remember
Hi ED,

I was thinking about posting in the Final Keyboard Layout Proposals thread created by _wb_

However before doing this it would be useful to know a couple of things :

1) Will Pyra have a double width space key?

2) If the answer to question 1 is yes then where will the spacebar be located?

No worries if no decisions has been made on these minor issues, I'll just wait until a decision is made before submitting a layout proposal. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not? A space bar is wider, I know no single device where a space bar is jsut a single button. ;) I'm not ED but 99,9% sure the Pyra will get an space bar that is at least 2 keys wide.

There are many devices where the space is a single button, making it a bar has to do with being able to hit it with two thumbs. If it is put on the side that seizes to be a point, and it doesnt make for faster actuation.

ED has said this about the matter.

Putting the space down and center on a two thumb keyboard, where it would reflect a 10 finger position, loses out on actually being central.

F and L (or D and K if you use more than the reduced set of letters in your alphabet/advanced punctuation typing) are the most central positions. If you have to alternate in/down for every time you press space, it actually is farther than just downwards.

Staying with efficiency, it is important that comma is close to space, so that they can be typed in a string.

Curiously the reason why qwerty is less efficient than other layouts is it lacks many of the clusters of oft used together blocks that other layouts have.

Edit: The decision cant be made without first considering the options. And the options to be considered are fully balanced, final layouts. Since one extra key, or position, plays a huge role.  It is possible to do a space bar down center, but my attempts at doing it proved impossible, which is to say they resulted in too ugly a compromise. Do one thing and another thing suffers.

I don't agree with the opinion that Space should be moved to the center of the Pyra keyboard, I love it exactly the size and exactly the location it is on the Pandora.  It worries me that some people would have Space moved somewhere where I can't press it while holding the Pyra in one hand, as Space is always the "easy key" used for lazy things like "next," "go on," "yes," while my other hand is busy elsewhere.

To give some answer:

The current state is double sized space bar.

The 3 3D printed prototype housing had it and also the first sample of the keymat is with a double sized space bar.

For the final housing I haven's heard of any plans to make the space bar smaller.

I would recommend to everyone who is discussing the layout to at lease have a backup solution with a double sized space bar where it in on no Pandora (Low keyboard row, second right button)

Yep, I still want a space bar, not a space button (or button from outer space :D )
Am I correct in guessing you want it in the place it has been on the prototype cases (and the Pandora)?

I am not one to frequent bars, but I can see the appeal of a space bar.

How about a diverent LED Colour for the Spacebar??

Or are they allready multicolour LED so whe will be abble to enlight our Pyra Keyboard whit every Colour whe want via Menü??

(Whould be isefull to gave every Pyra a spezial Light Code : mybe the letters "m a t z e s u" will be enlight par exemple on my device in blue, so i know its my Pyra...)..

I think the LEDs for the keyboard are all white.  Amongst other things, this prevents issues with key markings that might be in colors other than white.  I was hoping for red backlighting of keys, but sticking with white makes sense for many reasons.  This might cut down on costs a little as well.

Yeah, the RGB LED was chosen to be placed on the back of the lid where we can't see it.  I wonder if it will be really really difficult to switch those around later.

Ok, so just make the keys they spell your nikname brighter or put the light out on them...

Nah with light is also great, beside some Handy Keyboards, this will be my first Device whit Englighted Keys...

I wants to sit in Starbugs or MC Donalds near some of this Apple Hipsters whit theyre MC Book, turn round my Coffee whit the tool in my Swisschamp, and takes out my Pyra whit the Enligted Keyboard and the Enlighted Logo, and then im the Burgerking :)

I agree with comradekingu, that putting a (two-wide) spacebar to one side of the device seems wasteful.  What about the Dvorak enthusiasts who want a single-wide spacebutton?  Can we have a vote?  

Yeah, the RGB LED was chosen to be placed on the back of the lid where we can't see it.  I wonder if it will be really really difficult to switch those around later.
One RGB LED is three LEDs at once, so you need three times as many I/Os for that.

Additionally, they are also more expensive, and I guess we need about 10 - 15 LEDs for a evenly lit keyboard backlight.

How about a diverent LED Colour for the Spacebar??
Wouldn't be possible, as there's no LED for each key (would be total overkill - especially in power usage). One LED is for multiple keys.

I agree with comradekingu, that putting a (two-wide) spacebar to one side of the device seems wasteful.  What about the Dvorak enthusiasts who want a single-wide spacebutton?  Can we have a vote?  
Well, you can modify the case and mainboard when the files have been released ;)

I'm assuming the double width space will follow the same principle as on the Pandora? Physically two pads that are just connected together? Depending on how it's laid out it might be easy to just cut the trace and and have two keys, but I don't know how GTA04 arranged them.

Well, you can modify the case and mainboard when the files have been released ;)
It would be much easier to cut the separator between two keys out to create a double wide space bar than to try and create a separator.

Would it be possible to just use two seperated pads on the pcb and having a Spacebar on the keymat with two conductive parts? This way people who would like to make two buttons out of the spacebar would just need to cut the bar in half and alter one keyassigment.

Back