Which one do you want first? (+video)

Which one do you want first?

• 1st-person digging game ( similar to Minecraft )

Votes: 26 25.0%
  • 3rd-person fortress management game ( similar to Dwarf Fortress, in 3D graphics, NOT in text mode)

Votes: 24 23.1%
  • 3rd-person quest game with random destructable world (eg: "legend of some princess" meets

Votes: 38 36.5%
  • RTS game with random destructable / constructible world (aka tower defense / starcraft)

Votes: 16 15.4%

• Total voters

EDIT: I've added an RTS option

EDIT: video

https://www.youtube.com/embed/lyCJ4YxodDQ?feature=oembed

I got my 3D engine to the point where I should start making a game with it.

then I found out about the competition like you guys (Buh? Whaaaaaat? )

so I got the cross-compiling to ARM working, fixed the OpenGL ES subsystem, whipped up a quick cube/chunk rendering subsystem, made 4 tiles and a quick semi-random+sine land generator to try it out and test performance on OMAP3 (BeagleBoard @ 720Mhz) to see if it was possible at all, and here we are.

the poll choices are the 3 projects I'm interested in developing with this tech, you guys get to influence my pick :D

its normally running around 40fps in that window (the FPS drops whenever I hit {print screen} to get a screenshot, you can see the cpu spiking in the system monitor),

not quite done with the optimizations yet and the Pandora is faster than the BB so things are looking good.

click the spoiler button for screenshots.

possible 3rd-person quest camera angle:

cube_engine1.png

3rd-person strategy camera angle:

cube_engine2.png

1st-person camera angle:

cube_engine3.png

and unlike a certain well known game ;) , this engine has mipmaps and built-in supports for higher/lower res texture packs, even different resolutions per tile faces.

but the best part: it runs on the Pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:
If there will be something like dungeonkeeper come out of this, it would be really nice, hope you meant that style of game with the second option.

It looks really good so far!

Tower Defense game with easy create/destruct world.

For Example: Before putting a tower you can create your sorroundings [all land - mountain / river / trees]

Hey looking good!

Quite frankly I'm excited about whatever it is you choose to work on first... I guess my question would be: Which option will be able to receive the most polish by competition deadline?

I guess a MineCraft clone would probably get lots of votes - especially with higher res textures and running nicely on the Pandora... but isn't that a mammoth task? How are you going to generate random worlds with believable geography?

Hey looking good!

Quite frankly I'm excited about whatever it is you choose to work on first... I guess my question would be: Which option will be able to receive the most polish by competition deadline?

I guess a MineCraft clone would probably get lots of votes - especially with higher res textures and running nicely on the Pandora... but isn't that a mammoth task? How are you going to generate random worlds with believable geography?
to put things in perspective, according to the wikis:

minecraft started May 10, 2009

dwarf fortress started 8th of August 2006

I really doubt It'll be completed by the compo deadline :p , 9 weekends isn't a lot of time but I can probably get it to the point where it starts to be fun to play.

the compo ending does not mean I have to stop working on it. I'm making one of these in my free time because I want to play whichever on my Pandora ^_^ (in two monthstm :lol: )

third person suck in 3d... thus I choosed the first option...

Could you describe a bit more about the options? Objectives of the games (ie. will the digging one just be construction, or will there be some purpose to it?) etc.?

If by fortress management, you mean tower defense, then you are my hero. :wub:

I like streaks idea. Why not combine all 3 ideas? Random 3d world that you dig to build towers and manage them as enemy's fight through an ever changing, destructible world. :p Sounds awesome to me.

This is not a very helpful poll. :D

uYuVd.png

its ...

yah.

on one hand its not helping me pick one at all, on the other hand its hilarious.

I'm thinking its possible to combine all 3 options in one and make it good, but definitely not implement all that at the same time :p anyone got a cloning machine ?

I tried the old fashioned way but my kid is taking too long to learn coding :lol:

oh well, I'll just pick the one I want to play first ^_^

thanks for the cheers guys.

added a 4th option (you can delete your vote and vote again for another choice)

there's still lots of time, I can't resume on it until Friday night.

Though I voted for "3rd-person quest game", I would be fine with having it in 1st person. And at that point, you might as well add digging :p .

Though I voted for "3rd-person quest game", I would be fine with having it in 1st person. And at that point, you might as well add digging :p .
yeah, like I said, its possible to combine all those game plays into one open sandbox game even tho it'd be a lot of work and hard to make all aspects as fun as they could be.

the difference I'd see between the quest game and the digging/mining game is the main game play focus, quest would be less about crafting/digging and more killing monsters for loot and going to shops/NPCs for supplies altho both would/could involve building, digging and crafting.

the same for fortress management vs tower defense, one is more focused about managing the day-to-day workings of the fortress, the other is more about almost relentless attacks even tho both involve building and gathering/managing resources.

Made a video running on the BB:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/lyCJ4YxodDQ?feature=oembed
rendering will speed up a little once I re-enable mipmaps.

the chunk geometry update and disk I/O is fully multi-threaded so the game keeps running smoothly as the environment changes.

( @EvilDragon: see? multiple cores on P2 would be very useful ;) )

there's still a small issue with Linux buffering writes for a while then dumping all at once causing reads from the SD card to occasionally stall the game for a very short time.

its easy enough to fix, all I need is to add a read-ahead cache feature, no biggie.

haven't had the time yet with work and other life stuff.

Maybe they'll be just as useful on P1... http://boards.openpa...-for-c6000-dsp/

maybe.

unlike video and audio decoding and mixing, the geometry generation is of very variable length complicating the CPU<->DSP handshake.

but definitely something to look into when we get DSP support in gcc.

especially since the chunk generator can run multiple threads on separate chunks in parallel, both CPU and DSP can work at the same time and I can FIFO the DSP data structures

to have it start on the next chunk while the CPU retrieve the generated geometry.

Wow, that's looking damned good. Have you tried running it on a Pandora? What's it like on there ATM?

Back