Who's into Racing Games?

Well I'd certainly go for the Gran Turismo series on PSX as mentioned. Amazing games that have aged very well and run very well. They look even nicer with the high-res renderer.

For a more arcadey-slant, you might give the Ridge Racer series a go, also on PSX. Ridge Racer R4 is probably the pinnacle of the series on PS1.

A D-Pad is no replacement for a steering wheel.
An awful lot of my precious spare time has been consumed with Gran Turismo 5 and a Logitech G27 racing wheel.

At LAN parties I used to wipe the floor with everyone that had a steering wheel with my N64 Controller to USB adapter or my Microsoft sidewinder flight joystick..

I find gaming steering wheels have too much unnecessary movement for competition, It's good for realism and that's about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you like the Need For Speed titles on Playstation 1, the handful of Test Drive games (4 to 6 IIRC) that were on PS1 were very similar (and a bit smoother/more arcade-ish resonsiveness), definitely worth a look. Avoid the 'Test Drive: Off Road' ones though, not memorable.

There are a lot of fun racing games that play great on the Pandora (too much to mention them all). If you compare racing games on Pandora with the ones on the latest consoles or PC then you will be disappointed for sure. Every new console generation improves on graphics and realism. So if you like realistic racing games, the latest popular console that is emulated well on the Pandora will provide the best (PS1). On the PS1, Gran Turismo is my favorite 'realistic' racer. 

That said, there are quite a few titles that are still fun if the graphics or lack of realism don't bother you. Stuntcar racer (Atari ST/Amiga) the unique Uniracers -Zero (SNES) and also SNES F-Zero are the games I still like to play.  

rock and roll racing for snes is a great one and think i got a tear in my eye when booting up GT2 with the high rez plugin also i know driver can be a pain in the ass to get started but is also very fun to play

I use to play tournaments (almost 15 years) with Momo racing wheel and a G25 later with simulators like Netkar Pro, LFS, rfactor and Speed Dreams.

But sometimes i like to play GT2, Pitstop II, Outrun, etc.

No need to fine setup the car or training before the race, ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back