Which one do you want first? (+video)

Which one do you want first?

• 1st-person digging game ( similar to Minecraft )

Votes: 26 25.0%
  • 3rd-person fortress management game ( similar to Dwarf Fortress, in 3D graphics, NOT in text mode)

Votes: 24 23.1%
  • 3rd-person quest game with random destructable world (eg: "legend of some princess" meets

Votes: 38 36.5%
  • RTS game with random destructable / constructible world (aka tower defense / starcraft)

Votes: 16 15.4%

• Total voters

Wow, that's looking damned good. Have you tried running it on a Pandora? What's it like on there ATM?

I don't have my pandora yet, still waiting somewhere in line on the first batch.

from what has been said, the Pandora is slightly faster than the BeagleBoard so it can only run better :)

Don't really fancy anything tower defence like, but a Minecraft/rpg style game with a bit more focus would be fantastic.. take it easy though Stephane, we don't want you burning out man..!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like an RTS like SC, but truth be told, I'm not sure how playable it would be. RTS's usually require a lot of mouse and keyboard action, so unless you connected an external mouse, that'd be pretty difficult to control.

from what has been said, the Pandora is slightly faster than the BeagleBoard so it can only run better :)
Are BeagleBoards basically the same as the Pandora's motherboard then?

Unfortunately i cannot see the video, Flash blocked, but congrats on making your game engine.

What about games like Gravity on the DS

http://uk.gamespot.com/professor-heinz-wolffs-gravity/

And Mercury on the PSP

http://uk.gamespot.com/archer-macleans-mercury/

both of which had me hooked to completion [though I dont think i did ever complete Mercury before selling my PSP ... which was sold for a few extra quid to put on my Pandora pre-order]

I love these type of games, I think its PokeParadox which i will be heading to the repo and d/l the day i get my Pandora, that looked along these lines.

Any chance your engine can manage these style games too?

And 'what' category do these 2 games fall under, just 'puzzle games' or another genre also?

Otherwise, i will vote RTS

A dwarf fortress game in pandora would be awsome!

is there any game like this already in the pandora?

I would like an RTS like SC, but truth be told, I'm not sure how playable it would be. RTS's usually require a lot of mouse and keyboard action, so unless you connected an external mouse, that'd be pretty difficult to control.

The first Gen Beagleboard As mentioned above they have the same SOC and has essentially the same RAM 256MB of SDRAM like the first generation of Pandora, but only has 256MB of NAND space where as the Pandora has 512MB.

The first Gen Beagleboard As mentioned above they have the same SOC and has essentially the same RAM 256MB of SDRAM like the first generation of Pandora, but only has 256MB of NAND space where as the Pandora has 512MB.

yeah,

I have a Rev C. BeagleBoard with Ubuntu, display set to 800x480, OS on the SD card.

some progress on the world generator:

flat-ish land & trees biome

cube_engine6.jpg

That looks great! Almost looks like one of those scanning electron microscope scans that have been false colored. :)

added mountain ranges, lakes (no water tiles showing yet) and a varying tree distribution

cube_engine7.jpg

going to catch some ZZZs now :lol:

That's looking pretty damned good. I can't wait to see what game you make out of it

Wow this looks amazing.

Looks as thought this might just be one of the feature games for the panda in my eyes

think along the lines of PSXrearmed and Mupen64 (for me atleast)

Keep up the great work!

Last edited by a moderator:
Getting the game engine to run smoothly enough to be playable with the limited write speed of SD cards and CPU speed was and is still quite a challenge.

There is still a lot of work to do engine-side before diving into the gameplay but for now I've enabled a temporary creative mode with a few tiles.

Thanks goes to Cloudef, EvilDragon and Gruso for help with the testing on Pandora.

beta_block_quest.jpg

Its far from done, this is just the beginning, a lot more to come in the following months.

Hey, this really looks good. And your world generation and the snow toped mountains are a nice contrast to the "usual" Minecraft Worlds. I hope it will run good on the Pandora, I wouldn't care if there also are just unfiltered 16x16 Pixel Textures if this gives a big performance boost. Maybe I've played to much minecraft but I don't need bilinear filtering in these kind of games. :D

That looks amazing!

Could be another compo where a Demo will be in top ranges :)

Getting the game engine to run smoothly enough to be playable with the limited write speed of SD cards and CPU speed was and is still quite a challenge.

There is still a lot of work to do engine-side before diving into the gameplay but for now I've enabled a temporary creative mode with a few tiles.

Thanks goes to Cloudef, EvilDragon and Gruso for help with the testing on Pandora.

beta_block_quest.jpg

Its far from done, this is just the beginning, a lot more to come in the following months.
Ok, I admit it: I laughed at the "Sharp Edges" punnery. :p

Back