What's The Best Racing Game?

SF Rush 2094. Dreamcast had the best version but not sure how the N64 version is. Another is Hydro Thunder. Again, Dreamcast version was the best but hopefully the N64 version did it justice. The PS1 version ... didn't like it.

Kayday said:
SF Rush 2094. Dreamcast had the best version but not sure how the N64 version is. Another is Hydro Thunder. Again, Dreamcast version was the best but hopefully the N64 version did it justice. The PS1 version ... didn't like it.
ah, i love hydro thunder, i almost mentioned it.
i have the n64 version, its good... its been a few years since i played it in the arcade, but the only real difference i can remember is the water doesnt look as good on the n64 (that and no vibrating chair :p ).
the way things are unlocked is set up different, also.

Last edited by a moderator:
For me it has to be the original arcade version of Outrun closely followed by Ridge Racer for PS1.

Well, people said that nintendo DS is likely to be emulated, if so, Mario Kart DS is sooo great.

I also like Outrun (MAME), Ridge Racer (PSX), Mario Kart (N64) and the different versions of Need for speed and Gran Turismo for the PSX should be good

I'll toss a couple personal favourites in, even if its low tech ;)

1) Buggy Boy (Atari ST port)
2) Super Sprint (Arcade or ST port; MAME requires a high res, which should be fine on Pandora.. no good for gp2x)

jeff

Well, I rather like MotoRacer (The psx versions being the likely candidates).

Oh, and do not forget Star Wars Ep 1: PodRacer on N64. Ep1 was apalling, but the racing game that came from it was one of the best I've played (and still plays very well today, despite that graphics have advanced significantly).

I'm interested in any interesting Sci-Fi-ey racers where you get to mess with things like gravity. Something tells me the Psx has a few of those...

efegea said:
Well, people said that nintendo DS is likely to be emulated, if so, Mario Kart DS is sooo great.
Well, keep in mind it'll take a lot of work. It won't be a walk in the park to get NDS running at any decent speed.

javaJake said:
Well, keep in mind it'll take a lot of work. It won't be a walk in the park to get NDS running at any decent speed.
I know, and because of that I said "if"

I would also love to see gran turismo 2 on my pandora :wub:

mario kart is only fun in multiplayer ...

btw this is my first post here, so hi all :blush:

Almost all of my choices have already been mentioned, but here goes.

For racing games, it will be all about a PSX emulator:
-Need for Speed series (1 is by far the best IMO, 3 is good too, as is Porsche Unleashed)
-Colin McRae 2
-TOCA
-Gran Turismo 1+2
-R4 - Ridge Racer
-Moto Racer 2
-Driver (if you consider that a racing game)

Outside of PSX, there are still a few all-time classics
-Mario Kart (I'm a SNES or GBA guy for this game)
-Wave Race 64
-Outrun for MAME
-RC Pro-AM 1+2 (also checkout Genesis version, Championship ProAm)

PS1 has to be GT2
PC Carmageddon or NFS:pU
SNES Mario Kart
Mega Drive Micro Machines series, Road Rash series
Atari ST Super Hang On

But the Daddy of them all has to be

Super Off Road

Tobriand said:
Oh, and do not forget Star Wars Ep 1: PodRacer on N64. Ep1 was apalling, but the racing game that came from it was one of the best I've played (and still plays very well today, despite that graphics have advanced significantly).
I hated that game. :\

BTW, another good racer for the N64 was Cruisin' USA.

And I can't believe I forgot Diddy Kong Racing in my last post. Definitely a first class game.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
And I can't believe I forgot Diddy Kong Racing in my last post. Definitely a first class game.
I enjoyed DKR as well, but the DS port can go somewhere and jump in a lake; A deep one, with man-eating fish.

javaJake said:
efegea said:

No doubt.

But of all the DS games, the ones I would most like to see emulated are the Phoenix Wright series, and ironically they're probably some of the least demanding game son the hardware (they're really not much more than GBA games technically speaking, except for a few occasional DS tricks).

Mind you I own a DS Lite of course. But if Pandora could play PW, that would rock.

supertuxkart 0.5 will be amazing and I'm almost sure it will be easy portable:)

Back